kill switch redux

motogruvi

'03 lemans, 6K, strong battery.

on an occasion or two i discovered that in order to start my guzzi became necessary to toggle the kill switch through a cycle. always worked...until this morning. twisting bars, rotating the switch assembly, pulling in the clutch, checking the side stand all went for nought. at this point my best guess is the kill switch has given up the ghost. if indeed this is the culprit does anyone see any dangers in disabling the switch? if not, any advice on how to go about this? any troubleshooting insights are welcome.

I havent had either a kill switch or a sidestand switch for over a year now.Both started playing up,so I disconnected them and joined the wires of each together at the frame.No problem.

If I'm stupid enough to ride off with the stand down,that's my affair,and no-one elses.If it'll keep you awake at night worrying,get a new kill switch.It should be easy enough to fit something reliable off a jap bike.

I think kill switches made alot more sense back in the day when the ignition key was under the tank or somewhere non-accessible when laying on its side after an accident.

What are the chances you can't reach the key, but can reach the kill switch!?!

Go ahead an bypass it.

Mine has begun playing up too. But I'm dead sure its the spaghetti beneath the tank, not the switch. Ripping it apart while having a beer on saturday.

BTW: I had the strangely satisfying pleasure of watching a sweating Duc 916 rider frying his starter yesterday. He tride it all but the bastard wouldnt start. Not strange really since his kill switch was in, the main light was on, the stand was out and he didnt pull in the clutch. Thats four out of four. Impressive. 250 bikers watched.....The guys mate tried after a while, and it started momentarily on the button....

I think kill switches made alot more sense back in the day when the ignition key was under the tank or somewhere non-accessible when laying on its side after an accident.

What are the chances you can't reach the key, but can reach the kill switch!?!

Go ahead an bypass it.

I've got to disagree with you on this one. :( and maybe give a bit of a warning to anyone who is thinking of running without a kill switch.

The Centauro I recently bought had been standing in a garage for over 4 years and although I serviced and cleaned the hell out of it - including running a couple of tankfulls of injector cleaner through it to make sure all was well - I didn't think to strip out the throttle bodies, simply because there was no indication of any problems whatsoever.

On the run down to the Trofeo Rosso in July I was leading our small group and waiting in line for an overtaking opportunity on one of those 'two lanes one way and one the other' D roads which alternate the priority every couple of lilometers so no-one gets too frustrated. When we hit the two lane section I hit the throttle and the engine hit the rev limiter for a quick upward change.............only thing was it didn't come back down :homer:

Believe me, with a very rapidly approaching bend coming up you don't have time to start reaching around for keys to switch off - I only just about made it to the kill switch and brakes before it was time for a hospital visit. My advice to anyone thinking of disabling or removing the kill switch is DONT. If you are likely to need it there is a good chance that you're going to need it in a hurry and you won't get a secong chance.

Of course each to their own but give it some thought.

Graham

Guest Gary Cheek

Check the microswitch on the clutch lever. I had to replace mine. An easy, no test equipment test is to simply bypass the switch terminals with a piece of wire .

Mine has begun playing up too. But I'm dead sure its the spaghetti beneath the tank, not the switch. Ripping it apart while having a beer on saturday.

BTW: I had the strangely satisfying pleasure of watching a sweating Duc 916 rider frying his starter yesterday. He tride it all but the bastard wouldnt start. Not strange really since his kill switch was in, the main light was on, the stand was out and he didnt pull in the clutch. Thats four out of four. Impressive. 250 bikers watched.....The guys mate tried after a while, and it started momentarily on the button....

Having had the same problem with the starter switch, I would have to disagree. I replaced the right hand switch gear and have had no trouble since.

I've got to disagree with you on this one. :( and maybe give a bit of a warning to anyone who is thinking of running without a kill switch.

The Centauro I recently bought had been standing in a garage for over 4 years and although I serviced and cleaned the hell out of it - including running a couple of tankfulls of injector cleaner through it to make sure all was well - I didn't think to strip out the throttle bodies, simply because there was no indication of any problems whatsoever.

On the run down to the Trofeo Rosso in July I was leading our small group and waiting in line for an overtaking opportunity on one of those 'two lanes one way and one the other' D roads which alternate the priority every couple of lilometers so no-one gets too frustrated. When we hit the two lane section I hit the throttle and the engine hit the rev limiter for a quick upward change.............only thing was it didn't come back down :homer:

Believe me, with a very rapidly approaching bend coming up you don't have time to start reaching around for keys to switch off - I only just about made it to the kill switch and brakes before it was time for a hospital visit. My advice to anyone thinking of disabling or removing the kill switch is DONT. If you are likely to need it there is a good chance that you're going to need it in a hurry and you won't get a secong chance.

Of course each to their own but give it some thought.

Graham

Shheeesh, I can see why you appreciate the kill switch.

FWIW just a reminder, if you pull in the clutch on our wonderful fuel injected bikes, the rev limiter should keep the valves from colliding with the pistons.

Yesterday my buddy's pickup just had the brakes go out on him....luckily he pumped and stopped in time.

Kind of makes me appreciate the motorcycle having two ways of activating the brakes :bier:

He got a new master cylinder today....I hope it really fixes the problem :huh2:

I havent had either a kill switch or a sidestand switch for over a year now.Both started playing up,so I disconnected them and joined the wires of each together at the frame.No problem.

If I'm stupid enough to ride off with the stand down,that's my affair,and no-one elses.If it'll keep you awake at night worrying,get a new kill switch.It should be easy enough to fit something reliable off a jap bike.

i am interested in the steps you took when disabling the kill switch. i just want to be sure that i don't screw up the electrics.

Well,it was about a year ago,but from memory.......

Follow the wires from where they leave the switch to where they go under the tank.Take off the tank,cut the wires and join them.Take out the screws holding the switch together,find the wires at the kill switch,cut them off and put the switch back together.Dont tighten the screws too tight cos it can distort the switch housing and your starter button can stick in.Remove the old wire and keep for posterity.You should always have a piece of wire in your toolbox.Even if you never use it.

Well,it was about a year ago,but from memory.......

Follow the wires from where they leave the switch to where they go under the tank.Take off the tank,cut the wires and join them.Take out the screws holding the switch together,find the wires at the kill switch,cut them off and put the switch back together.Dont tighten the screws too tight cos it can distort the switch housing and your starter button can stick in.Remove the old wire and keep for posterity.You should always have a piece of wire in your toolbox.Even if you never use it.

thanks. i thought it was pretty straightforward but it is always better to ask someone who has been there and knows the glitches.