Quat box blowing out

belfastguzzi

The loosening top plate on the Quat box has been commented on before :(

I see that the sealing fibre in mine is now well blown out and the plate sits loose with loose rivets, exhaust blowing out through it onto back tyre. Should speed-up tyre warm-up. Ho hum.

What's anyone done for a longer lasting (permanent even) repair solution?

The big flat top of the box makes a superb frying pan, for the continuously leaking gearbox oil. Ho hum.

Still sounds great.

Mine stopped leaking when I put in Redline HS...Did you try it?

KB :sun:

Not yet. It's on one of my many long lists. I did top-up the engine oil today though and was surprised by how much went in, so you were probably right about low level causing the oil light to come on last time. :(

The loosening top plate on the Quat box has been commented on before :(

I see that the sealing fibre in mine is now well blown out and the plate sits loose with loose rivets, exhaust blowing out through it onto back tyre. Should speed-up tyre warm-up. Ho hum.

What's anyone done for a longer lasting (permanent even) repair solution?

The big flat top of the box makes a superb frying pan, for the continuously leaking gearbox oil. Ho hum.

Still sounds great.

I dealt with this when removing the cat from mine. The main bit of "wisdom" I can relate is: do NOT bother to reattach this with aluminum rivets, no matter what their diameter; they will loosen with use. It took me ~ 3 tries to figure this out (fecking eejit) :homer: . Online vendors of marine hardware can supply SS rivets that will do the job.

I bought some "Ultra Seal" gasket HERE , cut it to size and used a punch in my handrill to make holes for the rivets. So far, so good.

I dealt with this when removing the cat from mine. The main bit of "wisdom" I can relate is: do NOT bother to reattach this with aluminum rivets, no matter what their diameter; they will loosen with use. It took me ~ 3 tries to figure this out (fecking eejit) :homer: . Online vendors of marine hardware can supply SS rivets that will do the job.

I bought some "Ultra Seal" gasket HERE , cut it to size and used a punch in my handrill to make holes for the rivets. So far, so good.

Good advice, thanks.

Now that the fibre's all blown out, She's become a real scarey rattle-bucket when sitting in traffic. The 'normal' Scura clackety and the Quat's distinctive blat has been joined by extra poppety and percussive slap as the top plate on the Quat beatbox lifts and drops with each pulse.

Guzzi rap

GguguguzzguGuguzzuzziguzzz i raPp