Quick Relay Question

dmoon64

Should they be considered consumables. After replacing the relay bike started and ran fine for about 200-250 miles. Yesterday started with the same symptoms. Needed to turn stuff on/off to get it to start, then dies in traffic a couple of times.

2003 LeMans.

Is is a bad relay or something causing relay to act wonky?

I wouldn't think so. Have you considered seeing if there is a slightly higher capacity relay available? Alternatively it could simply be a bad connection, probably an earth, somewhere else in the system. By 2003 I thought that they'd stopped using the failure prone Seimens relays. One of the other blokes with more experience of these than me should be able to tell you.

Pete

Guest ratchethack
Should they be considered consumables. After replacing the relay bike started and ran fine for about 200-250 miles. Yesterday started with the same symptoms. Needed to turn stuff on/off to get it to start, then dies in traffic a couple of times.

2003 LeMans.

Is is a bad relay or something causing relay to act wonky?

dmoon, could be a coupla things. Check the discussion here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...60799entry60799

My 03 has tyco relays and I haven't yet experienced any issues. From your description I would agree with the all guzzi wise pete roper, sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

waspp

I am STILL waiting for a Siemens relay to go down..........

87787[/snapback]

you're a rare breed there noggy, rare indeed. Mine had been replaced with bosch b4 I bought the bike slighty used and I didn't know it. I was having relay problems, bike never quit on me just lights, dials and horn problems My bike is basically on its third set of relays if these tank at all I'm going higher capacity all around. :luigi:

like its been said sounds like a loose ground or lets not even think about a messed up ECU. :o , nah I'm sure youre wires are loose give'em a good once over.

Guest Nogbad
you're a rare breed there noggy, rare indeed. Mine had been replaced with bosch b4 I bought the bike slighty used and I didn't know it. I was having relay problems, bike never quit on me just lights, dials and horn problems My bike is basically on its third set of relays if these tank at all I'm going higher capacity all around.  :luigi:

87790[/snapback]

I think this relay problem affects more US bikes with AHO. The UK bikes with a FREEDOM headlight switch are better!