Comfort

windchill

Having caused myself hand damage playing with a chain drive bike earler this year, I now find the standard Guzzi grips very skinny and hard. I would be interested in suggestions for replacements (larger diametre and softer), and tips on how to do it: the grips feel too rigid to "blow off" with an airgun like I did on my Triumph.

Having caused myself hand damage playing with a chain drive bike earler this year, I now find the standard Guzzi grips very skinny and hard. I would be interested in suggestions for replacements (larger diametre and softer), and tips on how to do it: the grips feel too rigid to "blow off" with an airgun like I did on my Triumph.

93394[/snapback]

Just slice them lengthwise with a razor blade then peel off. Easy.

I changed mine to a gel grip by Pro Grip. Same diameter but much softer. They make more than one compound.

I understand the pain....

I put after market heated grips on my Lemans... Very hard and thin. I found some "slip over" foam grip covers that are high density, the heated option still works and the grip is much softer killing some vibration also.

Check out the beemer boneyard for the grip covers (beemerboneyard.com)

They are cheap and work well. I suggest buying more than one pair. They are tricky to install. One hint - - push, don't pull!

:mg:

Use an awl or a tiny screwdriver to place between the bar & the rubber grip. Then spray hair spray or window cleaner or some mild lubricant in the gap between the awl & the grip. Twist the grip while spraying the lube in the gap & the grip will slide right off. No need to destroy a perfectly good set of grips. :thumbsup: If using hair spray just spray the bar wet & slide the new grip back on. When the hairspray dries it acts as a sticky mild glue.

No need to fool around . . . razor blade . . . split 'em and they peel off . . . grok . . . polly want a craker! :P

Renthal makes three different grips . . . hard, medium and soft. I have the mediums and they are A-ok.

57233270-88a4-028001E0-.jpg

I used the compressor as well, it worked great. I put on some pro grips, still not the greatest. I find that I get a high frequency vibration at around 4000 rpm and if I hold it at that engine speed my fingers go completely numb. I get the pins and needles but it is different then before with the old grips it was pressure on the palm of my hand that was causing my fingers to fall asleep. I'm thinking of trying some different bar end weights before I change grips again. If anyone has a suggestion for a good solution let us know.

I used the compressor as well, it worked great.  I put on some pro grips, still not the greatest.  I find that I get a high frequency vibration at around 4000 rpm and if I hold it at that engine speed my fingers go completely numb.  I get the pins and needles but it is different then before with the old grips it was pressure on the palm of my hand that was causing my fingers to fall asleep.  I'm thinking of trying some different bar end weights before I change grips again.  If anyone has a suggestion for a good solution let us know.

93407[/snapback]

I have the solution Zoltan.

I have fiddled around for a couple of years, using orthodox and unorthodox soltions to the dreaded "vibe". First, it is very true that these engines' vibes mellow with mileage. But here's what I did. I wanted Naoplean Beren bar ends, which negated the bar end weights. So I got some old lead weights from the bike shop, melted them with a propane torch [outside and downwind of course, this is mercury based] , then poured lead into the end of each bar, enough so I could get the bar end fastener. I have very sensitive hands with respect to vibes, a result of using a now banned cutting tool at work for years. These mods have prevented me selling the V11 because of the vibes when new.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Rocker

93394[/snapback]

To remove grips, firstly remove end weights.

Using a long thin instrument (e.g. 10cm electrician screwdriver) insert between bar and grip, simultaneously applying some WD40 or similar in the gap - repeat every 120 degrees - it will then almost fall off.

Any bike shop has a range of alternative grips or look in a "go faster" catalogue.

Rockerob.

I have the solution Zoltan.

I have fiddled around for a couple of years, using orthodox and unorthodox soltions to the dreaded "vibe". First, it is very true that these engines' vibes mellow with mileage. But here's what I did. I wanted Naoplean Beren bar ends, which negated the bar end weights. So I got some old lead weights from the bike shop, melted them with a propane torch [outside and downwind of course, this is mercury based] , then poured lead into the end of each bar, enough so I could get the bar end fastener. I have very sensitive hands with respect to vibes, a result of using a now banned cutting tool at work for years. These mods have prevented me selling the V11 because of the vibes when new.

Ciao, Steve G.

93410[/snapback]

Thanks Steve, I'm going to do that to my bars as well. My Dad and I used to make our own lead weight for fishing when I was a kid so I'm familiar with melting lead.