V11S Regulator/Rectifier

guzzijack

Looking for a regulator/rectifier to suit the V11Sport engine. Anyone know the full spec of the O/E part and/or an aftermarket part and source in the UK.

Graham

Excerpting this from the Okieguzzi forum on Yahoo:

Alternative Voltage Regulator. torpedomanas18

Last night Cathy's 98 EV with the hack went dead, without any warning. This happened once before at a gaggle. This time we were just a few miles from home. It had another (second ) Electrex R51 regulator in it. Prior to buying this one I was assured that they had beefed the new models. I was on the phone with them today and it was 2 months out of the one year warranty ,but they said they would back it any how if I would send it back.

In the mean time I got an idea. The Harley has a similar single phase system . A friend owns a custom chopper shop and carries them from Custom Chrome PN25359. He let me take one home on loan. I was able to run the test without modifying it . At 4000 RPM's ,I get 13.88 Vdc. That is with a battery that reads 12.95 VDC at rest prior to starting.

It does take a bit of modifying , I had to drill a hole in the mounting plate , Change the ends on the two leads going to the alternator. On thing it does not have , is a lead going to the Batt indicator light. I use meters anyhow.

Here is the info off the label

For Big twin models from 1976 to 1980.

OEM 74510-75A 74512-79A

Price he had on the box was $51.99

My suggestion is keep this information on the bike so if you should have a problem on a trip you have a alternative to renting a truck carry your bike home.

Russ Marooney

I can vouch for the Acel ones fro the HD's make sure you get the 32amp version not the 22 (Guzzi's system is 26 amps) 6 years 80 000kms no problems. You need to do a little soldering and mess with the mounting pionts but they are quarter the price of the deadcat replacment. You also loose the function of the charging light, the only time the thing ever came on was about ten secounds before all the smoke came out anyway.

How do you wire the HD Accel regulator?

They are cheap enough and look nice.

Here is one on eBay, but it seems to only have three wires :huh2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=35571

I guess you will ground to the body, the one solo wire goes to the battery, and the other pair of wires go to yellow alternator lines????

I tried looking for information from Accel, but could not find any....

da_1.JPG

9a805413-5775-4507-8e83-9a15f91678fc.jpeg

And Arlen Ness chromifies the accel regulators ....this model is not likely the 32Amp...

How do you wire the HD Accel regulator?

They are cheap enough and look nice.

Here is one on eBay, but it seems to only have three wires :huh2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=35571

I guess you will ground to the body, the one solo wire goes to the battery, and the other pair of wires go to yellow alternator lines????

I tried looking for information from Accel, but could not find any....

9a805413-5775-4507-8e83-9a15f91678fc.jpeg

And Arlen Ness chromifies the accel regulators ....this model is not likely the 32Amp...

85817[/snapback]

This is probably a regulator only and not a rectifier/regulator unit. Straight regulators are pretty much three leads, goesinta, ground, goesouta...

Nope they are definatly both, (opps my bad the arlen ness ones look like regulators but the one pictured above from E-bay it is definatly both). Cut the plug off the two wires these are soldered to the two Yellow wires out of the alt. The other wire hanging out of it is the charge line which from memory is red on the 1100 sports please check your wiring diagram before hooking it up thats pretty well it. This is important however the Acel uses the case of the regulator to earth the unit make sure you have a good metal to metal conact case to mounting brackets and the bolts a free of rust and crap. Make sure you cap the charge light line so its doesn't arc out againt anything.

Ive had pretty good sucess with them so make up your own mind the best bit on the 1100 sports anyway is the cooling finns actually line up witht he airflow unlike the ducati ones.