"There's oil on dem dar cases!" proclaimed Jed

P3GA

04_06_Hemmorage_1.jpg04_06_Hemmorage_3.jpgBack from a ride this fine Atlanta evening, I noticed a fair bit of oil on the right side of the engine case (see attached photos).

For those that have experienced the same, can you recall what gasket(s) will be needed and just how much work / hours were involved to replace?

Looks like last season's sealing with Yamabond is failing.....

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Front timing cover gaskets were a pretty common failure on the

wrinkle finish motors.

Start there, and get ready for it to get uglier, I am afraid.

There is a new metal gasket for the Breva 1100.

May be a help.

Have not needed to find out.

There are two new metal gaskets. One is for the Breva. The other is for the V11 and earlier motors. They differ only in size and placement of the holes for the cover's locating dowels.

I've used them and am not sure I like them. They seem to seal well and have a really nice feel as you "crush" them in. They're "springy," though and very hard to keep in place while you try to fit the cover.

As Greg says,seems to be a common failing. Mine has been like that for months now,but hasnt got any worse,just a damp oil soaked area,no running leak or anything. I might try running her without any oil in to see if that cures it.

Guest Nogbad
I might try running her without any oil in to see if that cures it.

86529[/snapback]

You could try treating the engine with "Molyslip" and then running it without oil as per the 70's ads for this snake oil. :not::luigi:

I'm afraid it does look like the timing cover gasket has failed. In rebuilding my Le Mans after a crash I discovered I had cracked my cover and this is pretty much what it looked like.

Removal and repair is pretty straight forward and even I, of marginal wrenching skill and of only simple hand tools was able to do the job with the help of members of this board. In my case I had to drop part of the sub-frame to get the cover off. The entire thread can be viewed, complete with step by step instruction HERE

Good luck :thumbsup:

Mine put a lot of oil out from there due to a torn gasket. As reported a few times before, when this topic has arisen, I sealed it from the outside (over 2 years ago) and the repair has been 100% reliable and it's invisible. I recommend the 'easy' repair, rather than replacing the gasket.

Check this thread.

Here is the blue gasket sealer that fixed the leak. I then coated it in black sealant to blend in with the black case. With a bit of road grime, you'd never notice it.

post-5-1076679170.jpg

Thanks to all for the input. I think I'll clean her up really good than try the sealant while I order a gasket. If it holds up great, if not, I'll take it from there.

Right now, the most important thing is getting my son's riding gear together so that he can try out his new toy, just picked it up today for him....

Robert_s__PW80___04_06_18.jpg

Phil

Atlanta GA

02 Le Mans

Thanks to all for the input. I think I'll clean her up really good than try the sealant while I order a gasket. If it holds up great, if not, I'll take it from there.

Right now, the most important thing is getting my son's riding gear together so that he can try out his new toy, just picked it up today for him....

Robert_s__PW80___04_06_18.jpg