What's your garage or shop look like?

pShenk

well,...

Wow. And that stuff on the walls, is that 'aluminum siding' like we hear about in the movies?

Todd's workshop is nice and airy, but why are the cars all so small?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B, that's vinyl siding you're talking about....wich btw is absolute crap....

no, it's actually standing seam metal roofing, pretty common around here....it's galvanized sheets...the roofing contractor was hesitant about installing vertically, cause he had never done it before... but it was no big deal, it worked out great....the building is pretty straight forward....conc slab, framed in wood w/ 2x6's, insulated, drywall interior, plywood sheating exterior, wrap in tyvek and skinned in galvanized mtl roofing... :thumbsup:

it's actually pretty cool inside, the mtl siding is not a contributing factor to the temp inside, besides it's tall enough that any hot air stays up on top...it also has clrstory operable windows all along the tall side...just in case.

05-18-04-images002.jpg

(it's actually two) you lease one and put your stuff in the other, it pays itself! :D actually i'm leasing both, the one with my stuff in it is occupied with another guy who has a 748,....

That sounds really cool. So, to be clear, there are two of these structures on that one lot? One that is live only, and the other that is bike shop/storage + someone living there? And this whole operation pays for itself? Very interesting...

If land wasn't so expensive out here, that sounds pretty good. Still, might worth looking into.

that's right, there's two twin blngs on one lot, the other one is leased as storage for a cartographer right now, but it's set up so you could live in it if you wanted to....

I lived on the east bay (Alameda) a while back, and i know...stuff is crazy expensive out there! what i could think of doing is, buying a tiny piece of land out there by sebastopol or something like that, were you could build one of those things....keep the bike there, so when friday afnoon comes along you drive there, spend the night and early sat you go out and ride the wine country all day, you could ride all that extra time you would use just for commuting there!...you know the roads...they make the tx hillcountry look like kansas :lol: then on sunday afnoon you just drive back home.

ideally, i'll get some other bike buddy or buddys who would be interested on going in / investing with you... if you were to rent it, the same, there's always some motorcycle nut like us who will be interested in living there, plus it'll take care of the propierty and the bike/s...

I lived on the east bay (Alameda) a while back, and i know...stuff is crazy expensive out there! what i could think of doing is, buying a tiny piece of land out there by sebastopol or something like that, were you could build one of those things....keep the bike there, so when friday afnoon comes along you drive there, spend the night and early sat you go out and ride the wine country all day, you could ride all that extra time you would use just for commuting there!...you know the roads...they make the tx hillcountry look like kansas :lol: then on sunday afnoon you just drive back home.

lol, I doubt my wife would like that. That's the main issue actually, my wrenching time is usually in the evenings, or on the weekend, between more domestic activities. I can't be taking off to some bachelor pad for a weekend of biking. :huh2: Anyway, my shop is looking pretty good compared to some of the others here. I think I just need to get it set up better.

ideally, i'll get some other bike buddy or buddys who would be interested on going in / investing with you... if you were to rent it, the same, there's always some motorcycle nut like us who will be interested in living there, plus it'll take care of the propierty and the bike/s...

Yeah, in fact my buddy that races AMA has been talking about just that. I don't know if that's financially feasible or not though. The thought was to get some warehouse space in the City, maybe lease out shop space to other bikers. Who knows... it's kind of pie in the sky thinking right now. What would be REALLY cool would be to get one of these dock warehouses here in San Francisco. Hell, we'd only need a small part of one. Nothing would beat hanging out working on bikes, drinking beer and looking out over the bay. It would sound awesome rumbling through the big open space also, with some free-flowing twins. Anybody got about 10 million to drop?

See http://snipurl.com/w0sc

Now, if could only wrench as well as most folks here ... sigh. :luigi:

Bill, that's a GREAT garage! :drink: Something like that is almost doable for me, just scaled down a little. Where did you get that lift? Do you like it? Can you remove the bike's wheels when it's up like that?

The urinal is a nice touch, although a little distrubing just out in the opening like that. :huh:

Greetings all-

Here's a glimpse into my humble workshop...

shopl.jpg

shopr.jpg

Shame it's now 2000+ miles from me. Note the two 2004 Guzzi lineup posters, and the 1973 MGB convertible turned on its side to save floor space! :grin:

Unfortunately it's not attached to my house, but at 6 miles drive it's convienent enough to be able to head over there for storage / fixing, plus it gets me out of the house.

These two images show the full width and about half the length. I will say that it's advantageous to have that kind of space for tinkering, as there I attempt stuff I never would have dreamed to think of at home... :luigi:

(And yes, I do have a lot of cleaning to do! :D )

Beuphonium, that's actually more of what I was expecting to see when I started asking. Looks like a real "serious" tinkerer's operation.

I can't get over the variety of workshops, and I really feel for the European guys with such little space. Kind of makes y'all want to go settle a big country eh? :grin::thumbsup:

The ironic thing is that we have the space, but we mostly end up buying and riding the bikes from the small countries.

and I really feel for the European guys with such little space.

Well yes, but just because I was moaning doesn't mean that there isn't some high-class garage space out there in Europe. Paul omitted to show his inner sanctum workshop when he posted above. In there, he makes sweet music with his Guzzi, as you can see.

I mean, mass produced posters of old MG line-ups are one thing, but lavishing 'real art' on your Guzzi ––– well, that's the European sensibility.

DSC00930.JPG

See http://snipurl.com/w0sc

Now, if could only wrench as well as most folks here ... sigh. :luigi:

One thing at a time. For you, Bill Hagan, DIY starts here –

harley-c.gif