Centauro

tomsp

New bike - 97 Centauro. Belonged to Guy Garretson in Florida -- he put in a bunch of known fixes - including, but not limited to, irridium plugs, mistral crossover, new mapped chip, grounding everything, relays, bronze sensors,, etc., -- then added mistral carbon cans, carbon alternator cover, new seat- stock cowl is on its way- Now I got this beast on July 4th with 12, 120 miles on it. Since then, in two morning runs, I added 225 miles. Comparrison with my 03 lemans -- the Centauro has of course a much more relaxed riding position - a leaning forward standard. Very comfortable. It pulls like a frieght train. Strong. Turns n willingly with zero effort. Holdsthe line, even with me riding. With the 4 valves it more noisy than the lemans but it has a great sound. I've got oem handlebars ordered. So far, so good -- keep it running -- I'm having to re-=read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance to get into the "I'm gong to have to work on this thing frame of mind :P

Electrical seems stronger than the lemans - it's got some rust on some parts from florida -- like the rear sets have a couple of spots -- how do I get that out -- or do I remove and paint/ plate over?

Hey, the hauler only hauled bikes -- two decks - completely full. I got a pic of Michael Jordan's HD (one of them ) - he has it hauled to where he's going to be and then rides and then the hauler picks it back up and brings it to the next place.... cool.

The pipes had a ceramic coating put on them -- but it looks really bad. I need to crome or silver plate them (jet coatings?). He's got a bunch of custom off parts -- look at the header clamps.

tom_scentauro17_4_06.JPG

Guest ratchethack

Outstanding, Tom. I'm envious.

Coupla suggestions:

1. Bunkhouse Logic (Ben Stein) in lieu of Zen and the art... Much more applicable to Guzzi maintenance and far more powerful wisdom for life in general.

2. Jet-Hot ceramic coatings. Superb customer service, exceptionally high quality work, long-term durability second to none, and they'll send you a presentation tape of their process with a quote.

ben stein is my kind of guy. he makes good sense and he's real, fluid -- people have a hard time putting him in a political box. i'll get it.

I'll do the other with my pipes too. :)

just got back from a brief night ride== there's a brief flutter, stumble every time excellerating from stop in first gear -=-- throttle bodies / tps adjustment coming up.

Will Creedon made a brilliant chip for the Centauro. It completely transformed the character of mine -- and eliminated the stumble you speak of.

Congrats on your purchase. THe 4V motor is a BEAST!!!!!!!!

v50

Will Creedon made a brilliant chip for the Centauro.  It completely transformed the character of mine -- and eliminated the stumble you speak of.

Congrats on your purchase.  THe 4V motor is a BEAST!!!!!!!!

v50

94446[/snapback]

I believe Will C. has already worked the niggles out of that bike with Guy. I know Guy spent many hours getting it right with the mods and maps. I was lucky enough to get a few mile in the seat of that bike in the Adirondacks last year and it was a wonderfull ride :bike:

re. the ceramic coating, Guy had problems with that pretty early, it wasn't too bad when I last saw it but it needs to be redone with better prep or thickness. Not sure what the cause was but there was a little rust like blead through in spots :huh2:

you're right edge of the wil creedon chip - guy's beast had it for sure -- and it does run great. It just stumbles, especially when cold - the throttle skips and maybe there's too much throttle play in the linkage maybe-- when cold especially, when rolling the throttle slightly on, there's a squeak sound in the throttle linkage, a stumble, then it catches and all is fine thereafter.

on the pipes, I'm going to have them jet coated with their silver, nickel look. And even though the current veluchi (? I can't spell) bars fit me perfectly and the bike handles beautifully with them, I like the look of the OEM bars - I've got them ordered......

the whole bike seems sooooo stable too.

I almost forgot -=- had to add this edit while in Alaska too -- the gearbox -- 5 speed and silky smooth. Man oh man. Haven't heard a clunk yet.

speaking of alaska -- been in jeauno (can't spell), skaqway, ketchakan - no guzzi's yet -- seen quite a few adventure tourers however. One guy I met at the top of whitehorse pass - he'd been to Nome (!) on a honda all purpose tourer.

back to that TB noise - stumble -- before I go hooking up my twin max and start fooling with this thing - can I gete some advice here? -- at idle all seems fine at about 1200 rpm- perfect with no hiccups. Then giving it a little throttle, I can see the right throttle body butterfly open slightly, I hear a sqeak coming from the TB (?) and then rpm's drop. My solution while out is to increase throttle rpm's which to me is overtaxing the engine and can't be too good for the clutch either! What do you think? TB balance and tps setting?

back to that TB noise - stumble -- before I go hooking up my twin max and start fooling with this thing - can I gete some advice here? -- at idle all seems fine at about 1200 rpm- perfect with no hiccups. Then giving it a little throttle, I can see the right throttle body butterfly open slightly, I hear a sqeak coming from the TB (?) and then rpm's drop. My solution while out is to increase throttle rpm's which to me is overtaxing the engine and can't be too good for the clutch either! What do you think? TB balance and tps setting?

These have rubber intakes like the later V11? TBs that squeek make me think of an intake leak . . .

"These have rubber intakes like the later V11? TBs that squeek make me think of an intake leak . . "

OK, the right throttle body rubber intake cover does have little cracked lines all over it. The left side rubber does not. Can I tell if it's leaking by spraying water over it while running?

The usual approach is to spray it with carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner. A change in idle quality is positive for a leak. Several wraps of good electrical tape may be expedient while the global Guzzi parts supply stabilizes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cduzzi

Congrats on the purchase of the Centauro. I"ve only seen 2 of them here in TX -except for the one in the back of a pick-up at last October's Italy rally. Would love to own one for the motor - something special about a unique bike and motor like the Centauro.