Anatomy of a shunt!

Steve G.

Just got back home from a motorcycle holiday, 6 days too short. Monday, riding the Lost Coast Highway in Northern California, a tricky little road and given due respect, I hit a pothole in the middle of the straight road. The bike did a forward flip, twice, with me getting body slamed. I've got cracked ribs, torn calf muscle, and my bike is seriouslt hurt. The pot hole had no road signs or warnings, which I thought might be a good idea as this hole was 6ft deep, and 10 by 60 ft long.

As my partners and I attempted to make the bike servicable again, a few locals drove by, all mentioning how the Saturday before, 5 guys all together went into this hole in the middle of the road, and all had to be medivac'd to hospital. I'm very lucky I was only doing 25 mph.

I would have thought since this incident, steps would have been taken to avoid another crash. Should I contact a U.S. lawyer?

Ciao, Steve G.

In the UK, the local authority would be completely liable for this unless it could prove that it (reasonably) had no prior knowledge. That's why we pay road taxes. Lawyer case, I think.

A 6'x10'x60' hole would definitely cause road closure here. None of our roads are that big....

Hope you heal well and all goes well legally.

mike

Guest scooterneal

It wouldn't hurt to ask a lawyer. If there's a way to make a buck on it they'll jump on it.

Just got back home from a motorcycle holiday, 6 days too short. Monday, riding the Lost Coast Highway in Northern California, a tricky little road and given due respect, I hit a pothole in the middle of the straight road. The bike did a forward flip, twice, with me getting body slamed. I've got cracked ribs, torn calf muscle, and my bike is seriouslt hurt. The pot hole had no road signs or warnings, which I thought might be a good idea as this hole was 6ft deep, and 10 by 60 ft long.

As my partners and I attempted to make the bike servicable again, a few locals drove by, all mentioning how the Saturday before, 5 guys all together went into this hole in the middle of the road, and all had to be medivac'd to hospital. I'm very lucky I was only doing 25 mph.

I would have thought since this incident, steps would have been taken to avoid another crash. Should I contact a U.S. lawyer?

Ciao, Steve G.

94122[/snapback]

:2c: POT HOLE do you live in iraq ? see a lawer you've definately got a case. don't be shy abought it. your doctor-lawer-dentist-politician wouldn't think twice abought it..no warning signs.. doesn't anyone from local authorities use this road? and it was like this for over a week??go for what you can.or at very least to cover all your loss.

Ciao, Steve G.

94122[/snapback]

Sorry to hear of that.

Call me at convenience.

Bill

404.808.8486 (M)

P.S. Disclaimer for the cynical [or, God forbid, legalists who would complain to my bar association :bbblll: ] out there, I am not licensed to practice in California and will not dispense legal advice, just observations and, if desired, a referral.]

Guest ratchethack

EGAD, Steve! Glad you came out of this relatively unscathed.

This reminds me very eerily of a trip down to Ensenada, Mexico. Doing about 50 mph on the coast road, I came around a sharp sweeper to find myself face to face with a pile of dirt as tall as a full-size sedan - right smack in the middle of my lane and comin' up QUICK! :o . . . . Fortunately there was no traffic in the oncoming lane, or I'd have buried myself right there . . . . . After recovering from a heart-in-the-mouth panic stop, I took a close look at it. By the rain furrows in it, it had been there quite awhile. No sign, no barricade, no nothing. . . . . .

Sorry to hear Northern Ca roads may be the first in our once fine state to start assuming the 3rd World status of Mexico. Thanks to our fine State Legislature in Sacramento :not: . . . . . Most of us here have an idea what comes next, and I'm afraid it ain't gonna be pretty. . . . . <_<

Hope you heal up quick.

Obviously, if several injuries had already occurred at the damaged portion of the road, the local, county or state authorities had sufficient time and incentive to mark the problem or close the road. They didn't, so they are fully responsible for everything that has happened. Previous accident reports will make this abundantly clear to any court of law. Road repairs may be expensive, but signs of warning, barricades or simple road closures are not. Go get 'em! And make them get you a Griso to replace your bike.

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap, Steve. I hope you'll heal soon and get back to riding. Look into getting some legal advice for sure. It seems like that if you are a motorcyclist or cyclist or a pedestrian for that matter, and something happens to you that is completely out of your control nobody seems to take you seriously. I was once hit by a car in a crosswalk directly under a street light and the cop said that I was wearing a dark jacket and implied that it was my fault! (I was a teenager back then and didn't know how to persue it, if that happened now I would deal with the cop and the guy who hit me differently that is for sure!) Get a lawyer and push the issue, look for someone from the motorcycling community who will understand what it is like to ride a motorcycle and how many hazards we have to deal with, and how we seem to have less rights because of the "dangerous" activity we choose to persue (what a bunch of crap! :moon: )

Good Luck Steve, and Get Well Soon! :drink:

See ya, Zoltan