utah, nevada...on a harley!

ferguzzi

For my sins, I've rented an electraglide in las vegas for a week in june, and me and the mrs. are going to tootle up to monument valley, over to kanab, and then back to vegas.

It seems there are lots of canyons and national parks around the southwestern part of utah, near kanab, and I've never been to that part of the US. Any recomendations?

And will it be hot? I can't tell what the elevation is in those parts, and my experience of riding thruogh a lot of that part of the world, is that eventhough it should be warm in june, it won't be at 10'000 feet!

Sorry Ferg can't help you with the specifics you've asked for. Have a good time and post up some pictures, even if they've got that American iron horse in them.

Will you/both be at the Erin this year?

For my sins, I've rented an electraglide in las vegas for a week in june, and me and the mrs. are going to tootle up to monument valley, over to kanab, and then back to vegas.

It seems there are lots of canyons and national parks around the southwestern part of utah, near kanab, and I've never been to that part of the US. Any recomendations?

And will it be hot? I can't tell what the elevation is in those parts, and my experience of riding thruogh a lot of that part of the world, is that eventhough it should be warm in june, it won't be at 10'000 feet!

88288[/snapback]

I posted your questions on wildguzzi.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSE...11&topic=3844.0

You might check there now and then for comments.

Best wishes on what I suspect will be a great adventure. Stunning country out there. Stunning.

OTOH, my Volvo broke down between Monument Valley and Mexican Hat in July some years ago on way back to East Coast from Army assignment in Hawaii.

Wife, 16 YO daughter, & worthless rabbit we brought with us. None cared a whit about scenery, and just slept while I emoted about the sights they were missing. Well, they slept until I lost a fan belt and the AC died. :o

Anyway, it was still agreat experience. You will see what so many Americans never have and never will.

Bill

Too bad you're not going through Oklahoma. We're going to the UK for three weeks in June and you could have just borrowed my California. Oh well. Have a fun vacation over here while I'm over there.

My best advice would be to just set out on any road that look intersting, because I know it will be. Things are a long way apart, so be sure to plan your time accordingly. On many of these roads, you'll be quite alone and away from any traffic at all. Without giving it a whole lot of thought, here are 8 places (and roads) that you certainly cannot go wrong with.

tripsouthwest.jpg

1 – Zion National Park. This is essentially a narrow, deep valley with amazing views and hikes. You’re really inside this place. Notice the highway in the photograph

aug062.jpg

2 – Bryce Canyon. This is different than Zion, in that you’re above it all, looking down at things. It’s like nothing else.

image083.jpg

3 – The Escalante. Highway 12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey is one of the best roads in the United States. It’s not a particularly challenging road as far as that goes, but the views are incredible, and if you like endless sweepers, you’ll love it.

image090.jpgimage093.jpg

4 – North Rim of the Grand Canyon. If you’re anywhere near, and you have the time, this is a must.

aug068.jpg

5 – If you really want the essence of Navaho country, this is where you have to be. Plan on at least traveling from Tuba City to Ganado. At Ganado, be sure to check out the trading post. The quality of rugs available is the best in the world (and priced accordingly). This is no tourist grab.

chama033.jpg

6 – Canyon de Chelly is what you’re probably thinking of when you envision ancient ruins, built into the side of a great valley.

chama030.jpg

7 – This may be off the path, but if you need to cool off, the run northeast out of Dove Creek is a good one. You can return through Durango and the Million Dollar Highway. One of the best, anywhere. Two Guzzis in this shot! (the slow one on the right is mine)

bc017.jpg

image110.jpg

8 – Mesa Verde has the best preserved ancient buildings in the country. If you’re near, it’s well worth the effort. Nice roads, too.

bc014.jpg

bc011.jpg

Hello from a hot and sweaty Hong Kong!

Thanks for all that info, God some of those shots have really whetted my appetite.I've seen about 40 of the states on two wheels but obviously there'salways more to discover. Truly parts of the US really are God's own country.

It's a shame about Oklahoma as I've never been there, but I really apreciate the offer, it's just another trip I'll do some other time. I still haven't been to montana, or the Dakotas either, so a lot to look forward to.

Yeah Martin I'me going to miss the erin rally, and the scottish trip too, and a whole bunch of other thing too, because Angela has inbeen inconsiderate enough to have her 40 birthday in early June. I'm desperate to get over to The uk somtime this year( I'd love to do a track day), but nthing concrete planned yet. I sure you'll manage Erin without me, though!

We're actually going to be away for about a month, apart from the bike trip, We're also getting remarried by Elvis in vegas (Which ought to be good for a laugh!) and then up to Vancouver to hang out with the in laws.

Bring it on!