Question for the faithful?

99d12

also guzzi are alledgedly building a 180mph bike for sale in 07. I think when Todd Eagan was at the factory he asked if it was a compressor motor and the guy grinned.

94417[/snapback]

From what I remember from the Cooked Goose site, the present limit on top-speed for the V11 bikes is gearing (can't just "change the sprocket" on a shaftie!); but the gap from 130 to 180 is HUGE, & no way to bridge it with the present motor.

Still, 180mph is a silly goal to build toward: it's not like the Eye-abusers & Kwak 1400s aren't still going to leave you in their wake, and yet there's still only a few dry lake beds available for wringing out the speeds such machines are able to achieve.

What's the point? Frankly, as much as I appreciate the classic "bikeness" of the air-cooled Carcano mill, if Guzzi (Piaggio) wants to play in those leagues, it's time to move to a water-cooled mill. Once that big decision is made, it's no longer necessary to remain wedded to a longitudinal V-twin, or even a V2 of any ilk; Guzzi has made just about every engine config there is over their history, so why not move on to something new? A blown, injected transverse triple? A narrow-angle longitudinal V4 or 6 or 8? Transverse V4 a la' the Ducati Apollo?

I doubt very much any of that is due, simply because Piaggio is going to demand Guzzi start showing some ROI before they sink any money into further product development. The most I would hope/expect to see is a push-rod 4v head, maybe w/ head-only water cooling so that Guzzi could honestly move a 100hp production bike out the door.

But that's all I can see in this pitted, cracked & bubble-filled sno-globe I use for my crystal ball... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dood you need to cut down on the crack. Who said anything about it being a V11 1064cc based lump ?

It's pretty common knowledge that Guzzi had a 4 valve water cooled motor running on the bench quite some years ago. The word on a 180 mph street bike came from an interview with a designer on Guzzi's future direction, that it would feature a compressor motor is pure conjecture based on reactions to Todd's questions when he was last at the factory.

Do i really look i care if you do or do not want a potential new big number SuperBike from Guzzi ? I'm sure the goal is not to tempt you to buy it, but to tempt potential buyers of the new BMW's away from that brand given that Guzzi is now competing head to head with BMW in several market niches. Like it or hate it, HP sells bikes these days. Ridiculous but true.

If they build it, it might be fun to check out, and its exciting to see that the Brand looks serious about increasing some market share.

Hmmmm, I might happen to know that the envelope is open . . . and why would a guy with a sport-touring Trumpet need a Nor-gay anyway?

Let the Sports rumble! :bier:

or: "Honey, when I get back from the mountains we'll take the Trumpet for a whorl . . ."

A V11 based bike summed up, is a really good bike, from the mid/late eighties. Essentially this is the feel, ride quality, and build quality that was the norm back then. The one difference is the Brembo brakes these machines have, which are very much circa-late 1990's.

Don't paint it with a bad brush compared to the new 'post spine frame' bikes. The riding public have yet to give these machines seat time and mileage. I would not be surprised to here of problems arising from usage.

Ciao, Steve G.

The riding public have yet to give these machines seat time and mileage. I would not be surprised to here of problems arising from usage.

Ciao, Steve G.

This is purely anecdotal, so take with a grain of salt. I was speaking with my local dealer the other day about the Breva 1100 and the nationals in Iowa- it was hot here, hot all across the nation. Anyhow, Jim sold a bike to a fellow in Virginia, and this bike has already been through 4 sets of tires. The guy who bought it left the nationals and on monday called Jim and said somthing was wrong with the steering. After talking with the guy, it developed that the problem was that the bike pulled to the left, and subsequently the bike and rider ended up in Wyoming. To get there, he drove across South Dakota. On Sunday, July 16. It was 105 F in Pierre, S.D. and this fellow had no problems other than not drinking enough water. Anecdotal? Sure. But it sounds like a good prospect.

Did you say a 180 mph Guzzi? That WILL be my next bike if they make it happen. It's about time Guzzi made a for-real sport bike. On the other hand, I don't know HOW you can make a real sport bike with no racing program. The Jap bikes DO feel like race bikes because their frames were made for the track. You can feel the difference. I've been lucky with my spiny because it has never exhibited bad handling. But that is not true with all of them. Dicey quality control.

Not sure how this got so far off topic???

Thanks for all your views on this question. I appreciate the input!

I will be getting the 04 Cafe Sport, already made a deposit on my new baby. Should be able to get it next week.

Thanks!

David

Excellent decision. I did a lot to mine in an attempt to truly personalize the Cafe Sport. At the very least, I would suggest that you immediately install a set of slip-on pipes. I've got M4's on all my V11's, but, anything is better than what is on it now. Bang for the buck, new cans are the best single investment you can make.

The second thing to do, and this may or not be cash intensive, is get those Ohlins properly set to your weight and riding style. Sure, ride it a while and let them break-in a bit, then get them serviced and set-up. If you don't weigh much, great. It may only be a clicker adjustment. If you are over 180 lbs like me, then there would be some spring replacements to your Ohlins that should be made.

Everything else you might do to the bike is just a way to spend money that should go towards gas, oil and tires.

Enjoy your new bike. The Cafe Sport is the best of the last of the spine frames......

Wick

Did you say a 180 mph Guzzi? That WILL be my next bike if they make it happen. It's about time Guzzi made a for-real sport bike. On the other hand, I don't know HOW you can make a real sport bike with no racing program. The Jap bikes DO feel like race bikes because their frames were made for the track. You can feel the difference. I've been lucky with my spiny because it has never exhibited bad handling. But that is not true with all of them. Dicey quality control.

Off topic for Enzo;

Just try a SuperTwin you will ride a guzzi build for track use.

Even if engine is what it is in 2v, with my 1225 4v is more than enough, the more usefull is the incredible torque but Moto Spezial Unit with electronic speedometer announced a 260 km/h - 161 MPH top at 9000 rpm in fifth :drink: , frame of SuperTwin with ohlins stuff is absolutely incredible on track.

OEM SuperTwin frame is good but suspension unit must be upgrade to ohlins stuff like other race bike.

Just waiting for the Aluminium reinforced Zebulon swing arm :drink::luigi::food:

Guest Barrett82

What dealer has the sport?

I'm in the market for my 3rd bike

Almost pulled the trigger on a Coppa Italia last December but life got in the way and couldn't do it. I called the dealer back a few months later but the Coppa was gone. So I set my mind to the fact that if I were going to get a Guzzi it was going to be a newer model.

I like the Breva and was waiting to see what the Norge is like before I make my decision. No problem, I can wait I have a bike to ride for now. I am keeping my Triumph Daytona 1200 anyways.

Well the dealer called this week and said he just got his hands on a brand new 2004 Cafe Sport!!! My heart says get the Cafe while my brain says wait for one of the newer Guzzi. The Cafe is a much better buy price wise but one of the newer bikes will be more practical for Sport-touring w/pillian.

Help!!!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Barrett82 :grin:

The Cafe is no longer at the dealer!

It is in my garage!!!! :bier:

But you may want to check with him to see what is available. Atlanta Motor World, talk to Shawn.

Later!

David

Sorry Barrett82 :grin:

The Cafe is no longer at the dealer!

It is in my garage!!!! :bier:

But you may want to check with him to see what is available. Atlanta Motor World, talk to Shawn.

Later!

David

wait did you get the coppa or the cafe? you said cafo but your info under your name says coppa, I love the coppa I almost wish I would have waited for that to come out, but then thats crazy talk I'm happy with my bike. :mg:

Got the Cafe!

The only difference from the Coppa is the paint and pipes. The Coppa is a real beauty but to be honest I like the understated looks of the Cafe better. It doesn't jump out at you, but rather slips up from behind.

Later!

David

Got the Cafe!

It doesn't jump out at you, but rather slips up from behind.

Later!

David

Kind of like a big, black Daytona 1200 at a buck-something?

180 mph? For what? A decent rider can kick everyones butt on a CBR 600...end of story.

If I was going new the Norge would have to be my choice...The LeMans comes up a

little short on the camping/rally trips. Good thing I ride with my BeeMer buddies that

are set up to haul cord wood. The more I think of it my '80 SP is more fun than anything.

Sold the Duc a couple of days ago...the end of an era...~siff~ The 44 Y.O. that bought it is in

for a treat. Getting off his 650 Hawk...his eyes were wide returning from the test ride.

Give him a couple of years on the sausage creature and he'll be shopping for a Guzzi.

He was smitten with the LeMans... :D:mg: