now it is Sweden vs Paraguay within an hour

:glare:

if Sweden wins, the big question then is:

who plays Germany in the next round?

Germany have had better squads

but playing Germany at home when you have to win

is an absolute night mare.

Guest Nogbad

In the first half, particularly at the beginning, Sweden were all over Paraguay like a rash. I can't believe it's still 0-0 in the 51st minute.

I think Paraguay have pulled themselves together a bit as the game has gone on.

I predict 1-0 on favour of Sweden at this point. As an Englischer I hope for a draw because that means we finish top of the group regardless.

Are american athletes the only idiot athletes in the world that compare a sporting event to war?? First it was Kellen Winslow Jr. talking about how he's a soldier and its war on the football(american) field, now Eddie Lewis is saying that its like war because he puts a U.S. jersey on with the crest representing America and he's going to do battle with players from other countries. Somebody should smack him, there's a huge difference between war a sports, and to make such assimilations is just stupid.

Guest Nogbad
I think foootball sucks!

92293[/snapback]

Well, this is a thread for those who like it, and want to discuss the World Cup. I suggest therefore you don't waste your time posting in it.

Are american athletes the only idiot athletes in the world that compare a sporting event to war??  First it was Kellen Winslow Jr. talking about how he's a soldier and its war on the football(american) field, now Eddie Lewis is saying that its like war because he puts a U.S. jersey on with the crest representing America and he's going to do battle with players from other countries.  Somebody should smack him, there's a huge difference between war a sports, and to make such assimilations is just stupid.

92329[/snapback]

Yes, I would say so. I have never heard any English footballers say stuff like this, and in any case, a lot of the players in their national sides play alongside the English in club football. The problem in England is finding enough English players to make a national side!

It is stupid, and reinforces the mostly inaccurate impression you Americans create for yourselves abroad. Sad but true.

Guest MotoMessiah
It is stupid, and reinforces the mostly inaccurate impression you Americans create for yourselves abroad. Sad but true.

92330[/snapback]

Don't make me get my gun out... -_-

Are american athletes the only idiot athletes in the world that compare a sporting event to war?? 

92329[/snapback]

I'll bet many athletes entering the global competition arena feel the militant vibe.

Some of us Left wingers have realized for years that sports are war propaganda.

I am sure the movie RollerBall was inspired by that premise.

Vai Brasi!