Air Filter Pods??

jsciullo

Just checking over my 00 - V11 Sport after it stalled on me twice at stop lights. This has been an ongoing issue with the bike. Removed the cannisters, have a PC3 etc... Anyway I noticed the the right air filter pod (I think that is what you call them) is pointing down towards the right cyclender. The left pod almost horizontal pointing to the front of the bike to catch air. Could this downward facing pod, suck up up very hot air from the cyclender at stop and cause the bike to stall? Are the pods supposed to be facing a certain direction?

Jim

Are you talking about the rubber airbox "snorkel" inlets at the ends of the airbox intake runners right above the cylinders?

The "pods" as referred to in regard to the Guzzis are individual K&N filters mounted directly to the throttle-bodies, with the OEM airbox removed.

That being said, AFAIK, the standard/correct installation of the "snorkels" is facing down, maybe slightly rotated out away from the bike. I think the goal of these from MG is to keep water out of the intake.

In practice you can probably rotate these any direction you want with little to no effect, other than verticle that is... as that might gather water :wacko:

Guessing... I don't think the orientation of your "snorkels" has any effect on the hot-stalling condition. It is fairly common with the V11 Sport, and in fact is plaguing my bike currently.

How many miles are on the bike? I ask as there are some that maintain that this tends to go away with higher mileage/break-in. Since I only have about 3000 miles on my bike, I can't verify that theory.

al

Snorkels- thats it. I have 12-13k miles on mine and it all started after my frst dealer service. It would stall all the time. It has gottem progressively better but still happens. Dont know wht to do next except ride it.

Jim

:lol: ...all my troubles started after the first "service" too.

I don't mean to impugne my dealer, but that's when it started. I wonder if the valves got adjusted differently. Who knows.

I've been instructed to just go out and put some miles on it. And I'll do so.

But honestly, that shouldn't have to be the "cure". I'm sure that most buyers expect their bikes to at least idle when new, and not be told that they need to get about 10k miles on them before they really loosen up :rolleyes:

But for you, I would think 13k miles should have been pleny of "loosening up"

*sigh*

I found my dealer's extent of tuning went something like, " it starts, it runs, don't touch it."

A little extra time with the synchronizing has worked wonders. Those electronic synchronizers ( I use mercury) are probably worth their weight.

Fettling the TPS and idle settings will bring you ever closer to that Zen state of Guzzi idle.

Learning to do it yourself is easy and very satisfying. :luigi::luigi::luigi:

Check out the "spitting and Popping "thread.

This requires a digital voltmeter, synchronizing tool and , I prefer, sinlgle malt scotch .

Jim,

I had the same problem after I have my first service done where I purchased my 00 V11Sport (was not at Moto Italiano). The bike died on me three times on the way home. I had the bike running perfect before bringing it in. What I found was the valves were adjusted backwards, meaning the intake valves were looser than spec. and the exhaust were tighter than spec. I readjusted the valves to Raceco specs. and everything was fine. So on the V11Sport, open up the valve lash, you do not have to open them up as much as the Raceco specs. but even at .006 intake and .008 exhaust, you will find the stalling problem will disappear. Also make sure the throttle bodys are in sync. and your idle speed is between 1000 to 1100 rpm.

Good luck,

Mike

:lol: ...and on THAT note, I think we need a step-by-step "How To" on valve adjustment. I know this stuff is on Guzzitech and in Guzziology, but I think these basics should be covered here for those looking.

...again, example photos would be a real plus as well.

Any volunteers for this one too? :P

al