Old...Sore...but Still Not Dead

OldButNotDead

Or even particularly maimed...

Here's an encouragement to those of you who don't wear adequate protective gear, or who doubt how much joy it can bring.

I had my first get-off at speed two days ago, and need to say :thumbsup::thumbsup: to the folks at Vanson, who made the garments I was wearing.

After I low sided at ~50 mph, bodyslammed onto my backprotector and helmet, and then slid along on my back, I had time to reflect on how much I was enjoying these items and my perfed leather jacket and pants.

Another satified customer. :blush:

Guest ratchethack

Glad y'er OK, OBND. Chalk up another "save" against road rash & possibly lots worse to Vanson perforated leathers, my own personal choice. And another testimonial for ATGATT. :thumbsup:

I'll confess to not wearing the perf. pants and boots for daily riding -- but always full gear on weekend mountain rides, and regardless of length of ride -- always the fully-armored jacket and ventilated gauntlet gloves. I s'pose I more accurately subscribe to MATGATT (Most all the gear all the time). :blush:

Glad to hear you are still living up to your nickname!

I completely agree. Crashed my Triumph a few years ago, wearing most of the gear. Just jeans instead of proper pants. Everything did its job marvellously and I would have walked away with nothing more than bruising and soreness. But I shattered my kneecap and that can't be fixed as it is cartiledge. My armored pants would heve prevented this.

Now it is ATGATT followed to the letter. Dress for the crash, not the ride.

cheers,

Rj

Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm no angel and ride in jeans if I'm "just out for a toodle". So far I've been lucky. Shattered kneecap doesn't sound like fun, you have my condolences - how was that repaired? I'm grateful for the small mishaps that I get to call "learning experiences".

I'm looking to buy a spark plug cap (preferable red) from someone other than Guzzi and searched the archive, but couldn't find a reference. Anyone have the NGK # and a suggested source?

Shattered kneecap doesn't sound like fun, you have my condolences - how was that repaired?

It wasn't. They said they could cut it open and wire the pieces together but it would never heal together. Would leave a big scar and wouldn't solve anything so it still is as is. After six years there isn't much pain unless I hit the knee against something. Kneeling on the floor is out of the question. Had to quit competitive rowing as I could no longer keep my weight centered and pulled unevenly.

I keep hoping the the modern plastics community will come up with replacements at some point. It would have to be CNC'd for each individual tho'. Like dentists do with replacement teeth and caps. I'm not very hopeful.

Wear the gear. I'm a believer. Hey Hey I'm a believer.

Rj

I'm looking to buy a spark plug cap (preferable red) from someone other than Guzzi and searched the archive, but couldn't find a reference. Anyone have the NGK # and a suggested source?

Try this page http://www.heeters.com/sparkplugs.shtml

I got mine (racing RED NGK -set 1m long) excellent quality wires and plug cups.

A recomended seller as well.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm no angel and ride in jeans if I'm "just out for a toodle". So far I've been lucky. Shattered kneecap doesn't sound like fun, you have my condolences - how was that repaired? I'm grateful for the small mishaps that I get to call "learning experiences".

Mine are champion in red. I bought the end part from MPH.

Glad you're ok OBND :)

I lowsided three weeks ago, and two weeks before that I was out for a ride with a friend and she lowsided w/no protective gear (except for a helmet). After watching someone clean up her wounds & pick out the gravel, I promptly joined the ATGATT club. Thankfully I'm just a broken mess instead of a scabby and more broken mess.

Cheers,

Or even particularly maimed...

Here's an encouragement to those of you who don't wear adequate protective gear, or who doubt how much joy it can bring.

I had my first get-off at speed two days ago, and need to say :thumbsup::thumbsup: to the folks at Vanson, who made the garments I was wearing.

After I low sided at ~50 mph, bodyslammed onto my backprotector and helmet, and then slid along on my back, I had time to reflect on how much I was enjoying these items and my perfed leather jacket and pants.

Another satified customer. :blush:

Just bought a new knox back protector from the local bike shop and was wondering if i could justify it, glad i did now after reading your post OBND. :thumbsup:

I bought my ngk plug wires from MGCYCLE.com. I've bought other things from them with no problems. Nice site with lots of stuff. I'm glad I decided to check out this thread. Its always good to get a reminder of the need to wear safety gear all the time. I always wear the helmet, when its hot outside I often neglect to put on the armor under my jeans. Its easy to wear atgatt now because its cooler & it helps to keep me warm. That shattered kneecap is a very scary sounding thing. Its hard to believe there isnt a prosthetic kneecap available.

Just bought a new knox back protector from the local bike shop and was wondering if i could justify it, glad i did now after reading your post OBND. :thumbsup:

Oh you can SO justify it when you're sliding down the track on your back thinking about how your wife was so worried that you wouldn't be coming home from your trackday that she broke down crying.

Sadly, my greatest joy comes from the fact that I did NOT have to tell my wife that I'm mangled. In fact, I'm so NOT mangled that I didn't feel the need to share the experience with her at all (nor should any of you). Those with non-riding, supportive, but scared-shitless-of-the-motorcycle spouses may understand.

The bike lost a Givi windscreen, both throttle cables, spark plug cap and plug, and the rear brake pedal. Some dents in the bottom of the header, scapes on the valve cover and head, no broken fins. Not so bad, just more expensive than it should be. I think I was careless, drifted too close to an edge and ended up with the rear tire on some crud or actually in the dirt. It lowsided when I pushed it over to move away from the edge. I came off onto the pavement and the bike spun off into the dirt.

Thanks to all with plug cap sources!

The kneecap is not so much the problem. You can have it removed. All it does is protect the joint - which is where the real damage occurs. Overextension, twisting, stretching all damage the ligaments that hold the joint together. 26 years ago gone July and it won't really get much better now. Still very careful with it and it's the one part of my body that I'm constantly aware of. I _really_ don't recommend joint injuries. Given the choice, break your leg.