Blowing fuses

slug

By no means accurate... I've left out things like a high I low V circuit has a low resistance, which is increased by terminal decay, leading to lower current and therefore power, but I figured some tool would require in depth analysis when I simply wanted to show how much a little resistance in a high I circuit creates significant heat.

My numbers are certainly not by any means definite, but I tried to illustrate the worst case example.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The heat is no doubt resistance related. Also, when I was melting the fuse in my main block, one of you suggested that once the terminals have heated up like that, they will probably never stay crimped well. I believe that is true, sop I must assume my new, outboard fuse holder is munted now.

I'm using an infrared temp reader to assess the ranges and location of the heat. I'll try to check a few other fuses at the South'n Spine Raid this weekend.

...one of you suggested that once the terminals have heated up like that, they will probably never stay crimped well. I believe that is true....

That was me, when I remember right.

@ryan

You've got me wrong, I'm afraid. I totaly agree with what you've written. And to make clear what 60 Watts mean, some might not have thought about such things, just touch a "burning" 60 Watt bulb.

It's much less probably, 60 Watts could melt down the whole fuse holder I guess.

Hubert

Yeah it's good that you made the correlation to the 60W bulb - everybody can relate to that. The important thing is to note that even at 100 milliohms you have significant heat.

cheers!

Are you sure about that? 100 milliohms is 0.100 ohm......