Its great to be English

Just been out on the usual Friday night pub crawl round town, combined with take away and taxi.

I'm pretty well travelled and have enjoyed my time abroad, but I can't helpbut reflect how lucky we are in England with our pub culture.

Here's a toast to all things English! :drink:

Nice to hear that you had a good evening.

I'm working, directing my collegues, using municipal cctv. Calls from drunken persons. So far a couple of fights. All my cars have ended up arresting people. The cells across the county are approaching full.

A few fights and domestics, just about keeping a lid on it - that was the kiss of death - now spiraling out of control

I'm working, directing my collegues, using municipal cctv. Calls from drunken persons. So far a couple of fights. All my cars have ended up arresting people. The cells across the county are approaching full.

A few fights and domestics, just about keeping a lid on it - that was the kiss of death - now spiraling out of control

Yes I can imagine its not too much fun being in the front line on a Friday night!

As usual, its the minority of idiots spoiling things for everyone else. I was brought up in Winchester, which is an affluent town. But with 60 pubs in the small town centre, an army garrison, and plenty of farm boys coming in from outlying villages, there were literally pitched battles outside the Guildhall often on a weekend night.

Since I have moved to rough and ready Huddersfield which is much more working class, I am yet to see a pub fight in the 5 years I have lived here. Although someone was shot in a pub half a mile away on Sunday night so its not all good.

Guy :helmet:

As a Canadian, from English stock, I too find the English Public House extremely appealing. I've been over 3 times, to visit family [mostly around the St. Ives, Camb. area] , ride to the I.O.M TT fortnight, and to visit noteworthy pubs throughout England.

I'm not a particulary spiritual person, so this occurance at my favourite public house in England really had me gobsmacked. In the village of Holywell, Camb., [where my family name is all over the place] sits the Ferry Boat Inn. It was not until I got back home after this occurance, did I find out how bloody old the place is. I should have noted it right away, with the 5 ft high door, and roof beams that I was hitting my head on.

Anyways, This is the place my grampa hung out at before the war. I sat down in the "rats nest", the lowered section where it seems the respected locals sat. My family estate owned a huge tract of land then that even encompassed two villages, Oldhurst, and my families ground zero, Woodhurst. I booked a room for 3 days at the pub back in '94. And no shitting around, I got a visit. From my grampa. He's been dead 50 yrs, 3 yrs before I was born. I'm very skeptical of things like this. There's some serious power going on in the old country!

Anyways, the last time I visited, the Ferry Boat was a free house, which to those who don't know, means a pub in the UK that is without contract, partnership, or ownership with any of the big breweries. Meaning a free house can offer grog of origin from many different origin, including true real ale, and, scrumpy! I've had many a ladled scrumpy at the Ferry Boat Inn.

As to my best serving of drink in the UK, this is a tough call. But one night, while staying at Theakston's own King's Inn, in Masham, Yorkshire, I was served a pint of their 'Best Bitter', which blew me away. Big words from someone who's lucky to live in the craft brewing capital of North America, the Pacific North West.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I've been lucky to take in many bike nights at houses around the old country, and they are great as you say!

Ciao, Steve G.

I'm working, directing my collegues, using municipal cctv. Calls from drunken persons. ...

You should have come to Mandello recently. Lots of seriously drunken people, from at least 5 nations or more, talking to each other in different languages the whole night and drinking the same beer the whole night. Big pub! The only thrilling 2 minutes I noticed was a drunken Helvetian naming a drunken Austrian a bloody Nazi. That was strange, but probably not first hand booze fueled.

Hubert

You should have come to Mandello recently. Lots of seriously drunken people, from at least 5 nations or more, talking to each other in different languages the whole night and drinking the same beer the whole night. Big pub! The only thrilling 2 minutes I noticed was a drunken Helvetian naming a drunken Austrian a bloody Nazi. That was strange, but probably not first hand booze fueled.

Hubert

Hmmm, sounds like the Erin rally.