Getting more fuel out of gas tank

dlaing

So the fastest way to reach an improvement would be to just switch sides for fuel indicator and reflow valve, enough space for it assumed.

89815[/snapback]

Another fine idea :bier:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ratchethack
So the fastest way to reach an improvement would be to just switch sides for fuel indicator and reflow valve, enough space for it assumed.

Does anyone know for sure if the fuel pressure regulator and level sensor are each fully functional in the other's OEM location? :huh2:

Who cares? ;)

Seriously, what is the difference whether it starts glowing 50km or 80km before exitus?

Never mind. I've been looking under my tank today and I think the pressure valve will probably interfere with the gas cable mimic.

Hubert

Does anyone know for sure if the fuel pressure regulator and level sensor are each fully functional in the other's OEM location? :huh2:

89835[/snapback]

89835[/snapback]

I think that would depend on whether or not the hump divides the fuel before the sensor is triggered.

If the hump divides the fuel before the sensor is triggered, sensor trigger time would be greatly effected by fuel slosh over the hump.

If the hump does not divide the fuel before the sensor is triggered, I suppose all would be fine.

One potential problem of moving the pressure regulator to the left side is that it may be too close to the cylinder head. :huh2:

The level sensor is much smaller than the pressure regulator.

Perhaps the fuel petcock would have to go where the level sensor is, and the regulator, where the petcock is, and the level sensor where the regulator is.

But moving the level sensor back and to a slightly different level, will provide less reliable readings....but do we really care?

Otherwise I see no reason why the pressure regulator would not be functional on the left side.

There could still be hidden issues like bumping the inside walls, etc.

Never mind. I've been looking under my tank today and I think the pressure valve will probably interfere with the gas cable mimic.

89845[/snapback]

How might it interfere?

What do you mean by gas cable mimic?

tank1rg.jpg

Other than clearance issues are all the access holes and mounting points the same size? Can the devices actually be interchanged?

I am going to find out.

I just gave my wive's car 5 free gallons of gas, and now I smell like gasoline.

I think I'll go light up a cigarette :P

This weekend I should have time to explore the options.

I just gave my wive's car ...

90134[/snapback]

Wow! I didn't even know about the first one! Congratulations! ... on each and every one of 'em. David, you da' man!

FWIW - give each of 'em their own car - it'll go a long way toward keeping peace in the household I'd think.

:)

Wow!  I didn't even know about the first one!  Congratulations! ... on each and every one of 'em.  David, you da' man!

FWIW - give each of 'em their own car - it'll go a long way toward keeping peace in the household I'd think.

:)

90153[/snapback]

I thought gas and TLC was enough, but I suppose you are correct that it'll go a long way toward keeping the peace, if I give them cars.

Will Matchbox cars do the trick?

Other than clearance issues are all the access holes and mounting points the same size? Can the devices actually be interchanged?

90018[/snapback]

No, the holes and mounting flanges are not all the same. There is one larger hole into the tank (IIRC it's the level sensor), and the mounting flanges for the petcock/regulator have reverse threads on one or the other. I had to buy a second flange to fit the second petcock to the right hand side of the tank.

I have not completed the conversion, but my thought is to divert the return fuel flow to the left side, through a small manifold block fitted between the tank and the original petcock,

then tee the right side thank/fuel cock to the fuel line just past the left-side petcock. This sounds easier than it is because of the spine.

I'll post it up if I ever get to it after getting the FIRST project done! :luigi:

No, the holes and mounting flanges are not all the same.  There is one larger hole into the tank (IIRC it's the level sensor), and the mounting flanges for the petcock/regulator have reverse threads on one or the other.  I had to buy a second flange to fit the second petcock to the right hand side of the tank.

I have not completed the conversion, but my thought is to divert the return fuel flow to the left side, through a small manifold block fitted between the tank and the original petcock,

then tee the right side thank/fuel cock to the fuel line just past the left-side petcock.  This sounds easier than it is because of the spine.

I'll post it up if I ever get to it after getting the FIRST project done!  :luigi:

90169[/snapback]

Brian,

Good luck on this! It is tight routing the crossover line as it must go under the spine and shoulb be heat shielded. And the "T" fitting is worrisome. If it fails from the strain and vibration , it would be ugly. Are there some sort of marine or aircraft grade Ts available?

Brian,

Good luck on this! It is tight routing the crossover line as it must go under the spine and shoulb be heat shielded. And the "T" fitting is worrisome. If it fails from the strain and vibration , it would be ugly. Are there some sort of marine or aircraft grade Ts available?

90275[/snapback]

That little manifold is going to have to be something of a work of art.... there's precious little room down there for it and the regulator. I bought a milling machine... now all I have to do is figure out how one works!

My idea was to use barbed FI fittings with fuel-injection hose and crimp-on hose clamps. The good news is that this is not a pressurized line. This type of "T" arrangement was standard on my old Norton and Triumph which used one side petcock with a high stand pipe for "fuel-on" and the other side petcock with no stand-pipe for "reserve". Plus it had those tee's for feeding the twin carbs.

Would not a T fitting between the left petcock and the pump serve the same purpose as the manifold?

90337[/snapback]

Perhaps I am missing something that's more simple than my idea! I hope so! Where would the third leg of the "T" go?

In my proposal, the "T" fitting would be between the left petcock and the fuel pump and the right side petcock which takes the mounting point of the fuel pressure regulator. This would source fuel from both side compartments of the fuel tank.

That leaves the fuel pressure regulator without a mounting point. If mounted to this "left side mainfold", FI return-side fuel is placed in the left side compartment of the fuel tank, which I suppose is non-critical now that there is drainage from the right side.

Actually, now that you mention it, the manifold ought to be on the right side, to preclude re-routing problems with the return-side fuel lines. THANKS!!

I love this forum!! :drink: