Billy's Less Wiggly, Now

Greg Field

Billy Bob's my first spine-frame, and I've been amazed how "wiggly" the rear end felt. Yesterday, I spent some time tightening things and checking everything over in the rear end to see if I could spot a problem.

Fortunately, I found a problem--loose swingarm bearings--and tightening them took away much of the wiggliness. When I get that rebuilt Ohlins shock in a few weeks, I'll go though it even more thoroughly while it's apart, and see if further improvements are possible.

Did you find the loose bearings by jacking the rear end and tugging on the swingarm? Also how do you tighten the bearings? (I guess I need a shop manual)I would have thought these bikes would have cartridge bearings that can't be tightened. :huh2:

Thanks,

Tom

Guest ratchethack

Tom, the swingarm is located laterally by thrust bearings whose tension are set with the hex drives in the heads of the stub axles. The stub axles are retained by the plated lock nuts on the "pork chops". I haven't been able to find a torque figure anywhere on these, so I've used an approx. torque of 15-20 ft/lb. (this is the point where the torque starts to spike up rapidly), then back off 1/4 turn as a tightening procedure that has worked well for me. Wonder what procedure Greg used?

Eh, Greg? :huh2:

I do them up until there is zero perceptible lateral play in the swingarm. I watch as much as feel, since if there is a good edge you can see play that you cannot feel, and then I turn the stub axles a little more until it feels right. By feels right I mean the motion of the swingarm, not torque on the stub axles. I've done it hundreds of times on fifty or more Guzzis, and this system seems to eliminate play and also not load bearings too much. My Eldo bearings, for example have nearly 100,000 miles on them and are tight and happy.

What tires should I be running? It has the stock-type Pilot Sports, or whatever they are.

90107[/snapback]

Greg,

As for tires, I have Michelin Pilot Powers, which stick like velcro but seem to wear "reasonably." :whistle: I need to update my avatar with a better shot of sidewall wear. The one there now makes me look like a slab guy. :D

As for shock, dealer installed an Ohlins on my B'io's rear when the stock unit failed.

[so, Greg, what do we call these now? CafeBio's? BioSports? BallSports? :D ]

Anyway, dealer's folks told me they had a heck of time mounting the ... uhm ... brain cramp here ... gas unit [?!] without rubbing against "porkchop." As it is, couldn't get a kleenex in there, but it does clear.

You are, no doubt, more skilled than they, but a forewarning lest you see this as a one-beer job. :luigi:

Bill

What tires should I be running? It has the stock-type Pilot Sports, or whatever they are.

90107[/snapback]

The rear should be one size smaller than the stock OEM.

The early Sports came 170/60 but do better with 160/60.

There is a fan for every brand.

I like Metzeler and Pirelli better than everything else I have tried.

I'm sold on the Metzler Sportec M-1's. The M-3 is out now and the M-1's are on sale at a good price. It was o.e.m. on my Nero Corsa and Cafe Sport. Just put a set on my '03/02 Sport Naked to replace the crappy Bridgestones that came on on it originally.

Wick

90107[/snapback]

heh heh! depends what you want out of them grip or miles? Try Mich Pilot Power 2CTs for steering & grip - *kin amazin! - it's like the difference from TT100/Roadrunners to Phantoms - but no miles at all - half what a Diablo'll do (which suit bike well, give reasonable miles & give plenty of warning when they've had enough). Guzzirider likes Diablo Corsas which maybe halfway house? Non "2CT" Powers'll probably be good too but I haven't tried em.

KB :sun:

Guest geno929

My 2000 V11 Sport is new to me. I bought it new in the crate in March. It seemed to have "the wiggles" on hard accelleration, especially in left turns. Well, I first tried to adjust the front thinking that that was where the problem originated. Nope! Then I tried to adjust the rear. Well, the Sach's-Boge shock has some ODD adjustments to it. Still felt loose and fidgety. Didn't want to turn in and wanted to run wide in turns. Stepped out at apex and on yellow strips.

Let me say that the sag was set and I've been riding and racing for many years. But, this was the first time I had tried Pirelli Diablo tires. So I ordered a set of Dunlop 208ZR's. Put them on and had a few mates over to reset all the suspension settings. Basically loosened all the settings, especially the rear. Loosened preload and maxed extension full. Then went for a ride.

OH MY GOD! This is how it should have been from the beginning. I think the tires had a lot to do with it. I'm very happy that I changed tires and redid the settings instead of just puttting up with a bike that doesn't perform like it should!

post-2386-1148521527_thumb.jpg

I've done it hundreds of times on fifty or more Guzzis, and this system seems to eliminate play and also not load bearings too much. My Eldo bearings, for example have nearly 100,000 miles on them and are tight and happy.

90101[/snapback]

The bearings are completely different. The old conic ones can hardly be mistreated, the ones on the v11 are different here.

Ratchet's procedure sounds reasonable, albeit you'll need a bending torque meter. Or you believe him and take the values as he wrote them.

Hubert

Thanks for the swingarm info guys.  I'm going to take a look at mine this weekend.  The back end of my bike has felt a bit loose to me since I got it a few months ago.

90148[/snapback]

YES! Apparently my swingarm bearings were loose because I snugged them up a bit and the wiggle I was feeling when I rolled off the throttle is gone. Thanks for the tip! I owe you one... :bier: