OHLINS

S251

aw geez.  Not this crap again.  Please leave this shite in the GW thread where I don't have to look at it.

Oh great bearer of the TRUTH - please keep it in your pocket where you found it.

Rj

94843[/snapback]

:stupid::stupid::stupid::D

:bier:

Cheers

Van

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a disinterested and unbiased third party I have to say that the posts from rachethack are some of the most entertaining on this forum. They are always comprehensive in nature, even though I don't always understand what is his point.:bier:

94848[/snapback]

:stupid::stupid::stupid::grin:

...true,

:bier:

Cheers

Van

My Ohlins were showing a bit of un-nitrited surface area since almost new. I could have screamed and yelled and had my dealer pull the front end off of my bike for a year while I waited for replacement tubes to arrive but then I would have been without the bike for that time.

I don't like it, but Ohlins are higher maintenance items. If I get 10K miles out of them between seal changes I feel lucky. I'm looking at various things I can do to keep them happy, but I console myself with the fact that at least they're easy to work on. :D

Though I just got this tool and haven't had a chance to try it with my Scura, it has helped a weepy seal on another bike I have. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/seal_mate

It cleans the 'gook' out from behind the seal. It's a bit of a pain on upside down forks because to use it properly you need to remove the wheel and fender which is half the work of replacing Ohlins seals but it is a bit cheaper than a full seal change.

My :2c:

johnk

I'm with ya. Why do we have to scroll through this shite to find something to do with our bikes ? And why do motorcyle people always include these assinine "individualists" with pre-packaged neo-con opinions ?

Freedom ! Terrists !

May as well through my :2c: worth in here as well. Quoting directly from the web site of a company that do TiN coating (The coating forms a metallurgical bond to the substrate that will not flake, blister, chip or peel. In fact, the coating is actually implanted slightly into the surface layer of the substrate). To me this sounds like there may have been a problem with the coating process. They also state that TiN is a low friction surface. So while this in it self will not cause any problems (worn gold coating that is) with the function of the forks it surely must be enough to cause consearn of premature wear. Both of my bikes still look good and so far have only had to replace one set of seals (Scura) it now has 36,000kms.

The rear shock just stopped working from time to time and then gave up altogether.

I had mentioned to the dealer that all was not well for over 12 months in the warranty period.

Thow this back at you dealer and if your can not get any satisfactoy action from him try phoning John Sample Auto the importers of Guzzi in Aust.

Guest ratchethack
Freedom ! Terrists ! 

Im wif yoo marn.

Freidum too the Toorists!

Lett Gwantomonno go!

powwer to the richus wuns!

Powor too thuh emumees of thu Staat!

Moar cumfterble bentches in Guldun Gaat Paurk!

Sav the Wales!

muar mefodan kliniks!

Maor penusilurrene!

Freee Mooomeeeah Aboooojuhmalll!

Moar baff howses in the Tendurloin!

Freee needles!

moar soop kichens!

:rasta:

Not that all the cool banter is not entertaining but on the subject of the worn Ohlins I would like to report from my own experience that Ohlins has had some manufacturing defects ( tolerances on the sliders too wide causing seals to fail prematurely) as it occurred on my Ducati 998. Ducati apparently held Ohlins (USA) responsible so the forks were sent to them to make right.....Any way to look into that down under? Cheers

:2c: who does! i personaly believe he's not real but a piece of MS SOFTWARE. -_-

As a disinterested and unbiased third party I have to say that the posts from rachethack are some of the most entertaining on this forum. They are always comprehensive in nature, even though I don't always understand what is his point.:bier:

94848[/snapback]

Howz it goin', Ryan? 

Your contributions are always such positive, uplifting additions. 

Is there someone holding you at gunpoint, forcing you to read posts that you aren't interested in?

Are they then also forcing you at gunpoint to reply to the stuff you aren't interested in to complain about it?

Are you related to that other guy who does the same thing?

Enquiring minds just gotta know. :grin:

94847[/snapback]

:rolleyes: You've missed the point again. The point is - I know your self righteous crap is rampant in the GW thread. That's why I AVOID reading it like the plague. I'm just asking that you keep it there and not littered randomly about the other threads.

I know you are a conspiracy theorist. Just because you have your head in the sand on a different beach doesn't mean you have the whole picture.

I really enjoy MOST of your posts. I just get pissed when anyone takes a "holier than thou" attitude. That's why I like to post little provocative messages that result in 1000 word responses from you. You like to type, I like to make people type. Especially if I can get them to type the same thing over and over. See - It's really a good relationship...

:)

Rj

You like to type, I like to make people type.  Especially if I can get them to type the same thing over and over.  See - It's really a good relationship...

:)

Rj

Now that IS funny. :bier:

Reminds me a little bit of a line from a Joseph Wambaugh novel. Overweight but determined cop suitor to well conditioned (and quite resistave) female object of his attention as he rides up on his bicycle panting. She's about to take off on a brisk run. He says sumthin' like:

"Baby we're perfect for each other. We're both into pain. Mine."

Not exactly word for word maybe, but close.

Guest ratchethack
I just get pissed when anyone takes a "holier than thou" attitude. 

Hmmmmm, interesting, Ryan.

Ever ask y'erself why anything that anyone posts (anything that's not a direct personal attack on you, that is) can make you get pissed - or otherwise make you get anything?

I'm no Psychologist, but perhaps there's a perceived threat of some kind involved? D'ya s'pose that's why you and that other guy barge threads y'er not either participating in or interested in and do y'er little unprovoked "drive by's"? :huh2:

There's lots of wacky stuff going on all the time. Speaking for myself, nothing I read here or on any other forum makes me get pissed or causes me the least bit o' acrimony. I manage to ignore lots of what to me is just chaff without any problem.

Quite often I'm struck by the great wisdom of others, and I learn lots of valuable things here all the time.

But what surprises me the most is the level of rank stupidity of a select few who presumably can function at a high enough level to actually own a computer and operate a keyboard well enough to post here. <_<

As Mama Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." :P

But what surprises me the most is the level of rank stupidity of a select few who presumably can function at a high enough level to actually own a computer and operate a keyboard well enough to post here.  <_>

94924[/snapback]

:drink:

Nog and Ratchet, the technical forums would be more enjoyable if you stop acting like asses. Who really cares if you think appreciators of gold nitride coated fork tubes are philistines?!?

Getting back to the topic.

Something caused the seals to fail too soon.

My money is on the forks tubes causing the failure.

Nogbad, says I am wrong.

No big surprise that Nog and Ratchet disagree with me.

Assuming I am wrong,and his new seals will last longer than 10,000km what does that leave?

Replace seals and:

1-Keep your forks and seals cleaner and properly lubed (Ohlins green grease) http://www.pitposse.com/moprosefosec.html (the aforementioned sealmate)

2-install something to protect the forks, like the Aprilia fender or neoprene fork guards or rubber boots.

Here is an article that may be of interest to the philistines:

http://www.pace-racing.co.uk/newsstory.asp?id=161

It warns of aluminum nitride wearing through and some cases of it wearing through the chrome to the base metal. Note their forks are for bicycles.

This article http://www.pace-racing.co.uk/newsstory.asp?id=225

suggested that fork oil be used rather than grease

And this is interesting from Max at Traxxion:

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  09:00:00 AM 

They upgrade coatings are supposed to reduce stiction and improve nick and ding resistance.

Ti Nitride is only marginally better than hard chrome and not worth they money in my opinion.

There is another one called WCC or Tungsten Carbon Carbide. It is within a few points of Rockwell of Ti Ni and has a fraction of the surface drag. Much better. Same money. Smoke looking color.

Then there is a new one, DLC, or Diamond Like Coating, which is much harder than WCC, but similar low coefficient of drag. Black in color, and twice as expensive.

WCC is the best in my mind.

========================

Max McAllister

President

Traxxion Dynamics, Inc.

Axxion Arm Systems, Inc.