New ride

soloNH

It's time to add to the stable. My Scrua girl is getting lonely. :(

I've decided to purchase a cruiser type bike next spring.

I want it to be just for cruising. Don't need massive power.

Comfortable ergos., saddlebags, windshield, etc.

Most importantly I want it to be a Guzzi. :grin:

Love the looks of the old black Eldorado style, reminds me of the old HD Electra Glides.

I would like to get all the modern refinements like disk brakes, EFI, etc.

Will probably purchase used to take advantage of that great MG depreciation. :thumbsup:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No doubt,the bike for you is the new California Vintage,awesome.

It's time to add to the stable. My Scrua girl is getting lonely. :(

I've decided to purchase a cruiser type bike next spring.

I want it to be just for cruising. Don't need massive power.

Comfortable ergos., saddlebags, windshield, etc.

Most importantly I want it to be a Guzzi. :grin:

Love the looks of the old black Eldorado style, reminds me of the old HD Electra Glides.

I would like to get all the modern refinements like disk brakes, EFI, etc.

Will probably purchase used to take advantage of that great MG depreciation. :thumbsup:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

any 98 or newer california would work... avoid the hydro models. the EV11 is considered the top dog (has most ummm...stuff on it :grin: ) the california special sport is sportier version (has footpegs and deferent handlebars). The Jackal and Stone are the same entry level, but you can add the second front brake need to change front stock master cylinder to one for dual brakes they are not linked so more like your Scura vs EV11 or CAL s/s. People that ride multiple bikes that are not all linked, usually don't like the linked brakes because on linked brake bike the foot brake is used as your primary brake and on the Scura it is your front brake. As for me I have 2 bikes with linked and 2 without and at moment they are staying that way. Keep in mind with these bikes you can make them into what ever you want including making them look like v7 sports/LM 1 or retro cafe racer...Keiths stone was done by Mark Etheridge at Moto Guzzi Classics in Long beach, CA...he also made a EV- Eldo for Mike Curtis but Curtis sold it not sure who has it now. Think you can see picure of it in so cal guzzi forum go to members section and click on Mike Curtis "picture" and think there is several pics with a real ambo near it for effect. for me this is best combo a Scura and a California...or two and a Convert, yep that's it! richr :bier:

I am having a great experience with my California. -Even do it has the PI engine- with the Hydraulic valves-, it has been a pleasure. I got it new and now it has a bit pass 10k and to me is a big keeper.

The only real problem is the tip over valve -besides that and the trip meter- nothing really...

Just cruising?

Some pleasent surprises I had due to unexpected perfromance for an all standard bike (I only eleminated the center muffler)... driven right it may become fast, in the right conditions it will wheel a little bit, in both first and second gear.

I would not promote street racing, but couple of weeks ago I found myself together with another motorist showing off in a new shiny Harley. Shortly after we were alone at the HOV lane -long after the evening rush hour-... I knew I had it at about 90mph when i saw the HD's rear suspension struggling while the MG was solid and planted, the MG- ITI speedometer hit the 100 when I passed the HD. The Cali was totally stable and the trottle had way more on hand... :mg: at that point I would have paid the speeding ticket with pleasure, but I was fortunate... (I only get tickes while riding 35 in 30 mph zone).

I has the mg engine look

engine_fornt.jpg

It is great for a siesta too

nap.jpg

Anthro :mg:

I was wondering re the Hydro models - what exactly is the score w/them? Dropped bars encourage speeding, it's hard to just enjoy pottering around. Cali is real cheap at the moment here - plenty grunt from no revs = relaxing - just stick it in top .....& everyone should have a Tonti in the shed!!! They're a great ride. 5 speed box can be got pretty sweet with a bit of care in shimming. Like mgspdrcr says - You can make them into whatever you want - so as they're all basically the same , go for whatever comes up good at the right money. The old bikes are great & imv the new one's never matched the style of the first Tonti Calis...but you do get used to FI & electronics....I'd go for twin disc model or retrofit cos Cali is capable...& there's bound to be the odd occasion....single disc felt underbraked to me....Linked brakes work great, I got the bits to delink my Tonti cos of the swapping bikes...but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it...yet...

KB :sun:

Mark does beautiful work, that's for sure. THIS is the one that I lust after.

The seating position on the stock, modern cruisers just doesn't fit me. Too bad, because they are fun bikes to drive.

If you like Eldorado's, why not just get an Eldorado? Mine's a bit odd, I'll admit, but it goes like stink and is comfy for all day/all night driving.

trusty_steed1.jpg

I was wondering re the Hydro models - what exactly is the score w/them? KB :sun:

Here in the USA they are grinding their cams to a slow death, they recalled them (Hydro models) not 100% sure but the fix was to supply more oil to cam lobes should be ok, but I would still be uneasy getting one. the rub is there are stuff on the hydros that are better than earlier models one main change is the rear swingarm/drive shaft, it allows you to put a wider rear wheel if you choose to, compared to earlier models. also the fork legs use the same bolt pattern on front brake calipers as the brembo superbike (4 pucks per side) calipers if you wish to upgade them plus then add the 19mm radial master cylinder, yeah this is overkill but man do they work!! I rode Todd E aka racerX's Jackal at Buttonwillow racetrack with said brakes plus a slew of other mods that Jackal is awsome! the best part of riding his Jackal at this trackday was all the guys on hypersportbikes asking "that is a cruiser...isn't it?" next phrase was normally "I didn't know those bikes went around corners that good".

If you get an Eldo, get a disc Eldo, 1974 and 1975 models. ANything you'd likely want to do to it, I've done in at least one way, probably two or more, so I can give experienced guidance. It doesn't take much work to make them go, stop, and handle beyond the needs of 90 percent of all riders, all the while still looking like a cool 1970s classic. See the thread on "Anatomy of a Super Eldo" on the WIldguzzi site if you want a glimpse of an Eldo that can hang with the V11s in street riding.

The disc brake eldos do have better stopping power, but the look is not classic. If you want a great, mellow bike to rack up the miles, a 72 eldo is a great bike. Mine has 153K on it, no leaks and is the smoothest, most comfortable bike I've ridden. Not for high speed, at least over 110, but I have shown some other new bikes the rear plate in the local twisties....

Eldors.jpg