OHLINS

S251

Er, I don't swing that way. . . .

I think you've got me confused with one of those sophisticated and enlightened Metrosexual, New Agers. <_>

95019[/snapback]

Oh Gawd!

Don't start THAT again! :huh:

Nige. :grin:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this thread cos it was about a technical issue that concerns me. I can't be arsed wading thru all the personal banter to find something that is relevant to the issue. Can't you keep this stuff out of tech topics? - there's a place for it on the forum & we can all go & enjoy it there if we wish. Thank you.

My Ohlins seals last between 3.5 & 7k miles. Although stanchion wear is evident, there's no wear thru the TiN coating to expose chrome. 17k miles. The forks are very low stiction, tho how much of that is due to the coating I have no idea.

KB :sun:

I wasn't attacking you for disagreeing. I was pointing out that it is OK for anyone to disagree.

I welcome your and anyone elses thoughts always (even Enzo's!!).

95014[/snapback]

well duh!

Please direct your pointing at someone else.

I read this thread cos it was about a technical issue that concerns me. I can't be arsed wading thru all the personal banter to find something that is relevant to the issue. Can't you keep this stuff out of tech topics? - there's a place for it on the forum & we can all go & enjoy it there if we wish. Thank you.

95041[/snapback]

Sorry. I should just ignore them.

My Ohlins seals last between 3.5 & 7k miles. Although stanchion wear is evident, there's no wear thru the TiN coating to expose chrome. 17k miles. The forks are very low stiction, tho how much of that is due to the coating I have no idea.

95041[/snapback]

Crud!

So the seal failure may be "normal" for Ohlins.

I guess I better keep my Marzocchis.

Yes the gold stanchion surface wore through to the bright chrome and the seals fail. No dirt riding only city and highways. The bike has been we me from new but in the shop for 2 years and serviced by the dealer for sale.

I use a becker stand.

You have to also know that changing fok oil every year or so is essensial, old oil can oxidise and blow up seals and or damage the fork more.I do change the fron fork's oil every year.

I guess that perhaps the same applies to the rear shock? but I have not done anything to the rear yet , should i get it to a suspension workshop? Dunno but my WP works fine

I

My Ohlins seals last between 3.5 & 7k miles. Although stanchion wear is evident, there's no wear thru the TiN coating to expose chrome. 17k miles.

I have this WP fork an I still have the seals after 15K km, I just change oil every 12K or once a year.My suspencion mechanic says this is a must to extend seals life and of cource fork's performance

Dunno though what's 'normal' for öhlins

I have 10,000 miles on my ohlins and i dont think they have ever been looked at (bought second hand). But next time i am home am going to see the ohlins man at knockhill for advice and a service. the ohlins manual i have says they should be checked 3 or 4 times a year (although what a check entails i have no idea). They seem to be working perfectly but i am starting to get paranoid about neglecting them. :whistle:

Gary

....change oil every 12K or once a year.My suspencion mechanic says this is a must to extend seals life and of cource fork's performance

Dunno though what's 'normal' for öhlins

I change oil pretty often...everytime I put in new seals!

No, you did not call anyone a philistine.

That was a joke.

Ratchet has only used the word how many times??????

It seems to have taken on the meaning of anyone who disagrees with him.

So, that is how it was used.

As for gold nitride not doing anything, again we disagree. You are the expert, but I defer to other experts, like this Max at Traxxion guy.

As for the tubes being unscored and smooth, that would be a good indicator of a future successful seal life. But we don't have enough information.

S251 suggested that there was a problem all along.

I would hope the warranty would cover the tubes and seals and rear shock.I would be checking the tubes to see if they are unscored and smooth rather than suggesting they are fine after an 8500km faillure.

Perhaps dragging a pencil eraser across the surface would give an indication of whether the seal would feel increased friction where the nitride has worn off...an electron microscope might be overkill and still not give a good indication.

For me this fork failure is a wake up call to better protect my ti-nitride.

323, thanks for posting about the sealmate :bier:

FWIW, I wish the forks were silver colored instead of gold to better match the bike, but I can't expect you to share the same aesthetic taste. I value the function of the Ohlins and the nitride coating over the aesthetics, but I probably won't get an award from Ratchet for it because I probably spent so much money on the upgrade.

Yes, I did mention to the retailer that the shocks were suspect from the outset. The rear shock in particular was good some days and bad on others. Adjustments made a little difference but the loss of control over the spring on the bad days was really evident to anyone who rode the bike. This however, could not be translated into action by the retailer.

Here in Sydney some retailers are not inclined to do do anything apart from sell the bike and then sell another bike so as to keep away from costly workshop time. The retailer would not even take the bike back at 6,500km as part payment for a new Griso, or Le mans before the seals leaked at 8,500km. IS IT THE SCURGE OF THE SCURA????

With the front the respone from the retailer was; "just try the settings, and by the way you have to buy the correct MG Scura booklet for $20 AUD if you want one" when I asked for the booklet.

Now back to technical: I have sent the shock and forks to be rebuilt with new stanchion tubes, seals etc. The rear shock is to get a hydraulic adjuster new seals, oil, gas etc. The shock technician tells me that the Ohlins need a little more TLC than road shocks but the difference is worth the cost. I really do not know as they never worked from the start.

I am expecting the whole lot back 26 July 06. AND NO, NO, I will not get a GRISO :not: I really like the SCURA.

Thanks for the commentry on Ohlins.

Guest Nogbad

I'm surprised you have had problems with the Ohlins kit. The MG made stuff wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Maybe MG asked Ohlins to supply cheapened "B" grade components?

I work at a Guzzi and Aprilia shop. The Ohlins forks and shock on both start leaking at fairly predictable mileages.

How is it you think they reduced stiction on these components? TiN, sure, but also loose seals. Average seal life is probably 6,000 miles. The Ohlins shock on the back of Billy Bob is a warranty takeoff from a Scura that started leaking after about 5,000 miles. I had it rebuilt and will probably have to have it done again in about that many miles because I ride a lot of dirt roads, which is a very harsh environment for seals.

The real Ohlins oi is also very expensive, about $60 a quart.

Ohlins work great but the maintenance costs are high . . .

So, who wants to get out from underneath their high-maintenance Ohlins forks?

I change oil pretty often...everytime I put in new seals!

I usually end up changing my brake pads as often as I change my oil and seals. Only once have I managed to notice the seal failing prior to fouling my brake pads. It's these extra items which really makes these forks expensive to maintain.

johnk

Im wif yoo marn.

Freidum too the Toorists!

Lett Gwantomonno go!

powwer to the richus wuns!

Powor too thuh emumees of thu Staat!

Moar cumfterble bentches in Guldun Gaat Paurk!

Sav the Wales!

muar mefodan kliniks!

Maor penusilurrene!

Freee Mooomeeeah Aboooojuhmalll!

Moar baff howses in the Tendurloin!

Freee needles!

moar soop kichens!

:rasta:

:lol::lol: