Nog's Stornello*

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Well folks, here are some pictures of the latest acquisition. Unfortunately the spark has gone AWOL so I didn't get her warmed up and such, but at the weekend I may delve into the mysteries of the marmalised generator / ignition thingy. It looks rather MZesque to be honest, and I'm wondering if I will find a DC dynamo in there.

Stornello1.jpg

Stornello2.jpg

Stornello3.jpg

Stornello4.jpg

As you can see I got a fair amount of cycle part spares. Spare tank, original seat and fenders, battery / tool box. It has a brand new Dellorto carb on it which I suspect is not set up properly.

It's been mocked up to look like a racer, no evidence of actual racing though!

Guest Nogbad
Looks good,  :thumbsup: wouldnt mind one of those myself. :luigi:

93618[/snapback]

I have MAJOR electrical challenges! But given what I got, £400 didn't seem bad.

Too cool!

If the wiring is completely shot, brittle and oxidized, just go ahead and make a new loom. It's really not hard (maybe 6, 8 wires). You could download one of the loopframe 'simplifed' wiring diagrams and adapt that to your bike if necessary.

Edit: Too funny, Mr. No-chain.

You will find that on one end of the crank or another, (Probably the left.) there is a flywheel magneto. If you look through the slots on the rotor you'll find a set of really corroded and manky looking points. By turning the rotor with your hand, (Take the plug out dummy!) you'll see that there is a point at which they are supposed to open, being pushed by the cam incorporated in the centre of the rotor.

Because Guiseppe never bothered putting any grease on the heel of the points it long ago wore down to the point where the points no longer open. Simply loosen them and open 'em up a bit so that they do open. them, take a multi-meter st to 'Ohms' and connect it to the points feed wire from the coil and play with the dwell until the points are opening at about the right place as indicated by the marks on the rotor's outside. Add a dob of grease to the heel of the points and kick it in the guts. Chances are the wee bugger will run.

Do of course give it an oil change and set the tappets before you decide to play boy-racer :D . If you're anything like my size get used to people pointing and laughing as you'll look like a circus bear riding a tricycle :grin::grin::grin:

:mg::thumbsup:

Pete

Guest Nogbad
Too cool!

If the wiring is completely shot, brittle and oxidized, just go ahead and make a new loom.  It's really not hard (maybe 6, 8 wires).  You could download one of the loopframe 'simplifed' wiring diagrams and adapt that to your bike if necessary.

93633[/snapback]

There IS no wiring. Someone has somehow wired the genny to the coil to make it run without a battery, unless it always had an "energy transfer" type ignition like a lawnmower with separate coils for generating power for the ancillaries.

Can anyone tell me?

There IS no wiring. Someone has somehow wired the genny to the coil to make it run without a battery, unless it always had an "energy transfer" type ignition like a lawnmower with separate coils for generating power for the ancillaries.

Can anyone tell me?

93657[/snapback]

You lazy boy! 8-)))

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...llo_125-160.gif

Hey thanks. So it is energy transfer. No wonder the damn spark is weak.

I have items 5, 6, 2, 8, 10, 12 and 16. And a headlamp shell. I need everything else!

I wonder if the later bikes had indicators or not.

93676[/snapback]

Do I have to do everything around here? 8-)))

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...Stornello_5.gif

Apparently not.

Are you really going to give that to a 17 year old?

m