Simple Question on Oil Viscosity (honest)

Ralph Werner

I searched the Forum but couldn't find an answer. Is there any problem using two quarts of Mobil 1 20-50 and two quarts of Mobil 1 10-40 in an engine? My instinct says no. :(

92091[/snapback]

I have always been taught not to mix different multi-viscosity oils. I'm not a chemist just a mechanic. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack
I have always been taught not to mix different multi-viscosity oils.  I'm not a chemist just a mechanic. :luigi:

The Nogmeister is correct. My Dad was an engineer for Shell. It's what the refineries do to get different viscosities & characteristics......Racer types do it all the time, standard practice....

The Nogmeister is correct.  My Dad was an engineer for Shell.  It's what the refineries do to get different viscosities & characteristics......Racer types do it all the time, standard practice....

92154[/snapback]

My dad used to work at an oil refinery as well, I guess I should have asked him. :homer: The topic never came up. He used to mix the lead into the fuel, so he probably doesn't remember much. :(

Guest Nogbad
It's a Guzzi. Itvreally will run quite happily on Yak Fat. Stop worrying!

Pete

92183[/snapback]

Hah! I bet you don't put yak fat in that new Griso. Probably you can be found sneaking decent oil into it.......

I run Mobil 1 15-50 in the big G. Why? Not because I reckon the basic design needs it but because the factory *may* of decided to cheap out on some manufacturing processes and a top of the range synthetic will probably offer marginally better protection in boundary lubrication situations.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, they come from the factory with a full synth in them. Of all my *concerns* with oil, which are overwhelmingly minor, I have found that machines that have swapped from a synth to a mineral or visa-versa are more prone to leaks. Since I spend an inordinate amount of my life stopping grubby shite coming out of the insides of other peoples bikes I have no desire top have to waste any more of it stopping it coming out of mine. Ipso facto I use a TOTR synth in it in the hope I won't have to pull it apart in the next 10 years.

Personally I think that any old mineral Yak Fat will do the job every bit as well, but for me, who's time NOT farting about with bits of broken munt is important, I'll pay the premium and if it goes tit's up I'll scream blue murder at the importer for a warranty claim and fix it for $$$$ :grin:

Pete

I run Mobil 1 15-50 in the big G. Why? Not because I reckon the basic design needs it but because the factory *may* of decided to cheap out on some manufacturing processes and a top of the range synthetic will probably offer marginally better protection in boundary lubrication situations.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, they come from the factory with a full synth in them. Of all my *concerns* with oil, which are overwhelmingly minor, I have found that machines that have swapped from a synth to a mineral or visa-versa are more prone to leaks. Since I spend an inordinate amount of my life stopping grubby shite coming out of the insides of other peoples bikes I have no desire top have to waste any more of it stopping it coming out of mine. Ipso facto I use a TOTR synth in it in the hope I won't have to pull it apart in the next 10 years.

Personally I think that any old mineral Yak Fat will do the job every bit as well, but for me, who's time NOT farting about with bits of broken munt is important, I'll pay the premium and if it goes tit's up I'll scream blue murder at the importer for a warranty claim and fix it for $$$$ :grin:

Pete

92198[/snapback]

Finally!!! Pete Roper is using synthetic! It's in print here first.

Actually Pete, you're just being a frugal ex-pat. Everyone knows that synthetic engine oil is much cheaper than that frickin' yak fat. People following you think your one a solid diet of garbonzo beans as well.

Ciao, Steve G.

Pete

92198[/snapback]

Now that this is finally settled, must be time to move onto in-depth rumination on brake fluids. Does it taste better from plastic bottles or from tins?

It's a Guzzi. Itvreally will run quite happily on Yak Fat. Stop worrying!

Pete

92183[/snapback]

where can I get this yak fat you speak of? is it expensive? :D

I use and will continue to use redline all around, amazing oil-best I've ever seen.

Working on old cars, I don't know if its a rumor, but I hear THE BEST lube possible for transmissions is whale blubber oil, is this an old wives tale? heard the stuff could raise the titanic, cure cancer, and ward off bats, also heard you would never have to change it like todays tranny oils.

side questioin for you oil and gas buffs, did gas used to go stale so fast or has it been engineered that way so no one can "horde" petro :huh2:

side questioin for you oil and gas buffs, did gas used to go stale so fast or has it been engineered that way so no one can "horde" petro  :huh2:

92513[/snapback]

Keep it in the fridge.

Not too close to the kippers.

where can I get this yak fat you speak of? is it expensive?  :D

I use and will continue to use redline all around, amazing oil-best I've ever seen.

Working on old cars, I don't know if its a rumor, but I hear THE BEST lube possible for transmissions is whale blubber oil, is this an old wives tale? heard the stuff could raise the titanic, cure cancer, and ward off bats, also heard you would never have to change it like todays tranny oils.

side questioin for you oil and gas buffs, did gas used to go stale so fast or has it been engineered that way so no one can "horde" petro  :huh2:

92513[/snapback]

This site seems to confirm the blubber blabber http://www.lubegard.com/about.html

I think the increase of alcohol in gasoline increases the water absorbtion capabilities, so it goes stale.

Guest Nogbad

92513[/snapback]

In the old days (ooarrr!) when I were a lad, they could use aromatics such as benzene and things like TEL to modify the combustion behaviour of the petrol and these compounds had fairly high b.p.s and tended to remain in there.

With the advent of unleaded, low emission fuels, other things had to be done. For example, there is a fair amount of volatile alkanes dissolved in the fuel, butane, pentane, heptane etc. These get lost over time as you might expect. Modern formulations are also a lot more likely to explode nastily in an accident than petrol of yore.

They call this "progress".

volatile alkanes dissolved in the fuel, butane, pentane, heptane etc. These get lost over time as you might expect.

92525[/snapback]

er, not if you keep it in the fridge