Things falling off V11's

orangeokie

58601558-473d-028001E0-.jpg

I had my seat off and battery out while installing a new rear hugger. This thing fell to the ground, and I can't figure out what it is nor where it fits. The key is added for perspective.

Any guesses? :huh2:

BTW, the LeMans won't start now. Ignition on, oil light only (no neutral light) no starter. :bbblll:

• 2 weeks later...
I know it is a simple thing, but, did you get all the wires reattached to the battery?

Wick

92651[/snapback]

Battery cables all connected.

No neutral light. (First time for this)

All other lights work.

New battery. New relays.

Starter won't turn over with side stand down.

Side stand up, starters turns but no ignition.

After reading dozens of "won't start" threads in the archives I'm thinking two things:

1. False neutral (hence no light)

2. Gear box neutral switch dirty

Tomorrow I will cycle the gear box to try and find neutral (with green light) . . . if that doesn't work, can someone post a pic of the gear box neutral switch so i can locate it on my bike.

Thanks. I know I can count on some help.

Phil

Battery cables all connected.

No neutral light.  (First time for this)

All other lights work.

New battery. New relays.

Starter won't turn over with side stand down.

Side stand up, starters turns but no ignition.

After reading dozens of "won't start" threads in the archives I'm thinking two things:

1. False neutral (hence no light)

2. Gear box neutral switch dirty

Tomorrow I will cycle the gear box to try and find neutral (with green light) . . . if that doesn't work, can someone post a pic of the gear box neutral switch so i can locate it on my bike.

Thanks.  I know I can count on some help.

Phil

93551[/snapback]

It's on the left hand side, just forward and slightly below the remote resevoir for the shock (above the starter cover). It's really the only thing there. If it hasn't been messed with, it's a violet wire connected to it.

When mine turns over but won't start, its usually the relay for the fuel pump: I wiggle it about a bit, it whirrs into life and off we go!! I have learnt to strt the bike with my lid off, wherever we are, so that I can listen for the whirr before pressing the starter.

Sorry if this is completly off track, but it works in gear or in neutral as long as the clutch is pulled in when you hit the button.

I wiggled the relays to no avail. I can't swear that I heard the fuel pump though. Good point. Thanks for the tip on the neutral switch location. :bier:

I got the neutral light by recycling the gear shifter up and down a few times. However, I am now certain the fuel pump is not working. Ignition on and no "whirrr" from the pump. I played musical chairs with the relays, but still no pump. All fuses OK. I went ahead and ordered five new relays from Dan. Will try those and see what happens.. Any suggestions in the mean time? :huh2:

Only because it hasn't been mentioned; make sure the kill switch isn't turned off. :doh:

Good luck Orange

93668[/snapback]

Thanks Bill . . . been there, done that, but :P . . . she cranks but no start. No fuel pump sound when key on.

Hi,

Assuming that the problem is the fuel system relay, why not switch it out with another relay? It's highly unlikely that all 5 are bad. This will give you something to do until the 5 new relays arrive. :P

-ken

Hi,

Assuming that the problem is the fuel system relay, why not switch it out with another relay?  It's highly unlikely that all 5 are bad.  This will give you something to do until the 5 new relays arrive.  :P

-ken

93797[/snapback]

I already swapped 'em around. That's why I think I'm probably just pissin' in the wind with new relays. But I can't think of anything easy to check, short of hauling her in to the dealer.

:2c: Have you tried bypassing the relay. Rig up a jumper with a switch and go directly from the battery to the output pin of the relay. You could also try going directly to the pump to see if it spins. :luigi:

If it turns out that the pump is spinning, you may have the problem that I just had. On a recent ride, my bike started, then sputtered and then would not start. It basically showed vapor lock symptoms, except that I had just finished eating breakfast and the bike was parked in the shade for 45 minutes. The fuel pump worked, but was making a high pitched whine.

After 20 minutes, it started and would run. I took no chances and headed home and then later to my dealer. The mechanic there tested the output of the pump and it was within specs. We decided that the problem was most likey the electronic petcock, which is a known issues with V11's. When they removed the petcock, one of the wires basically crumbled. This was most likely the problem.

I rode the bike today and there were no problems, once I tightened the bolt on the negative battery terminal. :P

So your problem may be a bad petcock too. Something to check.

Regards,

-ken

58601558-473d-028001E0-.jpg

I had my seat off and battery out while installing a new rear hugger.  This thing fell to the ground, and I can't figure out what it is nor where it fits.  The key is added for perspective.

Any guesses? :huh2:

BTW, the LeMans won't start now.  Ignition on, oil light only (no neutral light) no starter. :bbblll:

92592[/snapback]

Back to the mystery part, I have an exact same part sitting on my work bench. So seems like mine has fallen off too. Everything seems to be working without it, but now my curiosity has grown. :huh2: