850 Griso

Guest Barnapkin

I like the griso 850 better than the 1100, I can say I'd like to own one. but the brevas are still more comfy. :2c:

I could live with a little less power if its smoother and cheaper to own and operate :huh2:

anyway you look at it its still a :mg:

I heard that the 850 griso is going to have a short crown type design.

91503[/snapback]

I used to prefer a short crown and coke after work when I wanted to relax. Now I drink wisers and coke - short, lots of ice. No smarter yet but I think it is a long term test!!

Mr. Barn Apkin. I think you had best contact Moto Guzzi and get some technical specs for the 850. What you have been saying so far makes no sense to me. Perhaps you need to get on the Wisers program too!!

wisers.jpg

I used to prefer a short crown and coke after work when I wanted to relax. Now I drink wisers and coke - short, lots of ice. No smarter yet but I think it is a long term test!!

Mr. Barn Apkin. I think you had best contact Moto Guzzi and get some technical specs for the 850. What you have been saying so far makes no sense to me. Perhaps you need to get on the Wisers program too!!

wisers.jpg

91511[/snapback]

why is it imported canadian whiskey, when you live in canada? I suppose if its from quebec! :lol:

:bier:

Guest Barnapkin

I'll stop while I'm behind on this discussion. Hard to cover a technical topic without appropriate diagrams to illustrate the issue. Sorry that the attachment would not load. I tried a few times. Maybe if any of you are in town, then I'll draw some diagrams on a barnapkin for ya. Nuff said.

Regardless. The 850 griso is a much better looking bike than the 1100. Orangeokie's pic is great. very clean look with the black frame, and no oil cooler.

Guest AdamofKC

Like what others have said, operating costs and insurance big factors for me. So if I could get a Breva, the exact same bike, sans smaller engine, it would definitely grab my attention! Insurance for me is insanely expensive, and with the more fuel efficient engine, the rider can expect a slightly greater range than the 1100.

In actuallity, the Breva 850 displacement is really 877cc according to Moto Guzzi UK. But still, I want one! The Breva has what I need, just not the price I'm looking for! If Moto Guzzi brings the 850 to the states, I would do anything and everything I can to get my hands on it. Shaft drive, air cooled, 2 valves, 45+ mpg, 6.3 gallon tank, not a cruiser and not a sport bike, plus all the gear and equipment I would need for riding long distances and into colder weather. The Breva 850 is what I want in a motorcycle.

Imagine two different pistons that are available for the same engine.

Piston A has a "long" crown length of 25mm.

Piston B has a "short" crown length of 15mm.

With a given stroke length, Piston B's con rod has to be 10mm longer than the con rod required by Piston A.  Since Piston B's con rod, and corresponding crank diameter, is longer, Piston B's engine will have greater torque. 

Only if you persist on using a cylinder ht. that is adequate for A. Cylinder B's ht. can be shorter, for a given stroke & identical rod length.

Torque is = RxF.  Assume the force F applied to the con rod is the same from the combustion in the cylinder for both Piston A and B's engines.  Where R is the distance from the center of the crank to the point where the force is applied.  That would be where the con rod connects.  Piston B's crank has to be larger than Piston A's crank because it has to accommodate the longer con rod through 100mm of  travel.

91503[/snapback]

Nope. Stroke is solely determined by the crank radius, defined as the offset of the crank pin from the axis of the crankshaft. Longer con-rods will move the piston up the bore, but that's both at the top of the stroke AND the bottom of the stroke; total piston travel is the same (hence, the use of the term "stroke.")

I'm staying with the "Moto Guzzi chose a de-stroked 850 over a smaller bore as a move to get a higher rpm power peak & thereby play the hp numbers for advertising purposes."

If Guzzi is going with a shorter crown ht. on the 850's piston, it means that the cylinders & pushrods are shorter too. The shorter pushrods would make sense, since the 850 needs to spin higher to make power, & shorter (therefore, lighter) pushrods would help the valvetrain keep up. Hmm.

The 850 is looking more interesting all the time!

:thumbsup:

:mg:

All I can say is that is one pretty looking bike....best looking Guzzi since the original 2001 V11 hit the scene. I believe with MotoGP changing to smaller displacement and petrol prices being permanently high that smaller bore bikes will be more popular going forward.

All I can say is that is one pretty looking bike....best looking Guzzi since the original 2001 V11 hit the scene. 

91584[/snapback]

:2c: Well it isn't bad looking from the right side but then you move over to the other side and you are met with what has to be the largest muffler ever installed on a motorcycle. :vomit: You'll notice that none of the publicity shots are of the left side.

This is for greg.

Follow along with the attachment.

Imagine two different pistons that are available for the same engine.

Piston A has a "long" crown length of 25mm.

Piston B has a "short" crown length of 15mm.

With a given stroke length, Piston B's con rod has to be 10mm longer than the con rod required by Piston A.  Since Piston B's con rod, and corresponding crank diameter, is longer, Piston B's engine will have greater torque. 

Torque is = RxF.  Assume the force F applied to the con rod is the same from the combustion in the cylinder for both Piston A and B's engines.  Where R is the distance from the center of the crank to the point where the force is applied.  That would be where the con rod connects.  Piston B's crank has to be larger than Piston A's crank because it has to accommodate the longer con rod through 100mm of  travel.

I heard that the 850 griso is going to habe a short crown type design.

91503[/snapback]

Barnapkin:

You are incorrect. Crown length is completely irrelevant. LeMans and Cali pistons use the same rods and crank but have very different crown lengths.

:2c: not the largest muffler! havn't you seen a 1700 yamaha warrior..looks to be sourced from kenworth :bbblll:

:2c: Well it isn't bad looking from the right side but then you move over to the other side and you are met with what has to be the largest muffler ever installed on a motorcycle.  :vomit:  You'll notice that none of the publicity shots are of the left side.

91593[/snapback]