Which is the best V11 LeMans?

geshaghi

I have been obsessing over a V11 Le Mans and decided I must have one. I have begun the search for a reasonably priced previously loved bike, but need help deciding what to buy. I know there were some issues with case finish on the '02, but were there any significant differences between the 02, 03 and 04? Any ideas on where to look for info, or generally on what the differences are in the available model years, is greatly appreciated. Thoughts on price are also welcome. I'm in the LA area, and I thought there was an authorized dealer in WLA/Marina, but I can't seem to find them. Did they give up the franchise? Any LA area MG owners if you can provide tips on service availablity, also much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome! Guzzi fever is a good illness to have.

Case issues aside, there's no huge difference between those years. The biggest one I know of is that the '04 (or late '03?) models have a crossover pipe in front of the engine. I think the gauge colors changed from white to black in '04 and the adjusters on the Marzocchi forks changed.

As for things to look for / ask about:

• Shift return boss/spring upgrade or replacement.
  • Relays replaced? Preferred brand is GEI.
  • Rear wheel bearing spacer replaced? (Some are too short and can cause bearing failure)

That's what I have off the top of my head, I'm sure others will chime in!

:D

I'd say to go for the Ohlins suspension Goose. Otherwise try to find the Lemans with the most aftermarket goodies. Usually its way cheaper to buy a bike that already has the goodies already attached. If you buy one with around or over 10k miles most of the issues will probably have already been sorted out. Dont be afraid of a Guzzi with some extra miles on it.

tennia.jpg :mg: Hi all, this is my opinion, on my Tenni I have now 22k kilometers and the look and sound is like a new one. For a Guzzi with all regular service 10k kilometers is like nothing. Anyway the best Le Mans is the Tenni :grin: The only thing is " Buy a V11 and enjoy this" #60 :helmet:

Buy a V11 with some sorrt of guarantee, then read everything on here veeerry carefully. Then go back to the dealer waving the guarantee and shouting loudly and authoritatively: it'll make you feel much better; the Guzzi will probably be fine, anyway.

And what the others said.

Thanks for the help/advice. I'm leaning towards a Rosso Corsa, but the red/grey paint scheme of the 2002 model is something I find very attractive....

Go for the latest model you can find, travel to get it. The later models ('03,'04's) have better build quality and less chance for the earlier problem areas (relays, paint, instruments, external fuel pumps, bearing spacer issues, shift spring, speedometer cable, ahhh anything else?) to arise.

Hunt, watch ebay, watch this site, trader online, network - they pop up. :2c:

Thanks for the help/advice. I'm leaning towards a Rosso Corsa, but the red/grey paint scheme of the 2002 model is something I find very attractive....

Personally I would avoid the 2002 because of the flat black crinkle engine paint. I agree the red/grey 02 paint scheme is really attractive. Get an 03 or 04. When I was shopping and deciding on mine I definitely concluded that the 04 was the best. There is a very nice 04 Lemans with the soft bags in Southern California for $8500.00. I saw it on cycletrader online. Also, take a look at my 04 red/black Lemans in the classified section. I have come down $500.00 but haven't been able to edit my ad for some technical reason. I am in Salem, Or. and would be willing to help with delivery. My bike is reasonably priced and is in very nice condition. Take a look. I have more pictures if you want me to email them to you. Good luck!

2004 LeMans for sale

I can confirm that Rocketman's bike is as nice as they come—clean, well-cared-for, and with none but tasteful and useful modifications/additions.

I would already have it, if I didn't have Billy Bob. Still, it's tempting, just because it's so beautiful, and because I believe I would be happier on a V11 that offers more wind protection than Billy's wee shield does.

I've got a beautiful 1967 V700 to trade, Rocketman. Or, I've got all the stuff to make another disc-brake, footboard-model Super Eldo to trade. Now that's a machine that's comfortable and can eat the miles. It can also be ridden very fast, if the pilot knows how to make it do his bidding.

Or call Dave at Moto I. We have one EV left. LeMans models sell readily enough, so he'd probably be interested in the trade . . .