VALVE ADJUSTMENT

nuevototem

Hi to all,

I just adjust for the first time the valves of my V11 but I am not satisfied with my work. :not:

1) How much NM or ft/ LB do you tighten the lock nut "C" (WORKSHOP MANUAL: Page: 76)

2) How do you maintain the adjustment screw “D” in position while you tighten the lock nut "C"?

3) Any suggestion to do it "perfect"? :nerd:

Thanks in advance

erm I've just done the valve clearances on my 2000 V11 sport but I don't use a torque wrench I just do it by "feel" so i'm afraid i'm not much use to you on that score. However my method for adjusting the clearwnce is simply to back off or advance the adjustemet screw with my fingers while the locknut is loose and then tighten it (the locknut) and recheck the clearance with the feeler gauge until the clearance is a "nippy fit" ie you push in the blade of the feeler gauge and it snags slightly.

hope this helps

I just tighten locknut by feel too.

I find getting clearance right is a bit hit & miss - usually when I nip up the locknut it'll close up the clearance I've set on the screw ...so I back off the screw to allow for retightening the locknut ...& remeasure clearance. Not very scientific but it's the way I've always done it & it works for me. I use an adjustable spanner to hold the screw & a ring spanner to turn the locknut.

KB :sun:

I use a wrench on the locknut & hold the adjust knob with a pair of pliers. Once you have the valves sest right put the wrench on the nut, then hold the knob with the pliers & tighten the nut with the wrench. Check the clearance again when the nut is tight.

As above prefably use a ring spanner. How tight basically wind it till it stops and then maybe a 1/16th of a turn. Basically !@#$ all nip it up its only there to stop the adjuster comming undone it doesn't secure it to the rocker arm.