How to go from hero to zero in 3 dyno runs

Guest Huey130

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've come to expect nothing less from you. :rolleyes:

You know, I kinda like Dr. Ratchet. His posts are usually informative, and represent services he has carried out himself. Most of the time presented fairly humbly. I don't always agree, but I respect him.

That other guy though, Mr. Hack, is a self-righteous prick. Constantly talking down to anyone who doesn't see things his way, and then gets a burr in his britches when someone else does the same to him. This guy I don't much care for.

Dr. Ratchet, Mr. Hack. Hard to believe they are the same guy sometimes. :huh2:

Can we go back to the hero portion of this topic and leave the "zero" crap behind?

Rj

:lol:

And I merely suspected he was a Chupacabra changling. :huh2:

...getting back to the topic, did I miss anyone speculating that pushing past red line is a bad thing???

Or is it just me and my guzzichondria that finds it un-wise to rev it that high.

Paranoid as I am, I used tuneboy to knock the rev-limit down a few hundred RPMs, and I am still too timid to push it beyond the redline on the tachometer.

Sure it should be able to handle exceeding Veglia redline and this bearing failure is not the fault of the dyno operator, but it sure does appear to be what pushed this bearing over the edge.

There are few things I don't like about dyno runs.

I am not aiming this at Huey, who I greatly appreciate for bringing this to the forum :bier:

But I would certainly like to hear his comments about my dynophobia.

FWIW I did a tuning link run once and do recommend it to improve the running of the guzzi.

Here is what I fear can damage the bike on a dyno:

1- not watching the tach for red line when revving.

2- not listening for pinging, especially when they dynotest for WOT below 3000 RPM

3- hacking into wires to get tachometer feed.

4- on a guzzi they may not be familiar with when it might overheat.

5- the way a bike shakes on the dyno is not comforting to watch.

:lol:

And I merely suspected he was a Chupacabra changling. :huh2:

...getting back to the topic, did I miss anyone speculating that pushing past red line is a bad thing???

Or is it just me and my guzzichondria that finds it un-wise to rev it that high.

Paranoid as I am, I used tuneboy to knock the rev-limit down a few hundred RPMs, and I am still too timid to push it beyond the redline on the tachometer.

Sure it should be able to handle exceeding Veglia redline and this bearing failure is not the fault of the dyno operator, but it sure does appear to be what pushed this bearing over the edge.

There are few things I don't like about dyno runs.

I am not aiming this at Huey, who I greatly appreciate for bringing this to the forum :beer:

But I would certainly like to hear his comments about my dynophobia.

FWIW I did a tuning link run once and do recommend it to improve the running of the guzzi.

Here is what I fear can damage the bike on a dyno:

1- not watching the tach for red line when revving.

2- not listening for pinging, especially when they dynotest for WOT below 3000 RPM

3- hacking into wires to get tachometer feed.

4- on a guzzi they may not be familiar with when it might overheat.

5- the way a bike shakes on the dyno is not comforting to watch.

Watching a dyno run is torture.

I have bounced off the rev limiter on the Guzzi way too many times to count. It's that addictive, almost two stroky powerband that lives between the yellow and red bits on the tach. Waaaaaaaaahay. It's why I don't want to sell the V11 - despite the inefficient shaft drive and 20 or so bhp less than the Buell, the top end rush is incomparable and capable of scaring even some Jappo plastic crotch rockets. Anyway, I don't really care if I break it because it can always be mended. I call it "having fun".

Damn, I can't bring myselft to do that. I get up to the yellow and that's about it.

Huey, I'd say Paul is about right. I don't know of any oiling issues with the bike in general. It's been working well for about 40 years now. The design on the V11 is kind of sketchy with the pickup as far forward as it is, but a real problem with the pump or galleys is pretty rare (I have heard of the woodruff key shearing on the pump on one bike). Another problem I've heard of is reinstalling the main bearing with the oil galley not matching the source. Not cool.

Look carefully at the bypass valve, and make sure the oil filter is screwed on properly and it should be good to go. If you have the equipment, it would be a good insurance to measure cold and/or hot oil pressure just to satisfy curiosity about the above-mentioned items.

Damn, I can't bring myselft to do that. I get up to the yellow and that's about it.

Put in a good pair of earplugs. Empty your mind of all mechanical and maintenance thoughts. Avoid reading Hatchetracks posts for at least a week beforehand.

Get on your bike on a good day and warm the tyres, then, repeat this mantra:

"This is not my bike, I'm on a test ride" over and over again until you enter Nirvana and really believe it.

Then: Nail the bitch.

Waaaaahhhhaaaaaay really is available between about 6500 rpm and the limiter. Try it, you'll like it.

So - my experience is that MY PARTICULAR V11 is as reliable as any other decent modern motorcycle out there.

Nog:

This is typical. A few bikes suffer most of the problems. The core of most V11 SPorts just keep on ticking

and ticking. Some stuff, such as the instruments and cables and angle drives haven't been so reliable. The late ones, especially, are as good a motorcycle as I know of.

I'm not, and never have said that if you don't fit a sloppage plate your engine will immediately melt into a lump of smoking slag. I'm NOT 'forcing' people to buy them! It's simply a choice that is now open to people.

Basically though, if I owned a 'Broad Sump' model I'd be fitting one because I reckon that spending a small amount of money on such a thing is a worthwhile insurance against torching a crank! Even buying at 'trade' from Italy I can assure you that a V11 crank is NOT a cheap item! I know, I wanted one for a race bike and couldn't afford it!

Pete

I concur with Pete. Many here do not even hesitate to spend huge sums changing the looks of their machine or chasing a horsepower or two that they will seldom use, yet blanch at spending very little or going to an extra ten seconds' worth of trouble to proof their bike against a known hazard.

Like a hose clamp on your filter, this is cheap and proof against a known hazard. I have no financial interest in these plates but think they're a very wise addition to any V11 that still has its broad sump. I'm putting one on Billy Bob tonight in advance of a long Sunday of riding.

Like a hose clamp on your filter, this is cheap and proof against a known hazard. I have no financial interest in these plates but think they're a very wise addition to any V11 that still has its broad sump.

<_ but i bet you own stocks in acme hose clamps>

I guess the dyno can't be blamed- it would have happened on the street eventually anyway.

The motors on our V11s seem to be pretty tough in general- engine failures are probably the least reported fault on this forum.

I have banged mine against the redline countless times on the road, track, drag strip and on hill climbs. It has also done 3 dyno runs with no issues.

Guy :helmet:

A nice picture here, but I don't know what sump he's using:

foto5.jpg

And one question about this oil filter rubbish: Greg, you say you have seen loose oil filters. This may be true, but did they come loose after they've been properly installed in your shop?

You should answer this question. Is it a user fault or a design flaw? Did they really come loose or is there a good chance that they never were correctly tightened?

Hubert

Thanks Paul, but I don't know the difference. Do you have a picture of the internals somewhere? But you mean they use genuine Guzzi parts under such harsh conditions? Hard to believe, isn't it?

They had an engine cut open in the shop in front of the photo room, but I can't remember the pan. I was so fixed for the combustion chamber by some reasons that I completely forgot to have a look at the sump. Pity...

Guest guzzidude1100i

Like a hose clamp on your filter, this is cheap and proof against a known hazard. I have no financial interest in these plates but think they're a very wise addition to any V11 that still has its broad sump. I'm putting one on Billy Bob tonight in advance of a long Sunday of riding.

You mean a hose clamp and safty wire the clamp?

Where can I get one of those plates?

Thanks, Tom :helmet: