Finally the Buell arrived

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Well it's here, and my wife was late home from work leaving me with the kid whilst itching to get out on it.

But at 4 o'clock I finally got to ride it.

The race kit is LOUD. I'm sure I'm going to get a pull very soon.

When hot, the engine fuels perfectly with oodles of creamy smooth torque from any revs, little vibration and a rorty note like a wartime fighter plane. Perfect.

When cold, the engine is a recalcitrant bastard that pops and backfires and refuses to idle which I guess is a lot to do with the race kit. Memo to self: Warm it up before riding in the wet.

Engine 8/10 warm, 3/10 cold (V11 6/10 hot or cold)

You wouldn't think such a compact bike would be comfy, but it is. I didn't get any sign of an ache on the wrists or bum, need to try over a longer distance than 70 miles. The suspension is sublime. Compliant without being soft, and despite the tiny wheelbase and steep head angle, isn't unsettled at all by potholes tramlines and undulations. Way more civilised than the V11. Sorry folks, it just is. The handling really flatters your riding. I'm basically a crap old fart, but on this thing you just have to look where you want to go, push the bar and it's round. Waaaaaahay! Feels glued in place too.

Handling, definitely 10/10 how did Erik do that? (V11 only 4/10)

Brakes, not so keen. The rear is very similar to the V11 rear in feel, i.e. weak and dead. Front brake.... Hmmm it's hugely powerful, but wooden. Very little feedback and way less satisfying in use than the twin Brembo's on the V11. I can lock and unlock the front on the V11 with confidence wet and dry (obviously not in a bend) but on the Buell, I don't know. May go to a quiet car park and play at stoppies.

Brakes 6/10 (V11 9/10)

I like the styling. OK it isn't as cool looking as the Guzzi, but it's different and just as good in its way.

Weird gentle break in instructions. Like no more than 2500 rpm and 50 mph for 50 miles, then no more than 3000 rpm or 60mph for 500 miles. AAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH.

Truthfully I have given it a shot of the berries in short bursts just to get some combustion pressure and seat the rings properly. Otherwise it might not bed in completely I'll be left with an oil burner. I'm going to ignore the manual and run it in my way.

Cue the arguments.........

Seriously - It's a great bike. Forget the Harleyness and try one.

Sounds like you've got a great ride there. I hope you spend lots of time riding both bikes and I hope to see some wheelie pictures soon.

I am interested to hear your views on long distance handling. I tend to rate my V11 higher on open roads and my Ducati Monster higher on tight twisty roads.

Nice assessment.

I agree with most everything. Just like the V11, it hates the cold -- so just warm it up for 4 or 5 minutes.

The front brake is strong, but NOTHING compares -- feel-wise -- with Gold Brembos.

Enjoy.

v50

Guest ratchethack

Congrat's, Nog! Sounds like great fun to me. :race:

Way more civilised than the V11. Sorry folks, it just is.

Handling, definitely 10/10 how did Erik do that? (V11 only 4/10)

Of course, you DID have spring rates and sags PROPERLY set on EACH bike - otherwise any comparison would hardly be worthy. -_- Just asking? :huh2:

Weird gentle break in instructions. Like no more than 2500 rpm and 50 mph for 50 miles, then no more than 3000 rpm or 60mph for 500 miles. AAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH.

Truthfully I have given it a shot of the berries in short bursts just to get some combustion pressure and seat the rings properly. Otherwise it might not bed in completely I'll be left with an oil burner. I'm going to ignore the manual and run it in my way.

FWIW, sounds like your way is the better choice to me!

Have fun! :bike:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Guest Nogbad
Nice assessment.

I agree with most everything.  Just like the V11, it hates the cold -- so just warm it up for 4 or 5 minutes.

The front brake is strong, but NOTHING compares -- feel-wise -- with Gold Brembos.

Enjoy.

v50

85164[/snapback]

I find the V11 is ok cold though. Never had a problem with idle. What the XB12 needs is the clever little seat latch idle lever! The V11 brakes are sublime tis true.

Guest Nogbad
Congrat's, Nog!  Sounds like great fun to me. :race:

Of course, you DID have spring rates and sags PROPERLY set on EACH bike - otherwise any comparison would hardly be worthy. -_-  Just asking? :huh2:

85169[/snapback]

It's a valid question. I am an average guy, about 72kg and 5'10" (sorry about the mix of units but this is the UK after all). I have played about for ever with the sag, rebound and compression on the V11 and can't get it nice whatever I do. If I go for good compliance and good tracking on B road bends, it dives too much on the brakes. The rear end is a bummer. Far too difficult to adjust the preload so I have a compromise setting that is too hard solo and too soft 2 up. I think it needs progressive front springs, lighter fork oil and a new rear shock with hydraulic preload. However, you are never going to overcome the huge weight and inertia of the bevel box and the simplicity of the single rate cantilever shock.

I think the Buell would piss all over the V11 in the twisties whatever you did with the settings, particularly if the road was bumpy. On a smooth track, there might be less in it. For a person like me with less than a lot of skill, the V11 needs a lot of firm input in the bends and is tiring and skittish over bumps. The Buell just goes where you point your head. It's that different.

Ok the Showa suspension kit on the XB is way higher spec than my Marz / Sachs set up, but I think design, weight and geometry is against the V11.

V11 = Sports tourer. It's good at it and looks cool with it. I'm sure mine will be used plenty for those longer 2 up trips with wife or son on the back.

Guest ratchethack
I have played about for ever with the sag, rebound and compression on the V11 and can't get it nice whatever I do. If I go for good compliance and good tracking on B road bends, it dives too much on the brakes. The rear end is a bummer. Far too difficult to adjust the preload so I have a compromise setting that is too hard solo and too soft 2 up. I think it needs progressive front springs, lighter fork oil and a new rear shock with hydraulic preload. However, you are never going to overcome the huge weight and inertia of the bevel box and the simplicity of the single rate cantilever shock.

Nog, by my experience (less than 10 kg heavier than you), you could greatly improve your handling with firmer springs front and rear, which would allow you to get your sags set properly (without, you ain't got a prayer). I also agree that lighter fork oil, progressive springs and higher-rate rear shock with hydraulic preload would transform the handling of the Guzzi.

The rear end is a bummer.

Yep. No gettin' around that boat anchor bevel box hub... -_-:huh2:

I think design, weight and geometry is against the V11.

V11 = Sports tourer. It's good at it and looks cool with it. I'm sure mine will be used plenty for those longer 2 up trips with wife or son on the back.

Well said, and I agree. -_-

OK Nog - by all means, carry on and enjoy 'em both in different roles as designed - Long as you don't thrash the handling of y'er Guzzi unmercifully and unfairly against "modern" road gear - especially when the Guzzi has never been properly set up!! ;):whistle:

Oh, yeah -- the race kit is actually quite mild compared to the pipe I threw on my Firebolt. The "Special Ops" pipe is made in Alabama, USA by a fine man named Odie -- and only costs $250 with the exchange of your old pipe.

If you inherit a load of dough, Nogs, Quat D makes a lovely setup for the Buell. They're quite proud of it, though... :D

Enjoy -- but be safe.

v50

Last Sunday I had a great time at a Harley/Buell ride demonstration day. Rain was threatening, so as a result we had the pick of the litter. My first was the Buell Ulysses. I thought I'd give it another chance after the run I had on it a month earlier, where the thing was clearly having engine issues. After a 1/2 hr out on some twisties [those factory tires really are scary on pavement] I came back with a smile, actually I was laughing. As everyone dismounted and headed back to get signed up for another bike, I had to yell at a Buell Rep to give me a hand. On the ride back, the left mirror fell into my lap, and the scraping metal sound that it was doing turned out to be the side stand falling off! As I handed the thing off to a mechanic to wrench it back to life, I went to the H.D. guy to see what I could ride next. He asked about my Ulysses ride. I had to tell him the truth. People laughed.

I told him I wanted to ride the biggest fattest lumbering truck he had. I got the keys to the Electra Glide Classic, with a radio!! Much to my disapointment, after 5 minutes the radio died, so had to concentrate on how horribly gutless these things really are. The suspension makes the most horrible crunching sounds when it goes up and down, and going around corners requires assistance from the harbour tug boats. I couldn't get off the fucking cow soon enough.

Next was a H.D. softail sport, I think. It had the big engine, Sportster engine, and sport tuned suspension, twin brake rotors. I'm sure glad it was a gutless pig as well, because the brakes, seriously, were worse than drum brakes off a 40yr old Norton.

I was amazed. We all left.

Sorry. I just don't have good luck on Buells or H.D. I still have a burnt oil smell on my leathers from where an XB9R blew up all over me in front of everyone.

Ciao, Steve G.

I am an average guy, about 72kg and 5'10"

85173[/snapback]

Lucky guy, at 190 cm my head was forward of the headlight last time I tried the seat of a Buell. And that was the LWB model....

Guest Nogbad

I couldn't reach the floor on the Ulysses, and it felt like my legs were being forced apart ready for invasive inspection by enthusiastic drug police.

The Ulysses was just too big for me. I seem to fit the Firebolt ok though.

I can't comment on your experience, it isn't mine. I had 2 test rides on Buells and both bikes behaved impeccably.

I have seen a lot of complaints about the quality of the gearshift on the up to 2005 Buells, and mine is the last of the 5 speed line which is why I got it cheap. However, on the test bikes I tried, and on my bike the shift is fine. It isn't heavy in any way, and clicks in precisely without any false neutrals. The only downside is a clank going into first when cold but the V11 'box is the same and if anything is a lot cruder than the Harley offering.

Personally I prefer 5 speeds to 6 when you have a tractable V twin in there.

I don't like the whole Harley marketing / lifestyle thing, but maybe when I need a zimmer frame I'll buy a sofa like an Electraglide.

If my Buell blows up / leaks / bits fall off I'll tell you all warts and all. Promise.

Last Sunday I had a great time at a Harley/Buell ride demonstration day. Rain was threatening, so as a result we had the pick of the litter. My first was the Buell Ulysses. I thought I'd give it another chance after the run I had on it a month earlier, where the thing was clearly having engine issues. After a 1/2 hr out on some twisties [those factory tires really are scary on pavement] I came back with a smile, actually I was laughing. As everyone dismounted and headed back to get signed up for another bike, I had to yell at a Buell Rep to give me a hand. On the ride back, the left mirror fell into my lap, and the scraping metal sound that it was doing turned out to be the side stand falling off! As I handed the thing off to a mechanic to wrench it back to life, I went to the H.D. guy to see what I could ride next. He asked about my Ulysses ride. I had to tell him the truth. People laughed.

I told him I wanted to ride the biggest fattest lumbering truck he had. I got the keys to the Electra Glide Classic, with a radio!! Much to my disapointment, after 5 minutes the radio died, so had to concentrate on how horribly gutless these things really are. The suspension makes the most horrible crunching sounds when it goes up and down, and going around corners requires assistance from the harbour tug boats. I couldn't get off the fucking cow soon enough.

Next was a H.D. softail sport, I think. It had the big engine, Sportster engine, and sport tuned suspension, twin brake rotors. I'm sure glad it was a gutless pig as well, because the brakes, seriously, were worse than drum brakes off a 40yr old Norton.

I was amazed. We all left.

Sorry. I just don't have good luck on Buells or H.D. I still have a burnt oil smell on my leathers from where an XB9R blew up all over me in front of everyone.

Ciao, Steve G.

85213[/snapback]