Magni Fairing: Noisy?

Guest toutizes

Guest toutizes

Hi All,

After a crash where I ruined the top front-end of my '00 V11S I had to get new handlebars, light, fairing (I had the stucchi), etc. I opted to get a Magni that came with clip ons, etc. (Pro-italia in southern CA even had a used one for a good discount! Thanks guys.) This fairing looks awsome BTW. Fits the retro look of the bike perfectly.

I've only ridden the bike for 2 days since I got the Magni on it and I noticed that it's quite very noisy, especially at low RPMs. I seem to be hearing a lot of mechanical noise from the engine. In the higher RPMs (value unknown 'cause 2nd tach is still broken), the noise is more in line with what it was before. I noticed that the lower part of the fairing, the "wings" that come back along the tank, are attached to the cylinder heads with some small brackets, and I was wondering if this is what could "conduct" the noise in such a way that the rest of the fairing would "amplify."

If you have a Magni fairing do you have the same issue? Have you tried to reduce the noise by putting some sort of rubber thingies?

It's a dealer that put the fairing on so I'm not sure if there was some noise/vibration insulation that was to be used or not.

Thanks for any help,

Matthieu

Guest toutizes

Thanks for the reply! I have the same set-up (mistral silencers + stucchi cross-over) and I hear the engine output nicely. It's just that I also hear a lot what I'd qualify as "gear noise" with the fairing.

Do you have any kind of damping material between the metallic brackets that hold the fairing to the cylinder heads and the cylinder heads?

Thanks

Matthieu

The fiberglass composition of sport fairings of that type (frame mounted and sort sort of like the old Norton Production Racer) do iindeed reflect engine noise upwards. In fact, the parts manual for the Sport 1100i lists additional soundproofing for the Switzerland bound Sports. If it bothers you, I suppose you could add some of that type of baffling material to the fairing, but I'm guessing it wouldn't look too wonderful and may not do an awful lot to remedy the noise.

Hello Matthieu,

I have a Magni fairing on my own V11 and I experienced the same noise level

increasement (rockers, gearbox,...). I've ridden my bike for about 500 km with the fairing

and everything is still OK so I don't intend to modify anything.

One important point you have to check is the correct symmetry of the whole outfit. You must

avoid any contact between the fairing and the bottom yoke. It happened on mine and that

created a huge resonance noise at 1800-2000 rpm :blink:

Cheers

All of this has been excellent advice. Good guidance all on properly mounting a fairing.

It has been my experience that all my fairings have had the effect of allowing me to hear increased levels of mechanical noise. Sidecars do it too. They reflect the noise back at you. Doesn't matter if the fairing is metal, fiberglass or ABS plastic. They're all like big drum heads the way they amplify and direct sound!

Just one more thing : don't forget to check the central screw on the top of the steering

column (the one that hold the V tubing part). Since there is no locking system or product, it

may get loose sometimes and the main symptom is windshield vibration at idle. :huh

Cheers

Pierre

• 11 months later...

No problem of being noisy, with my Magni fairing I have a nylon washer fitted between fairing and cylinder head bracket.

All I hear is the exhaust note, BUT I do wear ear plugs under my helmet, I have always worn earplugs whilst riding any road bike because when I first started riding I found the wind noise unbearable after a while. I have been riding for 15 years and my hearing is OK.