Moto Guzzi Superbike

Guzzirider

Just read this weeks MCN in which there is an article entitled "Guzzi's 180mph superbike plan".

Fulvio Parisatto who is Moto Guzzi's marketing director has reportedly revealed that Guzzi will shortly be announcing a 1200cc superbike which will be road legal, with a full fairing.

Now I have read MCN for enough years to know that you sometimes need to take a pinch of salt, but there seem to be persistent reports of a new sports bike floating about so maybe there is something in this one. Piaggio boss Roberto Colaninno has also said that Guzzi will have a sports bike by the end of the year, and there seems to be a change of attitude away from the "we only want Guzzi to make cruisers and roadsters".

If it has a full fairing, does this mean it is more likely to be a watercooled engine? If the 180mph thing is true then I guess it will have to be.

This post will probably spark the predictable "75bhp is enough" replies but if they produce a good sports bike it can only be good news for the company- after all the GSXR1000 was the UKs best selling bike over 125cc, so thats where the money is.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRING IT ON!!!!!

A while ago there was a rumour that Guzzi were goining to take over the performance Vtwin segment from Aprilia. Speculation suggest that the new Aprilia bikes would be Base on the Cube moto GP bike. Athough I remeber thinking recently that Aprilia had sunk a heap of money and time into thier dirt bike motor odd when thier main bike buiness is road bikes. Now it all starts to fit Aprilia will build Vfours based on the dirt bike motor and Guzzi will bring one something. I recently rode the Griso and felt while it was a lot more refined than my bike (not hard) it lacked that punch and stomp that my bike has. If I fork out for a new bike I want to upgrade the one I have not move sideways. Maybe we will even see a factory return to the track and add to those 3000+ race victories.

"Guzzi's 180mph superbike plan

Great. Just what we need for the road. If they expect to compete with the Japanese on HP and top speed, then they really are smoking drugs (they should stick to tires).

I wish Guzzi would concentrate on refining their suspension. I would love to see a Hossack front-end, and less unsprung weight at the rear. Let's face it, 100HP is enough for anybody on the road. The real challenge is this: getting AND keeping the power on the road surface safely!

Great.  Just what we need for the road.  If they expect to compete with the Japanese on HP and top speed, then they really are smoking drugs (they should stick to tires).

I wish Guzzi would concentrate on refining their suspension.  I would love to see a Hossack front-end, and less unsprung weight at the rear.  Let's face it, 100HP is enough for anybody on the road.  The real challenge is this:  getting AND keeping the power on the road surface safely!

85990[/snapback]

You said it, brother........... Couldn't agree more.

A presence in World Superbike would bolster Moto Guzzi.

Just like Ducati doesn't sell many 999R bikes to the public, yet they sell boatloads of Monsters and regular superbikes, Guzzi's participation in a World Racing Venue would help them sell the 75hp-100hp roadbikes that are the bread-and-butter of the business.

A 2-bike SBK race team would be great advertising for Mandelo. I hope the reports are serious. A 1200cc version of the Aprilia V-twin, massaged by Mandelo and placed into an MGS-01-like machine would be super-cool, if you ask me.

Guzzi shouldn't be hobbled by it's current longitudinal V-twin. They have a history with several different engine configurations. I liked the Bicylindrica, myself.

1200cc, Aprilia-powered, MGS-02 Bicylindrica, anyone ???

I'll bet they could get Rossi to ride out of pure National Pride !!!

I think the point is that this new bike is not necessarily for existing Guzzisti who are happy with comparitively low powered bikes. It will hopefully open up Guzzi to a new market- sports bike riders who may never have previously considered one.

Saying that, a few of us existing Guzzi fans may fancy one anyway.

If you want a 75bhp Guzzi I am sure you will still be able to buy a Breva.

Guy :helmet:

World Superbike is 1000cc max

86015[/snapback]

At the moment it is- but Ducati have threatened to pull out unless the limit for twins is increased to 1200cc.

KTM are also planning to enter WSB on a 1200 twin if the capacity limit is raised.

Ducati normally get their way.

Guy :helmet:

Bring it on! If Guzzi thinks there is a market for such a machine who are we to complain about a Company trying to make a profit and compete for sales.

I think it would be great for Guzzi and us Guzzi lovers to see such a bike created.

Guest golden goose

I don't know guys. The Golden Goose sits next to an '05 K1200S which sits next to an '85 K100 in my garage. There is no room for another bike. Now the K12S stock is rated at 167 crank hp. But mine has been breathed on with race intake and exhaust and the very first Power Commander is due to be fitted and dynoed by Dustin himself in a short time. As it is now, it dynoed to 163 rwhp, and may pick up a few more after the PC smooths out the wrinkles BMW put in the 6.0 map that they recently burned into the ecu.

With a Hossack front end and all that power, this thing honks like you just wouldn't believe! Incredible power, handling that I can explain to you but simply can't understand for you.

Having said all that, the Goose also has open flow and a dynoed in PC (79 rwhp). And before the S, it was the best handling bike I have ever ridden. Took it out for a 350 mile hoot Sunday with a couple of buddies running way more hp. The thing just runs fine and handles like a cat. Ran away from a very good rider on an 05 K1200RT sporting 120hp on Ortega highway, he only got barely away from me out in the desert on S2 in the long straights with the Goose revved out in 6th. With a few more ponies that wouldn't have happened.

I can only imagine what 10 or 20 more ponies would do for this bike. As with the S, even though it has more than twice the rwhp, I don't even feel I have to use it, but it is there, OMG is it there!

Would I ever sell the Goose? No friggin way! That donk just serves up its dose of power so sweetly that it is just a joy to ride. And the friends behind me commented every time we stopped that the Mistrals, from even a fair distance ahead, served up notice that I was on it and even if they could have passed me, they didn't want to give up the awesome sound from those big exhaust dumps aimed straight at them. The RT rider, who is very good, even said that he could feel individual thumps of exhaust hit his faceshield when he was close enough and in the right place when I would get on it, and he was simply awed!

Hail the Goose...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grin:

it might be related to this also MCN story:

Aprilia V4 1000 for 08

Aprilia has confirmed it is building a V4 1000 and plans to race it in 2008 ahead of production in 2009.

You’ll find more details about the project in MCN – out on April 5, 2006.

12208409.jpeg