Another rookie question

guzzi jon

Hi again,

I've put about 500 miles on my new 02 Lemans, love that sucker, sure is purty too... But I dont have any storage space for my traveling goods. Any recommendations on a smallish tank bag for the lemans, and perhaps the provider of choice? I appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Jon

Magnetic bags no good 'cos the tank is plastic.

1254.jpg

89525[/snapback]

I've pondered the question "How difficult would it be for Acerbis (1) to mold some steel plates into a nylon tank, so that magnetic bags would work?"

The corollary is "Is it possible to epoxy some nicely chromed steel pads to the tank top to make a mag bag readily useable, w/o utterly destroying the looks of the bike?"

Not a fan of strap ons or non-magnetic tanks...

:nerd:

(1) - OEM of Guzzi's plastic, iirc

:mg:

Jon,

I,m quite happy with the stock MG bag,use a good carnuba wax prior to putting it on. Although i,m not a fan of the strap type bags these do not scratch or scuff the tank and can carry quite alot of stuff.

Wish you well with your new toy!!!

Chris

I just went through this about a month or so ago. Advised by this board to go with the stock MG bag. I got mine from MPH in Houston and it's great. Expandable, plenty of storage, well-made, and it stays in place.

The Havens at MPH got the bag to me unbelievably quickly. $169 total price included shipping.

Oh, I put electrical tape on the tank to protect the paint. Seems to be working great.

I tried a different bag-- moved around too damn much.

fish

I've pondered the question "How difficult would it be for Acerbis (1) to mold some steel plates into a nylon tank, so that magnetic bags would work?"

The corollary is "Is it possible to epoxy some nicely chromed steel pads to the tank top to make a mag bag readily useable, w/o utterly destroying the looks of the bike?"

89527[/snapback]

Hmmm, your brochure is intriguing and I would like to hear more of your theories.

Hi again,

I've put about 500 miles on my new 02 Lemans, love that sucker, sure is purty too... But I dont have any storage space for my traveling goods.  Any recommendations on a smallish tank bag for the lemans, and perhaps the provider of choice?  I appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Jon

89520[/snapback]

If smallish is the goal, RKA makes a very nice mini that is expandable but very low profile when collapsed.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/08tnkbag/...ow/ssminix.html

The official Moto Guzzi bag is just the right size unless you like loading huge weight on top of your tank.

Magnetic bags no good 'cos the tank is plastic.

1254.jpg

89525[/snapback]

Yeah, I didn't realize that until after I bought the magnetic type myself <_ .>

Not a fan of strap ons or non-magnetic tanks...

:nerd:

(1) - OEM of Guzzi's plastic, iirc

:mg:

89527[/snapback]

We already know the tank flexes. Steel plates molded into the plastic wouldn't, so you'd get cracks. If the plates were mounted inside the tank, you'd have a tank that's even more expensive to mold and assemble than the one we've got. In as much as the stock MG bag works really well, I'd just say stick with that. I love my MG bag, but I truly wish it zipped open across the back rather than the front as it is possible to forget to zip it shut, take off and have it blow completely open. The map pocket as well would be easier to use if it velcroed down one side of it's complete length rather than a flap at the very front edge. I think the unzip, flip and gas design is really great, so much so that I modified the Marsee bag I have on my California to operate the same way. :mg:

I second... or third... or whatever.... the MG bag :thumbsup:

I've had magnetic bags, and they are fine. But I really prefer strapped-on bags for their secure mounting.

It really is a good bag, and the only complaint I have is that it won't "quite" fit a standard laptop.

I've never had any issues with it scratching the tank, but then again it got used infrequently. I suspect that a good coat of wax before a long ride would be good protection from scratches too.

Al