V11 Sport -> LeMans Conversion

Guest RonAikins

Guest RonAikins

I've been kinda-sorta shopping for a used LeMans, but a Sport V11 with that outrageous green & low miles has reared its head. So... I'm wondering what it would take to make it into a LeMans. By this I'm really just asking what it takes to fit a LeMans fairing on it.

Thanks for any info,

Ron

Actually what you should do is scrape enough money together anf it the Magni Fairing its actully designed for the bike and looks better too IMO. Athough some people don't like the proper clip on's that you need to fit with it.

I've been kinda-sorta shopping for a used LeMans, but a Sport V11 with that outrageous green & low miles has reared its head. So... I'm wondering what it would take to make it into a LeMans. By this I'm really just asking what it takes to fit a LeMans fairing on it.

Thanks for any info,

Ron

86898[/snapback]

The straight scoop is: you can't, economically. The v11 LeMans came out after Guzzi "stretched" the frame a tad longer than the original 2000 v11 Sport; iirc, the '00 & '01 Sports have the short frames; after that everything got a little bigger. I'm certain that elsewhere on this site is a thread w/ the specifics.

The upshot is that the LM parts are sized to fit the long frame, and can't be retrofitted to the short frames. All of which leads to today's Tech Question: are the frame sizes for the Daytona, Daytona RS, 1100 Spot & Sporti, & Centauro all the same, & if so, are they long, short or some other length from any of the v11 spineys?

[shout out to Greg Field: Can you make sure this is in next ed. of Guzziology, if not already? TIA! ;) ]

Murray mentioned one option. Unforatunately, Callison's suggestion won't work either, since the "radioactive green" of the Sport is molded into the plastic tank, & the short frame tanks won't fit on a long-frame LM!

Personally, I'd rather do a Coppa'd Mans than a rehash of Guzzi's rehash of the Telaio Rosso; it just wasn't meant to have a modern fairing; it's a "dolphin" or nothin', baybee!

:thumbsup:

:mg:

I said get a LeMans and paint it, not put the older parts on a newer frame. In any case, they would probably fit as the frame lengthening is ahead of the tank on the spine. Frankensport - my V11 Sport TT, has a 1996 Sport 1100i frame. Frame lengths are close enough that the tank and subframes bolt right on. Other things are remarkably different.

Right now, it lookx like this:

V11SportTTmodII.gif

Eventually, if I get back to it, it may look like this:

V11project.01.gif

This project is on indefinite hold though, if someone else wants to carry on with it, give me a PM.

Occasionally, I post this Marabese Design Studios orignal concept drawing for the V11 LeMans - which is based on the green model. At least you have an idea what it would look like in general.

LeMans_Prototype.gif

Guest RonAikins

Thanks, Carl. Looks like the "conversion" is possible, but constitues a "project." I was hoping things might bolt on easily at attachment points unused by the Sport version. Nah -- too easy.

-Ron

Guest Nogbad

The small flyscreen available for the V11 sport comes in a good matched green, looks attractive and is remarkably effective at deflecting the wind.

The small flyscreen available for the V11 sport comes in a good matched green, looks attractive and is remarkably effective at deflecting the wind.

86949[/snapback]

I don't know if the Scura one has a different blade on it, but I always find it too low, unless I am in the boy racer crouch, (which i am too old to be bothered with! :rolleyes: )

Nige. :doh:

Edit: A small flyscreen CAN be very effective if it is set up correctly.

I don't know if the Scura one has a different blade on it, but I always find it too low, unless I am in the boy racer crouch, (which i am too old to be bothered with!  :rolleyes:  )

Nige.  :doh:

Edit: A small flyscreen CAN be very effective if it is set up correctly.

86954[/snapback]

When Baldini and Orson swaped bikes on the Welsh Wife Swap he commented on how effective the Lemans screen was. Okay he had just got of his naked Tonti cafe racer and his Scura was at home awaiting new fork seals so its not quite a dirrect comparison.

220306WelshWaltz017.jpg

So you probably get a quite good hole punched by a flyscreen but a bigger one by a Lemans fairing. It just depends on what you want/can live with.

I would be lothe to change to much on a greenie, I'd go with a fly screen, I've got used to 1/2 fairings FJ/Lemans but before never had problems before, but it's so long ago I can't remember.

So it depends on how often they come up and the condition/price of the V11. remember there are no more there is a finite number now.

When Baldini and Orson swaped bikes on the Welsh Wife Swap he commented on how effective the Lemans screen was.

86960[/snapback]

I would imagine the lemans screen is a bit more effective, and at least there seems to be some options for fitting a lipped blade to it to raise the turbulence a little further out of the way.

I looked for options for replacing the blade on the Scura flyscreen and came up empty.

That was when my mind flew back to the pleasant experience with the Le Mans II fairing.....and led to a fair bit of extra work ;):rolleyes::luigi:

Nige. B)

I thought the LeMans fairing on the Tenni worked great on the short ride I did - really effective but not too big. It'd be a big improvement over the Scura flyscreen for any distance or weather. Flyscreen works well for the size it is. I had a std LM11 years back, that fairing worked great too! Ballacraine - be interested to see how you get it work on a V11 - square light n'all....?

KB :sun:

I thought the LeMans fairing on the Tenni worked great on the short ride I did - really effective but not too big. It'd be a big improvement over the Scura flyscreen for any distance or weather. Flyscreen works well for the size it is. I had a std LM11 years back, that fairing worked great too! Ballacraine - be interested to see how you get it work on a V11 - square light n'all....?

KB :sun:

86964[/snapback]

Good grief! :o

No, I couldn't bear that crummy Fiat 126 headlamp unit again!! :vomit:

A little while longer and I will post pics......

Hoping to get it back together tomorrow.......

( I hope that hasn't cursed the job! :rolleyes: )

Watch this space.....but don't hold you breath! :grin:

Nige. B):thumbsup: