My real sad moto guzzi story

bigbikerrick

So sorry to hear of your misfortune & wish you a full recovery.

Only you can make the decision of getting back on the horse or not. Give it time, I hate to see someone give up their passion.

If you do part the bike out, I'm sure there are many here to buy it. Keep us posted whatever your decision.

Good luck.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who crashed his Le Mans last season and had to deal with the consequences I feel I am qualified to state that "that truly sucks, Rick."

There is always the "it could have been worse" thing but it still "sucks."

Take a bit of time off, heal, regroup, form a strategy, then move on it...and don't look back. ;)

Heres to a speedy recovery Rick :bier:

So... I'm looking for a triple tree to put on my 00' v11. Do you think yours will fit and what do you want for it? Or how good is the condition of you complete front end after your "tap and burn." 

Again speedy recovery.

Nathan

88792[/snapback]

Hi Nathan, I am pretty sure my triple tree is fine, It looks like the forks are fine also( they look straight) I am in a wheelchair and havent been able to get too close to the bike to give it a closer inspection. as soon as I am able to,although It will probably be a couple of months, I will let everyone on the forum know what is still good, for whoever needs parts, or the whole bike if anyone is interested in taking a trip to southern arizona, :):thumbsup:

Rick I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortune.  I have posted the  photo below on here before as a reminder to myself and others that there is a very thin line between life and death when we are out enjoying one of life's little thrills.

48270777-4fe0-00800060-.jpg

thumbnail

Before totally my SL mille in this accident, where I broke my wrist, I had another less catastophic get off about six months earlier, where I was relatively uninjured save for a few bruises and a pulled groin muscle.  One constant in each get off was the fact I was wearing full leathers with armor, helmet, gloves and race boots (Alpinestar Super Techs to be exact).  I think those boots saved my ankels in both accidents.  I am just curious as to what riding gear you wore the day of your accident, and if you had it to do over again, would you choose different gear.  Sort of a "safety question" if you don't mind.  I'm a safety manager for my company, and most of our riders are "Easy Rider Harley image" types.  Most don't even wear a helmet, and I am always looking for ways to influence their decision to wear some or more protective gear. 

As for giving up riding entirely, we all know that is strickly a personal decision since so much is at stake (a life and death/financial risk decision), but I can tell you, at 53 years of age, I thought long and hard about giving up riding because I doubted my personal ability to ride safely and competently on a litre sport bike.  I did consider getting a Triumph Thruxon or TBS just for local cruising, until I found this forum and my beloved Rosso Corsa.  It is the perfect bike for my riding style and I'm glad I bought it and kept riding.  My wife worries about me every time I go out, but she understands it is part of my nature (risk taking) and helps to keep me young at heart.  As a former military pilot, I know a thing or two about risk taking, and it is something that never crosses the minds of most folks in their day to day, mundain lives. 

The good thing about your injuries are that they will heal over time.  I parted my aprilia out and concentrated on healing.  Nevertheless, during that recovery time, I spent many hours purusing this forum and dreaming about the day I would own another motorcycle, and how I would change my approach to riding (reducing risk).  Knock on wood! :bier:

89215[/snapback]

Okie, I feel like a dumbass now but I have to admitt I was wearing jeans tennis shoes,and a t shirt( had my leather jacket and gloves in my tank bag) Yep I was a dumbass! :blush:

Guest Britcheflee

Horrible.

If you had biffed it in a car would you stop driving a car? Give it a bit of time before making a decision not to ride again - its understandable that you were looking out for someone else so took your eye off the road for an instant - so basically your care for someone else caused a momentary diversion which is all it needs for something like this to happen. Its your decision but just give it some time.

Did the bike get totally fried? When you feel up to it maybe you could post a picture. I am looking for a chrome style idiot light cover for my V 11 Ballabio.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lee

Glad to hear that you're OK Rick. Things like this really help keep things in perspective... can never really be too careful, I guess. My wife is relatively new to riding, and as such, I try to keep a close eye on her when we're out and about. I could very easily see myself doing exactly what you described... wow

...and, I hate to risk sounding like a vulture... but if you're bike has the 15M ECU, I might be interested in taking it off your hands. Condition doesn't matter... I'm looking for a doner case to potentially use for one of Cliff's My15M ECUs...

__Jason

Glad to hear that you're OK Rick. Things like this really help keep things in perspective... can never really be too careful, I guess. My wife is relatively new to riding, and as such, I try to keep a close eye on her when we're out and about. I could very easily see myself doing exactly what you described... wow

...and, I hate to risk sounding like a vulture... but if you're bike has the 15M ECU, I might be interested in taking it off your hands. Condition doesn't matter... I'm looking for a doner case to potentially use for one of Cliff's My15M ECUs...

__Jason

89677[/snapback]

Ive got the stock ecu from my bike in perfect un used condition, as my bike had the titanium exhaust/racing ecu installed by the dealer before the bike was picked up, I also have the stock cans, I dont thing the bike was even started up with the stock cans/ecu.

• 3 months later...
Guest Mattress

Rick: I too am sorry to hear of your crash. I only joined this group recently. Hope you are doing better. I too had a spill coming back from the Iowa rally. I had on my full riding gear so only some nice bruises and road rash on my hand where my Olympia gel glove disintegrated.

I haven't been able to ride my motorcycle in over a month because I can't find a spare shift lever for my V11 cafe sport. The original grenaded itself when the bike went down on the left side in a lovely Iowa soft shoulder.

Fourtunately a very kind motel owner just outside of town gave me a pair of vice grips and we attached it the nub and I limped it home to Chi-town.

Do you still have that part available? I was hoping to make it to the Michigan rally in September.

I think if I ever scare myself/hurt myself really really bad on the street I will get a dirt bike and continue to ride there - it can be very fun on a smallish bike. For now, it is V11 all the way.

Bob

Rick: I too am sorry to hear of your crash. I only joined this group recently. Hope you are doing better. I too had a spill coming back from the Iowa rally. I had on my full riding gear so only some nice bruises and road rash on my hand where my Olympia gel glove disintegrated.

I haven't been able to ride my motorcycle in over a month because I can't find a spare shift lever for my V11 cafe sport. The original grenaded itself when the bike went down on the left side in a lovely Iowa soft shoulder.

Fourtunately a very kind motel owner just outside of town gave me a pair of vice grips and we attached it the nub and I limped it home to Chi-town.

Do you still have that part available? I was hoping to make it to the Michigan rally in September.

Yes, I have the shift lever available email bigbikerrick@hotmail.com