Question for the faithful?

99d12

Almost pulled the trigger on a Coppa Italia last December but life got in the way and couldn't do it. I called the dealer back a few months later but the Coppa was gone. So I set my mind to the fact that if I were going to get a Guzzi it was going to be a newer model.

I like the Breva and was waiting to see what the Norge is like before I make my decision. No problem, I can wait I have a bike to ride for now. I am keeping my Triumph Daytona 1200 anyways.

Well the dealer called this week and said he just got his hands on a brand new 2004 Cafe Sport!!! My heart says get the Cafe while my brain says wait for one of the newer Guzzi. The Cafe is a much better buy price wise but one of the newer bikes will be more practical for Sport-touring w/pillian.

Help!!!

David

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ramon61

My heart says get the Cafe while my brain says wait for one of the newer Guzzi. The Cafe is a much better buy price wise but one of the newer bikes will be more practical for Sport-touring w/pillian.

Help!!!

David

94350[/snapback]

Where has listening to one's brain ever got anyone, especially when one's heart said something else? Would you shop for a wife with your brain?

Allright then. Get the Cafe Sport!

The Breva or Griso has better suspension than the V11, which might be important to you if you like to ride agressively now and then. Choosing a motorcycle is not an entirely rational decision, so try to satisfy your heart at the same time as choosing the right tool for the job.

All these bikes are so different. I thought the Daytona was a sport bike. Actually, never heard of a Daytona 1200.

The Norge would be the perfect two-up touring bike. Far better than a Lemans for that. If I were just talking about riding solo in curvy mountainous area, I would take a Griso or a Ohlins-equipped V11. The Coppa comes with Ohlins which is good; I wouldn't buy a V11 without Ohlins. I wouldn't use a Coppa for real long-distance two-up riding. Get a dedicated bike for that.

What turns me off from the new bikes is the handlebars.

If you can get past the handlebars, go for a new model.

norgebars9on.png

Yuck!

Where is the adjustability?

How much effort would it be to upgrade to clipons or standard bars???????

If you're going to travel two-up more than 25% of the time (or more than 100 miles in a day), take the bride / mistress / significant other (preferably not at the same time) & have her sit on the bike with you.

From first-hand experience, it will pay really big rewards in the long run - far more than the difference in price between the bikes.

Just my :2c: , but give it some thought.........

Phil

Follow your heart; the brain is not to be trusted in matters Italian.

I picked up a Cafe Sport from Moto International in Seattle two weeks ago and rode it back to Denver. It's my first Guzzi.

A few thoughts. From the heart.

Unless you WANT a two-up bike like the Norge, why get a Breva and give up 10 horsepower at the rear wheel? That seems to be the price of a catalytic converterized exhaust system. NOTE: the Euro spec Cafe Sport has a catalytic convertor; the US spec version does not.

The updated V11 engine in the Breva is supposedly smoother. Who cares?

But the big deal, the REALLY BIG DEAL is the Ohlins suspension. Magic stuff if you're a canyon rider. How much would it cost to buy Ohlins forks, rear shock and steering damper? $3K-4K? More? As much as I'd like to upgrade an existing bike to full Ohlins, I knew I'd never throw that kind of money at a used bike.

Look, David, you already blew it big time letting the Coppa Italia get away from you. You now have a chance for salvation with the Cafe Sport.

Chris Lawson

P.S. The Cafe Sport's seat is not a touring saddle. Nope. Not even close.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Coppa Italia last December but life got in the way and couldn't do it. I called the dealer back a few months later but the Coppa was gone. So I set my mind to the fact that if I were going to get a Guzzi it was going to be a newer model.

I like the Breva and was waiting to see what the Norge is like before I make my decision. No problem, I can wait I have a bike to ride for now. I am keeping my Triumph Daytona 1200 anyways.

Well the dealer called this week and said he just got his hands on a brand new 2004 Cafe Sport!!! My heart says get the Cafe while my brain says wait for one of the newer Guzzi. The Cafe is a much better buy price wise but one of the newer bikes will be more practical for Sport-touring w/pillian.

Help!!!

David

94350[/snapback]

i wouldnt get the cafe sport...

unless youre in love with the look of the bike in which case nothing logical matters.

Everyones raving about the new Guzzis , build quality, ride handling etc etc. I bet it won't be long before theres an uprated Griso with quality shiny suspension bits.

also guzzi are alledgedly building a 180mph bike for sale in 07. I think when Todd Eagan was at the factory he asked if it was a compressor motor and the guy grinned.

so the V11's pretty much suck compared to modern bikes in every imaginable way other than that character and grin factor, which is of course why we have them. The new Guzzis are modern motorcycles with quality materials and construction that are being compared favourably with other Marque's offerings.

So it really depends what you're after in a bike. There's a lot of reasons that many diehard guzzi owners refuse to ride a Spine framed bike.

I wouldnt give up mine but then im retarded :)

:stupid:

The new bikes look and feel so much 'more' modern but they don't feel as solid to me. That being said robbie is right the new bikes are more advanced and will hopefully save guzzi. The v11 line should have been an off shoot like the ducati throwbacks than the only marque of the company. The MGS was a good offering but blindingly expensive for no street legal. I think a Griso 850 could make it into my garage someday even if I have to send for one, and I'd like to see this 180mph bike you speak of and whats this compressor motor? :huh:

That being said if you asked a couple years ago I'd say GET the cafe for its the bike I wanted real bad when they weren't available yet when I got my guzzi. But now there is so much more ^_^

if you were talking a Coppa I'd have a different tune :whistle: