That b*stard front grease nipple

big J

Ok, I've done over 20k miles on the old girl since I got her a year ago. I've tried every bloody engineers supplies shop and tool shop I can find and I still cannot find a fitting that I can get onto the front grease nipple. What are you guys this side of the pond using? I know that there's a fitting available in 'merickay, but I cant find sod all here.

You'd think with all the tractors roaming Ireland that grease nipples would be a national pastime, but I'm totally unable to track anything down.

Any info?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've done over 20k miles on the old girl since I got her a year ago. I've tried every bloody engineers supplies shop and tool shop I can find and I still cannot find a fitting that I can get onto the front grease nipple. What are you guys this side of the pond using? I know that there's a fitting available in 'merickay, but I cant find sod all here.

You'd think with all the tractors roaming Ireland that grease nipples would be a national pastime, but I'm totally unable to track anything down.

Any info?

84093[/snapback]

Are there any airports nearby? Most aircraft use the same type fittings and so you could quite likely find out where to get a needle fitting at most airports that have a maintenance facility. It may be called a zirk fitting as well.

Good luck!!

Jim

Yeah, I used to fix aeroplanes for a living,and I know the ones you're on about but I'd need to get about 10 kinds of clearance to even show my face at the door of the maintainance hangers at Dublin airport.

Thanks for the advice,tho, Big Chopper Jim :D

Like I've posted before BigJ, I've been looking out for such a fitting and haven't seen one yet. Haven't seen anything in catalogues either. There must be something available around the place...

By 'can't get onto the front fitting', do you mean you can't get a grease gun that is small enough or flexible enough to fit onto the front zirk? The most common solutions to this problem are to remove the rear wheel or simply elevate the bike, so the rear wheel drops down. That gives you a bit more space. Some folks have had luck with a rotating or gimballed zirk head and grinding it down so it fits into the space. I'm thinking about grinding a "U" off the safety collar so I can go at it from a straighter angle, but I'm very lazy so I haven't done that yet.

BTW, when you do get it greased, tape a piece of paper around that collar to catch the grease that flings off. It's easier to clean up that way.

Guest redguzziv10

i'm with jrt, did mine recently. By far the easiest way is to take the rear wheel off, a 20 minute job, well, nearly!

trouble is, because it is then an easy job, you tend to go a bit overboard. First time i went for a spin afterwards i managed to fling all the excess grease onto any passing pedestrian or vehicle.

Must have looked like a silage spreader from behind ! :lol:

By 'can't get onto the front fitting', do you mean you can't get a grease gun that is small enough or flexible enough to fit onto the front zirk?  The most common solutions to this problem are to remove the rear wheel or simply elevate the bike, so the rear wheel drops down.  That gives you a bit more space.  Some folks have had luck with a rotating or gimballed zirk head and grinding it down so it fits into the space.  I'm thinking about grinding a "U" off the safety collar so I can go at it from a straighter angle, but I'm very lazy so I haven't done that yet.

BTW, when you do get it greased, tape a piece of paper around that collar to catch the grease that flings off. It's easier to clean up that way.

84100[/snapback]

Yepadoodle,I have 4 grease guns with various fittings but I cant find anything that'll go down the tunnel in the swinger and bend enough to get the grease gun to go on.I've tried so often, I can get the wheel and brake off in a couple of minutes. I have loosened the shroud around the u/j but there's not enough room to bend the fitting onto the nipple behind the footrest plate.

Guest trispeed

I have had success with the needle type fitting on my small grease gun with a flexible hose, as opposed to the steel line. The needle type is available at any auto supply shop here in the States but I still had to bend it to fit, even with the wheel removed and shaft hanging low.

Practice getting the needle to open the grease fitting on the most accessible fitting first, just to get a feel for it.

If it would help, I'll take a photo and attach it.

I have had success with the needle type fitting on my small grease gun with a flexible hose, as opposed to the steel line. The needle type is available at any auto supply shop here in the States but I still had to bend it to fit, even with the wheel removed and shaft hanging low.

Practice getting the needle to open the grease fitting on the most accessible fitting first, just to get a feel for it.

If it would help, I'll take a photo and attach it.

84120[/snapback]

Yep,I've been looking for one of those needle type thingies,but no luck so far. The only ones over here are dirty great things for tractors and lorries.

Big J, you can see what I use to do mine. I've done mine twice now. The first time was when the bike was new, I took the wheel off and greased everything I could, shocky bushes, torque rod ends, all those sorts of things and secondly when I changed the rear tyre. Looking at my tyre, I'll being doing it for a third time at about the 8,000 mile mark.

With the wheel and bevel box removed, I lower the driveshaft as far as it can go then force the fitting onto the upwards facing nipple. The hose gets a fair bend to it but it works. If you could find a flexible hose with a shorter fitting anything less than my one at 6cm it would be a lot easier to work with.

Rob

greasegun.JPG