V11 vs Buell Firebolt 2 up

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

So, with the youngest child finally old enough to spend an entire long weekend at camp, some shared biking experience was overdue:

"So then dear, which one should we take out?"

"The new blue one" (Buell)

"It has a reputation for discomfort and will probably make your bum and knees hurt"

"No matter, let's try it and come home if it gets too uncomfortable"

"Well, ok then its your decision"

In fact, we survived the entire tankful, and I think I was more saddle sore than her. Even the half mile dirt track up to a friend's farm was ok, the suspension handling it with aplomb without bone jarring harshness, and the handling remained essentially neutral. Downside - no grab handle so I had to be careful not to eject the poor woman when accelerating.

"Right, today we are taking the V11 because it should be a better 2 up bike"

"OK"

Not. Firstly, the fuelling is snatchy, and that combined with the sloppy gearbox and driveline lash makes it hard not to shake your pillion. You just don't notice how bad and inconsistent the throttle response is until you ride 2 up and try to change gear imperceptibly. On the Buell I can produce perfect slurred changes that she can't feel at all. Secondly, the suspension is BAAAD, OK I now accept 100% Ratchet's verdict on the rear shock. The bike goes front light and feels vague as hell in the bends. Worse than that, she felt every ripple and pothole.

So seizing the moment on our return:

"The suspension MUST be done, and a new progressive shock can be fitted for about £400, your comfort matters"

"Does your friend Pete still want to buy the V11?"

"WHAAT!"

"Well, you already have a sportsbike, why not sell him the Guzzi and buy a comfortable touring bike to complement the Buell?"

"Is it that bad?"

"Yes. Take me on the Buell next time, it vibrates hardly at all and what there is is pleasant, it's much less jarring on the bum and I don't have the exhausts vibrating my toes off. And another thing, it doesn't give me whiplash"

Hmmmm. Food for thought.

I can't believe what I'm hearing, if I get this right you better be selling the V11 to get a norgay, this can't be true, I won't believe it I won't, I thought noggy would be one of the last out of the fold :huh:

On the other hand I am trying to get my buddy to buy a firebolt, I keep thinking of getting a cityx or waiting for a dirt cheap buell dirtbike(ulysses) to play with.

Guest Nogbad

I can't believe what I'm hearing, if I get this right you better be selling the V11 to get a norgay, this can't be true, I won't believe it I won't, I thought noggy would be one of the last out of the fold :huh:

I am kind of wondering whether a Cali or a Norge might work, on the other hand I could look at an H-D or even a BMW or Honda. I have said that the V11 is coming up to needing a service, and that could explain a lot of the snatchiness and vibes if the TB's are out, but no, she sees the Firebolt as the comfy option, and if that is true, where does that leave the V11? Personally I like the V11 as a distance bike but I guess something with luggage and a more upright position might be better.

Dunno, this was entirely unexpected. My son prefers the back of the V11 to the Firebolt anyday, but he is tall and finds the Buell too cramped. My wife is small and can use one arm to brace against the tank on the Buell, the V11 is too far a stretch. Even though I have a grabrail on it.

On the other hand I am trying to get my buddy to buy a firebolt, I keep thinking of getting a cityx or waiting for a dirt cheap buell dirtbike(ulysses) to play with.

The Firebolt is the best of the bunch. The Lightnings are ok, very supermoto'ish but tiring to ride fast. It is a very good bike in my opinion. Lots of character without the downsides of that. I don't think the Uly is really true to the concept at all, seems like Erik might have been tasked by the Motor Company to come up with a GS competitor. Good try, close, but no cigar. Maybe the revised model will be better, and you will indeed be able to get a cheap Mk one.

So,now you're listening to a woman telling you what to ride? :o

Jeez Nog,slippery slope there! :D

It shouldn't be snatchy,tho.Give it a good service,pamper it a bit.I've often got Jo on the Guz and she's had lifts on the back of a good few of the mates bikes and she'll take the V11 any day.She says it's the only one that feels and sounds like a proper motorbike,and no,she's not the type to ingratiate.(she spent most of her life in Oz,has the frank honesty that most Aussies are known for)

Next time,tell herself to bring the car,go solo. :bike::P

Oh, boy -- here we go.

I've been riding the V11 a bit more than the Buell lately -- mostly because I think it (the V11) is the sexiest bike on the road -- period. Great motor -- stable -- lovely.

Went down to the garage Sunday morning to fire up the Guzzi -- and she wouldn't. Battery said goodbye.

Wheel her back in and wheel out the Firebolt, which has not been ridden in a month or so (weather has been brutally hot and the V11 has been the "it" bike of the Summer). The 'Bolt fires up right away, and away we go...

It is, for my smallish (5'8" 165 lb.) frame a MUCH more comfortable bike than the V11. Not near the reach to the bars and easier to flog because of its short length, light weight, and intelligent design.

In the opinion of both myself and a decidedly non-technical redhead of the fairer sex, both these bikes stink two-up.

The Ducati Paso is PERFECT as a two-up bike, and that is why I keep it.

October will mark my first full year of Buell ownership, and I intend to write the comparo to end all comparos about the V11 "vs" the Firebolt.

Enough about bikes, it's time to see what's going on in the living room...

nude_pin_up_girls_11.jpg

Guest Nogbad

So,now you're listening to a woman telling you what to ride? :o

Jeez Nog,slippery slope there! :D

:doh: She's a good woman though. I was just surprised that the Buell came out so comprehensively on top. I think to solve this problem I would need a My15M, new shock, new spring, new seat and all that would set me back a LOT of $$$$

I don't blame you Noggy, I know deep down you'll always have a soft spot for a goose, But the for all out touring in style nothing beats a HD and for touring with all out reliability and every techy doo-dad you can think of or would ever want nothing beats a honda(goldwinger) and if you want some character as in not a harley then BMW's do just fine. I have Bike ADD and can only afford 2 bikes but my list of "second" bikes is so long and I only have so much $$$$ and so little time I can't decide to save my life, ktm supaduke, apirlia tuono, MV Agusta 750, Harley Street bob, BMW 1200GS, Buell CityX(smallish tho, I'm 6'3") I was almost talked into a Ducati 999 but the insurance and more importantly matience would put me in the poor house whats a brotha to do? :huh2:

I suppose I really couldn't go wrong with another :mg:

I like the Griso 850, I wonder if any will ever make it to the states? I haven't heard a price or destinations for these better looking less vibey faster revving griso's.

there's another option. use smooth tecniques for persuasion, teach her how to drive and buy her something small, nimble, red and noisy. she'll just love it, as my wife do. more fun on the long trips for each one and you can buy yourself whatever bike you want.

Guest Nogbad

October will mark my first full year of Buell ownership, and I intend to write the comparo to end all comparos about the V11 "vs" the Firebolt.

I await this with interest.....

:2c: vibrates hardly at all??? not from my experience. :P

So, with the youngest child finally old enough to spend an entire long weekend at camp, some shared biking experience was overdue:

"So then dear, which one should we take out?"

"The new blue one" (Buell)

"It has a reputation for discomfort and will probably make your bum and knees hurt"

"No matter, let's try it and come home if it gets too uncomfortable"

"Well, ok then its your decision"

In fact, we survived the entire tankful, and I think I was more saddle sore than her. Even the half mile dirt track up to a friend's farm was ok, the suspension handling it with aplomb without bone jarring harshness, and the handling remained essentially neutral. Downside - no grab handle so I had to be careful not to eject the poor woman when accelerating.

"Right, today we are taking the V11 because it should be a better 2 up bike"

"OK"

Not. Firstly, the fuelling is snatchy, and that combined with the sloppy gearbox and driveline lash makes it hard not to shake your pillion. You just don't notice how bad and inconsistent the throttle response is until you ride 2 up and try to change gear imperceptibly. On the Buell I can produce perfect slurred changes that she can't feel at all. Secondly, the suspension is BAAAD, OK I now accept 100% Ratchet's verdict on the rear shock. The bike goes front light and feels vague as hell in the bends. Worse than that, she felt every ripple and pothole.

So seizing the moment on our return:

"The suspension MUST be done, and a new progressive shock can be fitted for about £400, your comfort matters"

"Does your friend Pete still want to buy the V11?"

"WHAAT!"

"Well, you already have a sportsbike, why not sell him the Guzzi and buy a comfortable touring bike to complement the Buell?"

"Is it that bad?"

"Yes. Take me on the Buell next time, it vibrates hardly at all and what there is is pleasant, it's much less jarring on the bum and I don't have the exhausts vibrating my toes off. And another thing, it doesn't give me whiplash"

Hmmmm. Food for thought.

:doh: She's a good woman though. I was just surprised that the Buell came out so comprehensively on top. I think to solve this problem I would need a My15M, new shock, new spring, new seat and all that would set me back a LOT of $$$$

One must take into consideration you are comparing an older V11 with a fairly new Buell. I personally find the Buell rather small, and uncomforatable. My wife and I went to a rally with the Rosso Corsa (not the best Two up machine) and I was surprised at how well the bike handled with two people and fully loaded with gear. A quick adjustment of the Ohlins rear shock and we were taking the twisties at 80mph, I was quite impressed! Equally impressive was my wifes reaction that the RC was more comfortable than other bikes i have owned, granted the seat is stock and not that good but other than that its not a horrible two up bike.

waspp

Guest Nogbad

Take her for a ride on a Breva 1100, it will do everything the Lemans will do and it's a good two up bike.

Yeah. I don't want to leave Guzzi. What about getting a new shock to replace the frankly shite Sacks? Maybe the My15M will smooth out the driveability.

:2c: vibrates hardly at all??? not from my experience. :P

The Buell really doesn't vibrate unpleasantly at all. At low and midrange speeds you honestly can't feel the engine until you work it hard. Lug it below 1500 to 2000 rpm and you exceed the amplitude range of the engine mounts so you feel it then, and also right at the top end the freqency response of the mounts doesn't match the engine vibes as closely. For the most part of the normal street riding rev range though the thing IS substantially vibration free.

Properly set up Erik's Uniplanar isolation works a treat. It is a work of genius. :)

Even though I have a grabrail on it.

I lost you somewhere. Is the gerbil on the V.11 or the other bike?