Question about Moto Guzzi value

bigbikerrick

I have a neighbor that wants to sell his 1983 california 2 , he is an older gentleman,and has had to stop riding. The bike is very nice cosmetically,has 65K miles on the clock, has new tires, everything works, and is completely stock, runs perfect and he has owned it since new. he wants me to help him sell it, but does not know what its worth. does anyone here have any idea what its worth.? :mg:

Not to be rude, but whatever he can get. Not a classic or a collectible. My guess would be $1200 to $2200 range, depending on how it shows and who you can get to come see it. I'd post on the mgnoc site. The best bet is a guzzisti who knows 65k isn't necessarily ready for the landfill.

what Jim said. Check out the MGNOC classifieds. I'd ask a little more- about 3K, but be prepared to bargain a little. Unfortunately, these are good, solid bikes with terrible resale value.

Actually, the Cal2 is an excellent bike; just really ugly.

I would not take less than 3K for a clean one, but I would never pay more than 12.

After all, I'd toss half the bike in the deep, and simply keep the running gear.

This is a troll isn't it?

Damn. fooled again...  :doh:

93116[/snapback]

Why is it really ugly? It sort of looks like an eldo, or ambo to me, with a different shaped gas tank. what do you mean by troll? the bike is ugly as a troll and should be parked under a bridge? :vomit: Hehehe.

IMHO the Cali series has actually got to look worse as time went by. The T3 Cali was actually quite a looker if you like that kind of thing. The CAli II is not only more comfortable but is also OK-ish in terms of looks to my eyes at least and still maintains the old style 'separate' tank and sidecovers look.

It was after this that things started to go seriously pear shaped in my view. The CALI III and all the sunsequent models with the bulbous, teardrop tank just don't work for me, I think they're hideous. I haven't seen a 'Vintage' in the metal yet but they look like an improvement in the pics. Having said that though the later Calis are very popular in the USA so they appeal to some people.

Dan Kalal has answered and offered his opinions and advice over on WG, since he's covered about a zillion Km on his he's the man to know about possible problems, (Notably the clutch wear problems.) but probably not resale value!!!

Pete

IMHO the Cali series has actually got to look worse as time went by. The T3 Cali was actually quite a looker if you like that kind of thing. The CAli II is not only more comfortable but is also OK-ish in terms of looks to my eyes at least and still maintains the old style 'separate' tank and sidecovers look.

It was after this that things started to go seriously pear shaped in my view. The CALI III and all the sunsequent models with the bulbous, teardrop tank just don't work for me, I think they're hideous. I haven't seen a 'Vintage' in the metal yet but they look like an improvement in the pics. Having said that though the later Calis are very popular in the USA so they appeal to some people.

Dan Kalal has answered and offered his opinions and advice over on WG, since he's covered about a zillion Km on his he's the man to know about possible problems, (Notably the clutch wear problems.) but probably not resale value!!!

Pete

93228[/snapback]

Thanks Pete , I appreciate your input. Rick.

I have a neighbor that wants to sell his 1983 california 2 . . .  does anyone here have any idea what its worth.? :mg:

93028[/snapback]

Rick, post a pic of the bike and it will help. :2c:

Used bikes in good, clean condition will only depreciate so far and then the price levels out and gradually rises over time. An example is a 1973 Triumph Bonneville 750. I have been looking for one for several years. Good, clean original condition bikes can be had for around $3,000 +- $500. These prices have been stable for a while now. For someone who wants an early 80's California in good, clean condition, this is the price range in which I would list it.

I have a neighbor that wants to sell his 1983 california 2 , he is an older gentleman,and has had to stop riding. The bike is very nice cosmetically,has 65K miles on the clock, has new tires, everything works, and is completely stock, runs perfect and he has owned it since new. he wants me to help him sell it, but does not know what its worth. does anyone here have any idea what its worth.? :mg:

93028[/snapback]

I don't know in the US, but in Italy it's worth 3000 to 4000 euro. 65000 miles is quite a lot though, you may easely do other 30000miles with mantenance only, if it has been treated nicely, but you may go through probles in the next 10000 miles if it has been mistreated. I have a '82 California, with 110000 KM, exactly 68000miles. It is still running well, but the compression of course is not as she was young, and I may redo the engine soon. I bought it with 50000miles, clutch and distribution chain just substituted. Other than that, I had to change the joint in the shaft, shock absorbers, and gaskets at the base of the cilinders, that's it. The shock absorbers are crap, see if it has the Koni, already, the forks are also crap, compared to a V11, but we are talking about 2o years ago. You will be amazed by the combined front-rear brake, not reallly and ABS, but almost.