Two Ballabio questions

Guest parvo

Guest parvo

1) I have an 04 Ballabio. I rode with a local rider who has the exact same bike. My question is...why are the mirrors different? Mine are smaller and pointed towards the front of the bike, while his are larger and flat. Which ones are correct for that model?

2) I thought, and I could be mistaken that V11's have non-adjustable valves. However, I spoke to an owner whose out of state dealer told him that the valves have to be adjusted at each service. I didn't think that my valves needed to be adjusted every service like a Ducati. Whose right?

These are probably easy answers that have been discussed in previous threads, but I couldn't find them.

Thanks for you help.

I can't help you with the mirrors, but you definitely need to adjust the valves.

Hydraulic valves were only on a few California models. Be happy you have the 'old' style. Not only are they lighter, but they're cooler too. Your valves ought to be adjusted every 3000 miles or so. There's a FAQ posted here.

Valve adjustment is easy-peasy- just a locknut and an adjuster nut. No shims or any of that crap. It'll take about 30 minutes, so you might as well do it when you change the oil.

:mg:

edit- by "California", I mean the model, not the state.

Parvo,

I believe both types of mirrors are "correct." Maybe Guzzi just uses whatever is in the box they happen to open first on the assembly line... :mg: I have seen both types sitting side by side on the sales floor. Mine has the flat ones as well. Always kinda wondered if the other ones were less buzzy or not?

do you have to adjust the valves everytime on the 999? that might change everything for me.... as in there would be no way to afford that crazy service regime. they wanted $400 for the guzzi's big service (valves and oil, they didn't mention head torq) and I assume ducati's are in no way as easy or quick to work on. Hmmmm maybe I go for a MV Agusta I've seen a couple SPR's for less than the 999's

sorry to hijack the thread. no back to your regularly sched topic...

Adjusting Valves: Here's my take -

I was picking my wife up from the Honda (Car) Dealer the other day, she had been getting her mothers Civic serviced for a long trip they were taking. She was showing me a list of everything the dealership wanted to do which included "Adjusting Valve Clearence". I was shocked. First because I never really considered cars would use anything other than hydralic valves. Second because I have a '93 Civic that, since about 40K miles (when I got it), has NEVER had the valves checked / adjusted. When the speedo stopped working that car had 247,000 miles on it. Never given me a bit of trouble, starts and runs smooth, and still get 40+ MPG.

3000 miles sounds a bit extreme. I check my valves every 12,000 and they're never out of spec (Both a Ducati and BMW R). The BMW, like the Guzzi, are easy to do but the Duc is more complicated.

I think vlave adjustment intervals are set up by the manufactures to give dealerships an increased cash flow . . ..

jb

do you have to adjust the valves everytime on the 999? that might change everything for me.... as in there would be no way to afford that crazy service regime. they wanted $400 for the guzzi's big service (valves and oil, they didn't mention head torq) and I assume ducati's are in no way as easy or quick to work on. Hmmmm maybe I go for a MV Agusta I've seen a couple SPR's for less than the 999's

sorry to hijack the thread. no back to your regularly sched topic...

91964[/snapback]

I'll do it for $100 plus the cost of oil and filter. Just bring it here. I'll torque your head for free. 8-)))

m

Parvo,

It is likely that your bike has the mirrors for the Coppa Italia on it. Some people refer to them as "Madonna" mirrors because of the shape. The other mirrors on the Billy Bob are better. Larger and the stems are wider. Those came on my Cafe Sport and I'm retrofitting them to my '03/02 Sport Naked bike for better rearward visibility.

Wick

I was picking my wife up from the Honda (Car) Dealer the other day, she had been getting her mothers Civic serviced for a long trip they were taking.  She was showing me a list of everything the dealership wanted to do which included "Adjusting Valve Clearence".  I was shocked.  First because I never really considered cars would use anything other than hydralic valves.  Second because I have a '93 Civic that, since about 40K miles (when I got it), has NEVER had the valves checked / adjusted.  When the speedo stopped working that car had 247,000 miles on it.  Never given me a bit of trouble, starts and runs smooth, and still get 40+ MPG.

I _love_ going to the main dealers that my wife insists we get the cars serviced at. They always come out with a huge list of bits that "need" replacing. It took a while but I finally got her to stop saying "Yes" at every suggestion they made. Cath got even the last time we took the Mundaneo in. She does a prodigious mileage, so the services come around every two months or so. We had the previous service record with us and I made myself scarce. Workshop manager comes over to her with a huge list. This: "No, thanks" That: "No thanks".

Then he said "New rotors and pads" "Are they worn out?" she says. "Indeed" he says. "In that case replace them - the ones you put in two months ago must have been defective, so I won't be paying for them" Waves their service record under his nose.

Silly sod....

Even better, after that service it was MOTed two weeks later and failed. "Too dangerous to move, madam". We got a free MOT and the service money back from that. I think Cath is finally cured of her main dealer obsession.

Parvo,

Mine came with the big ugly round mirrors like Mickey Mouse ears...Ditched them for some cheap bar end mirrors, much happier with them.

Valve adjustment is easy, 30 min. I think would be a high estimate after a time or two you'll do them in about 15 min. I would look into getting the back tire off the ground to turn the motor over that way instead of using the alternator bolt, much easier. Either way do them yourself, thus getting to know your Guzzi a little better. :luigi:

Scott

Parvo,

See here :http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=611

Ben,

Here's a brief description of what's required for adjusting Ducati valves. You'd get to do up to 8 of them on a 999:

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/maint/adjust/index.html

I think Ducati recommends first check and adjust at 6k mi and repeat every 6k. Dealers around here get big dollars for this. The Guzzi is a piece of cake in comparison.

I was thinking of getting a big Monster for a while but after reading up on the different engines available I decided the dual spark 1000 would be the best for me. Then I followed my heart (and checked my budget) and bought the LeMans!

Guest parvo

I really appreciate everyone's answers to my questions. I'll have to learn how to do my valves myself, but that doesn't sound like a big deal.

Thanks.