New accessory installation

dmoon64

Ok Guys,

I'm getting ready to tackle the installation of my newest accessory. My question is do you think I can do it? My tank bag came in :D

This is the one that my wife (maybe ex soon) got me as a Christmas present. Came in yesterday. No instructions so I am kind of nervous about screwing up the install. Will I need special tools???????

:bier:

Ok Guys,

I'm getting ready to tackle the installation of  My tank bag

nervous about screwing up the install. Will I need special tools???????

84107[/snapback]

For starters, don't use those screws.

Here are some tips:

(This is one of the most useful – Tape the bottom of the bag, eliminating corners that fish can wedge themselves into.)

Bag Preparation

The key to success is to plan ahead. Don't wait until the last minute for anything. Make sure that you have your bag, rubber bands, oxygen supply, boxes, tape, insulation, packing water materials (Sea Salts, AmQuel, Antibiotics), have the fish cleaned out, substrate and decorations cleaned, and capture nets or cups.

Bag Preparation

The bag should be minimum 2.5 mil thickness. For the larger, spinier fish like Surgeons, Triggers, etc., we used a triple layered 3 mil bags.

Different kinds of fish need more or less room in a bag, and more or less water. Keep in mind that it isn't so much the "water" that ensures a good "ride" for the fish, it is the column of O2. Most fish will do well in a bag that they can comfortably turn around in, depending on the length of the trip. Just enough water to keep them covered while swimming upright, plus and extra 1/2" of water in the bag is all that is needed. However, for larger more active fishes, like Wrasses, Triggers and Groupers as examples, they need more water coverage.

Make an "envelope" of newspaper, using about two or three thicknesses, to put between the bottom 1/3 of the bags. If a fish spine pokes through the first bag (and this happens alot), the newspaper will help stop the spine from going into the second or third bag, helping to retain the water. Even Wrasses can poke through a bag. Their pectoral fins contain a sharp spine. The other thing to consider are fishes that have sharp teeth, like larger Wrasses and Triggerfishes. Many times they will try and bite through a bag, so the use of a newspaper liner is wise.

Tape the bottom of the bag, eliminating corners that the fish can wedge themselves into.

Use Oxygen when you gas your bag. It might sound difficult to find, but it isn't, really. Nearly all shops that do auto work have an acetylene torch. You can use this quite nicely. It won't be "hospital grade", but we used this kind of O2 for years with great success.

I'm thinking of Blue Rams, and maybe introduce a good size school of Rummy nose tetras at a later date. The Rams are small so I shouldn't need very big bags. I hadn't thought of the O2 source. Maybe i'll try it with the bag open for awhile...

I'm thinking of Blue Rams, and maybe introduce a good size school of Rummy nose tetras at a later date. The Rams are small so I shouldn't need very big bags. I hadn't thought of the O2 source. Maybe i'll try it with the bag open for awhile...

84116[/snapback]

You may need to consider baffle plates if you're going to run it open

Sadly, now I need real answers.

The pad that gets left on the bike when you unzip the bag/backback is shaped like a big Y. The bottom part of the Y has two holes. Does the bolt that secures the back of the tank go through one of those holes securing the base of the Y under the seat?

The top of the Y has two straps that are adjustable. What do they secure to? They don't secure to the forks or triple clamps do they? Wouldn't that interfere with steering?

I can not believe this is this confusing to me! When I saw it had no instructions or pictures I knew I was in trouble...

:blush:

Sadly,

I can not believe this is this confusing to me! When I saw it had no instructions or pictures I knew I was in trouble...

:blush:

84138[/snapback]

So it was made for a man then! You're in luck. Instructions?? That's just a ploy by the paper industry to get us to buy more paper. They'd only be in Japanese anyway, and would describe the installation of a "similar" model.

Honestly, wish I could help... My tank bag just straps on.

Rj

I can not believe this is this confusing to me!

84138[/snapback]

Yes, it's hard to believe! :D

Usually a strap at the front will go down around the headstock and a strap at the back will go under / around the frame where the rear of the tank is, but I doubt if it uses the tank securing bolt. Have you got any extra straps with it?

Do the two top straps connect to each other?

What is the make of the tank bag?

Is it for any particular bike or is it a generic fitting?

Maybe it is for a different type of tank altogether.

The rounded plastic V.11 tank isn't great for attaching a bag to.

Can't you keep your fish in the tail-space?

Well I made sure I was getting the Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans tank bag. So the darn thing should work. The bolt fits great and the hole for the gas cap is perfectly aligned, but I can't for the life of me see a simple place for the two straps up top.

Oh well, More beer for me. Maybe a vodka tonic is in order, that'll get the brain going..........

:bier:

Well I made sure I was getting the Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans tank bag. So the darn thing should work. The bolt fits great and the hole for the gas cap is perfectly aligned, but I can't for the life of me see a simple place for the two straps up top.

84146[/snapback]

So what make is it?

You must be able to get the front straps round under the front of the frame or around the steering head. Do the ends not connect to each other?

Sorry BFG,

It's the Official Moto Guzzi tank bag bought from an official Moto Guzzi dealer that knows what bike I have. It even says V11 LeMans on the plastic bag it came in. No tag inside the bag or anything that says different. Has the Moto Guzzi logo on it.

On the upper Y legs are two strap sewn into the base. These strap have a femal plastic buckle sewn over the top of them. I have routed the straps around the head and buckled into the other Y leg opposite. So right strap is around the head and buckled to the left female part of the buckle and vice versa. Seems to be a strong tight fit, but just feels odd.

Well Jim at Ned's is in tomorrow, I'll see if that is the way it should be hooked up.

Thanks

I hear you comrade Smirnoff........... :drink:

I've got a huge Tour Master...good for napping on with both decks on.

I just run my front ( Y ) straps down around the frame.

Taking care that nothing interfears with the steering stabilizer.!

The back strap down under the seat.

Perfect cinching is required to keep it centered and behaving.

Hence I travel around with it lop-sided unless we're going to a formal

affair. Who cares...as long as I got my rain gear...sweater...tools and 12 pack!

Pay no attention to the peanut gallery. One strap goes around the square spine (drops between the cleft of the gas tank) and the other end gets bolted to the tank attachment in back. If you want, you can swing by my house and check out mine. It's 9pm (should this be in a different thread?) so I'm off to bed, but tomorrow I can shoot you a picture or two if you like and email them to you. Or you can stop by- I just picked up a six of Sierra pale and a six of Goose Island.

Is Ned's open late on Wed. night yet?

Sorry BFG,

It's the Official Moto Guzzi tank bag  bought from an official Moto Guzzi dealer that knows what bike I have. It even says V11 LeMans on the plastic bag it came in. No tag inside the bag or anything that says different. Has the Moto Guzzi logo on it.

84151[/snapback]

Ahhh, this explains why a Christmas present arrives in late March. :whistle:

Guest trispeed

I looped the two front straps around the front downtubes of the frame; the rear does use the tank mounting bolt; use the hole that lines up when you have the gas cap cut- out aligned properly.