Gustafsson Plastics screen on V11 Sport?

rossojoj

After many months of not alot of riding the V11 is finally back on the road :bike: . After a small spill in Oct 05 and numerous problems (oil leaks, right cylinder nto firing etc.) that took until this service to sort out :(

One problem with the original screen (red V11 Sport Ballabio 2004) is of course the nasty vibes at 3500-3900 rpm. This has been eventually cured with some bar-weights (Honda Pan euro/ST1100) and some loc-tite blue on the screen bolts + spring/lockign washers rather than rubber rings.

The final problem remaining is the turbulance above 100kmh (I am 5'7", 170cm) - the small flyscreen seems to have been designed without use of a wind-tunnel - the turbulance is carefully crafted to hit right in the center of the riders visor!

For that it seems a new screen is ordered. I have a friend bringing back two from the US: both from www.bikescreen.com (Gustafsson Plastics).

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?p...GuzziV11SportGF

- 2" higher than stock with 6 holes.

The other is the 6" (!) above stock... should be good for touring?

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?p...oGuzziV11Sport6

I will post pics and review if they get here before winter sets in.

Has anyone else tried these? Did they sort the turbulance problems?

thanks

Jonathan

I hope it works out.

I have a BMW R90S fairing on my Sport. At first, I was looking for better wind protection also, so I ordered a 4" taller screen from Gustaffson, installed it, drove around for 30 minutes and promptly took it off. It was much worse than the stock height. Moral of the story- bigger isn't always better...or....anyone wanna buy a 4" taller screen that fits an S fairing?

Generally speaking, you want to either ride entirely in the "pocket" or have the turbulence hit you about shoulder ht. (which allows you to crouch down behind the screen to get in the pocket when needed, but otherwise allows for better visibility, better cooling [always a consideration here in Lo-Cal So. Cal! ;) ] and generally better looking as well.

You should be looking into a shorter screen, most likely, or investigating the Laminar Lip, which is an added airfoil that helps quiet turbulence. The problem w/ the LL is that sometimes it looks just too dang :nerd: dorky, but it is reportedly very effective.

Alternatively, you can drill some bleed holes near the base of the wind screen, to cut down on the pressure differential between the pocket & the front of the wind screen: this will stabilize the turbulence to some extent, so that it is less severe & easier to live with [this is the basic premise behind the LL, only not as elegant nor controlled.]

From the "FWIW" file: I cut down the windscreen on my '86 Gold Wing by about 6" (20cm?) because when I got it, the screen was so old & scratched that I couldn't see thru it. My modification undertaken solely for visibility benefits to the rider was a complete revelation when I realized that the fluttering turbulence that was now hitting my chest made it more comfortable to ride in the heat and also increased my travel radius because the slight, nagging headache that I tended to develop before [from the turbulence hitting my helmet & rapidly varying air pressure inside it] was no longer contributing to my fatigue level.

So, I'd recommend a mix of remedies, instead of just expecting a taller screen to solve everything.

Best o' luck!

:thumbsup:

I hope it works out.

I have a BMW R90S fairing on my Sport. At first, I was looking for better wind protection also, so I ordered a 4" taller screen from Gustaffson, installed it, drove around for 30 minutes and promptly took it off. It was much worse than the stock height. Moral of the story- bigger isn't always better...or....anyone wanna buy a 4" taller screen that fits an S fairing?

Yeah........I might be interested.

I have an Emgo viper fairing which may be a copy of your R90S model and I`m looking for a taller screen. Pm me with some dimensions, number of holes, etc, pics if possible and also what you`d like to get for it and maybe we can swing a deal.

Thanks

I sure hope it fits. The screen for the V11 Sport came in several versions and each differs in several details from each other and from the screen on the Ballabio. I hope you get lucky, 'cause Gustaffson does not say which fairing this screen fits. Maybe it won't matter if the holes are not drilled?

After many months of not alot of riding the V11 is finally back on the road :bike: . After a small spill in Oct 05 and numerous problems (oil leaks, right cylinder nto firing etc.) that took until this service to sort out :(

One problem with the original screen (red V11 Sport Ballabio 2004) is of course the nasty vibes at 3500-3900 rpm. This has been eventually cured with some bar-weights (Honda Pan euro/ST1100) and some loc-tite blue on the screen bolts + spring/lockign washers rather than rubber rings.

The final problem remaining is the turbulance above 100kmh (I am 5'7", 170cm) - the small flyscreen seems to have been designed without use of a wind-tunnel - the turbulance is carefully crafted to hit right in the center of the riders visor!

For that it seems a new screen is ordered. I have a friend bringing back two from the US: both from www.bikescreen.com (Gustafsson Plastics).

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?p...GuzziV11SportGF

- 2" higher than stock with 6 holes.

The other is the 6" (!) above stock... should be good for touring?

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?p...oGuzziV11Sport6

I will post pics and review if they get here before winter sets in.

Has anyone else tried these? Did they sort the turbulance problems?

thanks

Jonathan

I'm on my second Gustafson windshield. My LeMans has a+5"with SAeng winglets and I really like it. It takes him quite a while to get it to you but he can do what ever you ask. I also had a Gustafson on my Quota and it greatly improved conditions on that bike. If you start drilling holes keep in mind that it takes significant area to equalize pressure. :bike:

Guest goosesport

Gustafsson plastic sucks, period. Just my opinion, ymmv...........

Wick

I had good, quick service for a reasonable price from Gustafsson. What happened to you?

Quota screen holes didn't line up on bike. Had to virtually beat him to get a replacement which was undrilled and the thing was wavy molded and looked like, well, crap. I wound up giving it away to a new Quota owner looking for windshield options on the net. As down on Gustaffson's junk as I am, I am very, very happy with the MRA windshields from Germany as imported by Twisted Throttle. Super high quality plastic parts......

Wick

• 1 month later...

Quota screen holes didn't line up on bike. Had to virtually beat him to get a replacement which was undrilled and the thing was wavy molded and looked like, well, crap. I wound up giving it away to a new Quota owner looking for windshield options on the net. As down on Gustaffson's junk as I am, I am very, very happy with the MRA windshields from Germany as imported by Twisted Throttle. Wick

I found this posting and couldn't believe my eyes when I read it. Leif Gustaffson is one of the most friendly, customer oriented, hard working individuals I have ever met! I have bought several windscreens from him for various bikes and all of them have served me great! He has been making bike windshields in this country since 1978, and in Sweden prior to that. Leif is a hard worked. He works 8 till 5 five days a week and has for over 30 years. Go try and find another windscreen manfacturer/owner that has such commitment... let alone one that makes EVERY screen himself!

Leif is so customer oriented that during my last trip to Biketoberfest in Daytona I visited his shop. He made me a custom windscreen for my Kawasaki on site. In fact he ask me to assit him in the process, and I got to create my windscreen with my own hands. How cool that was!

Upon this visit to his shop I saw windscreens that he had manufactured over 20 years ago & installed on two of his bikes. Even thought they were 20+ years old these screens looked great.

Leif doesn't drill any of his screens because not all bikes are the same, and he showed me various STOCK windscreens where when placed on top of each other their factory holes didn't align.

You obviously must have been having a bad week when you posted these negative statements, or you have some association with Twisted Throttle or MRA.

• 2 months later...

Tracey, Crooz,

Thanks for the info on Saeng and Gustaffson . I've ordered both edging and shield.

My main concern deflecting bugs this spring. I appreciate the clean air I now have with the MRA. No buffeting. Just want to deflect it bit higher.

I know, sports bike and all. I'm fortunate enough to live close to some decent country roads where the bugs are big and plentiful, and my full face is pretty much covered after an hour or so. I hope these mods help a bit.

Followup:

Gustaffson - Wobbly, thin, turbulent - no thanks. Screen cracked when removing. $_ _ + ! Power to those who get good results with this.

SAENG - more turbulent on MRA, not as bad on stock.

Lip - seemed to provide a slightly less turbulent airflow when tucked in but I don't ride bent over that much. And yes, not very attractive.

Lessons learned - for my height ( 5'10" ), risers, helmets, etc., Guzzi and MRA have it right. Clean airflow with a few bugs beats turbulence with bugs. I'll pack an extra face shield or two.