Why don't stunters

Tom M

Do pro stunters do something to their bikes to prevent oil pickup problems? I've seen the videos of these guys riding wheelies for miles, doing 100 yard stoppies, etc. on lots of different brand bikes. It sure seems like they would have to do something special to keep their motors healthy. A quick google search didn't turn up much info.

Here's a great stunt video of Chrisian Pfieffer from '03. There used to be a better version out there but I couldn't find it. How does he keep that Duc alive?

http://www.bofunk.com/video/2397/christian_pfeiffer.html

Do pro stunters do something to their bikes to prevent oil pickup problems? I've seen the videos of these guys riding wheelies for miles, doing 100 yard stoppies, etc. on lots of different brand bikes. It sure seems like they would have to do something special to keep their motors healthy. A quick google search didn't turn up much info.

Here's a great stunt video of Chrisian Pfieffer from '03. There used to be a better version out there but I couldn't find it. How does he keep that Duc alive?

http://www.bofunk.com/video/2397/christian_pfeiffer.html

Simple, their stupidity stunting destroys their bike before the oil starvation can. :P

I agree with Slug! I dont think most of those stunt bikes have a very long life before they get wrecked or the transmission/engine gets blown from abuse. I'm really surprised that people will spend so much money on a bike & treat it that way. The wheelies probably dont hurt the bikes much but some of those other stunts cant be good.

The acceleration of modern bikes forces oil towards the back of the engine the same way a wheely does. Modern bikes are designed to have the oiling system work under hard acceleration so prolonged wheelies do not normally present problems.

As to the wear and tear on their bikes I think you will find that most of these stunters have lots of money to spare and the professional riders likely don't even own the bikes. They have sponsors provide them.

I think you'll find that the real pro's do have pick-up modifications on some of their bikes.

pete

Don't most of these guys ride I-4 motors? The case is narrow front to back, so there can't be that much "slop" under a wheelie or stoppie, because it has no where to go. If you could corner sufficiently hard without a coresponding lean to the bike, I bet you could slop it sideways, but since the bike has to lean to turn, that is not a problem, either. It's just that great big pan routed north/south that allows for so much movement of the oil.

That guy must have a huge sprocket I've heard makes it much easier to do mamoth wheelies but gives your topend huge shortcomings. Would still be fun but I bet that guy could wheelie a plate of speghetti :lol: Makes me want the Superduke tho not a duc, :huh2: That LC8 just seems like the perfect wrongway mounted twin powerplant. :food: