V11 Sport Windshield

mjdoliveira

This is somewhat of a continuation of a previous thread, but got me thinking about some type of wind protection on my 2000 V11 Sport. I've always liked the "naked" look with the sport bars, but eventually got the MPH Cycle risers for reasons obvious to anyone over 40.

Problem is that I rode from LA to Phoenix a while back and eventually had to slow down to about 70mph because my neck could no longer handle the strain of riding into a headwind. I've assumed that with the risers a screen will be tough to find, and I would prefer something small and easy in put on and take off. Anyone had success with this "formula"?

I've got a National Cycle #N2522 shield on my 2000 V11. It's 17" tall, looks and works great. I've got stock bars on now but will probably get some risers, and I think it will work well with them. Check out their website. www.nationalcycle.com. JK

Guest ratchethack

This is somewhat of a continuation of a previous thread, but got me thinking about some type of wind protection on my 2000 V11 Sport. I've always liked the "naked" look with the sport bars, but eventually got the MPH Cycle risers for reasons obvious to anyone over 40.

Problem is that I rode from LA to Phoenix a while back and eventually had to slow down to about 70mph because my neck could no longer handle the strain of riding into a headwind. I've assumed that with the risers a screen will be tough to find, and I would prefer something small and easy in put on and take off. Anyone had success with this "formula"?

Michael, a few observations. I've got the same bike as you, and I've given this some thought.

First off, I'm well past the 40 mark and find the stock bars on my 2000 Sport ideal, especially on long distance rides. But keep in mind, of course this is very much an individual thing. -_- I also consider the stock pegs and seat ideal. Having owned a dozen bikes, I find the overall stock riding position without any question the best of all the bikes I've owned for my purposes. In fact, riding position was one of the major reasons I bought the Sport, knowing what I can and cannot adapt to and find comfortable. I find the forward lean just right to balance against the wind blast that comes over my Stucchi 1/4 fairing. Now was it at least a little uncomfortable at first? Yes. The wrists, neck and knees objected at first, as I knew they would from having owned bikes with similar (but not quite the same) ergo's previously. It took several hundred consecutive miles on several long trips before I became permanently "conditioned". It's been ideal ever since, all traces of the original discomfort are a memory, and I'd never consider changing it. But that's just me. :huh2:

I'm not slamming you here, Michael, and I don't know if this is the case in your situation - but I've seen a large number of guys start hacking away at bars, pegs and fairings at the first sign of discomfort on the first longish ride before allowing themselves time enough and miles enough to adapt. Now I'm sure that the stock riding position is simply unworkable for many riders, even after conditioning. I believe the entire bike is simply a poor fit for some riders, who for a variety of reasons can't adapt. For such as these, we have Lead Wings, ST's, LT's, R's and K's, with plush ergo's and full fairings that more fully envelop and insulate the rider. In many other cases (again, I'm not implying this is true in your case - I simply don't know), I think hacking up a Sport or LeMans variant can be a mistake that starts a rider down an expensive and familiar road: High bars, now a$$ hurts. New custom seat, now legs hurt. Lower pegs, now neck hurts. New fairing, etc. At least in a few cases I'm aware of, this road ends with selling the whole pile of expensive aftermarket stuff with the bike at a huge loss, never having reached a "satisfactory" comfort level. :huh2:

My tendency is to urge guys who're new to the bike to give it time and miles, and then give it some more time and more miles before embarking on the usual ergo-chasing progression of guys who buy sporty looking motorcycles without applicable experience and/or without properly considering ergo's in advance.

Now about the Stucchi 1/4 fairing. By my experience, there are very few 1/4 fairings that do this effectively, but when they do, it's a thing of beauty and a joy forever. :sun: The edge of the wind blast coming over the Stucchi at 80-90 mph hits me in the shoulders and chest with the stock bars. It's not an uneven buffeting, but a steady, smooth, even pressure. The helmet is left entirely in the unaffected "clear" air above the compressed blast off the fairing. I find that this air is also a steady, even pressure that doesn't have to be fought against, like you have to do with the uneven, unpredictable buffeting that spills back off many other 1/4 and 1/2 fairings. From my experience, this "clear" air is "cleaner" and more relaxing to ride in than it would be without the Stucchi below it to smooth it out by compressing the air just below. Now again - this is just me, but if I were to ride my Guzzi with raised bars behind the Stucchi, I think I'd be hatin' life after a half hour at 80 mph - or carrying a medicine cabinet full of pain killers in my tank bag :o - and I ain't into pharmaceuticals. :whistle:

So my overall suggestion is: Mess with it less, adapt, and enjoy it more. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM & YMMV.

Michael, a few observations. I've got the same bike as you, and I've given this some thought.

First off, I'm well past the 40 mark and find the stock bars on my 2000 Sport ideal, especially on long distance rides. But keep in mind, of course this is very much an individual thing. -_- I also consider the stock pegs and seat ideal. Having owned a dozen bikes, I find the overall stock riding position without any question the best of all the bikes I've owned for my purposes. In fact, riding position was one of the major reasons I bought the Sport, knowing what I can and cannot adapt to and find comfortable. I find the forward lean just right to balance against the wind blast that comes over my Stucchi 1/4 fairing. Now was it at least a little uncomfortable at first? Yes. The wrists, neck and knees objected at first, as I knew they would from having owned bikes with similar (but not quite the same) ergo's previously. It took several hundred consecutive miles on several long trips before I became permanently "conditioned". It's been ideal ever since, all traces of the original discomfort are a memory, and I'd never consider changing it. But that's just me. :huh2:

I'm not slamming you here, Michael, and I don't know if this is the case in your situation - but I've seen a large number of guys start hacking away at bars, pegs and fairings at the first sign of discomfort on the first longish ride before allowing themselves time enough and miles enough to adapt. Now I'm sure that the stock riding position is simply unworkable for many riders, even after conditioning. I believe the entire bike is simply a poor fit for some riders, who for a variety of reasons can't adapt. For such as these, we have Lead Wings, ST's, LT's, R's and K's, with plush ergo's and full fairings that more fully envelop and insulate the rider. In many other cases (again, I'm not implying this is true in your case - I simply don't know), I think hacking up a Sport or LeMans variant can be a mistake that starts a rider down an expensive and familiar road: High bars, now a$$ hurts. New custom seat, now legs hurt. Lower pegs, now neck hurts. New fairing, etc. At least in a few cases I'm aware of, this road ends with selling the whole pile of expensive aftermarket stuff with the bike at a huge loss, never having reached a "satisfactory" comfort level. :huh2:

My tendency is to urge guys who're new to the bike to give it time and miles, and then give it some more time and more miles before embarking on the usual ergo-chasing progression of guys who buy sporty looking motorcycles without applicable experience and/or without properly considering ergo's in advance.

Now about the Stucchi 1/4 fairing. By my experience, there are very few 1/4 fairings that do this effectively, but when they do, it's a thing of beauty and a joy forever. :sun: The edge of the wind blast coming over the Stucchi at 80-90 mph hits me in the shoulders and chest with the stock bars. It's not an uneven buffeting, but a steady, smooth, even pressure. The helmet is left entirely in the unaffected "clear" air above the compressed blast off the fairing. I find that this air is also a steady, even pressure that doesn't have to be fought against, like you have to do with the uneven, unpredictable buffeting that spills back off many other 1/4 and 1/2 fairings. From my experience, this "clear" air is "cleaner" and more relaxing to ride in than it would be without the Stucchi below it to smooth it out by compressing the air just below. Now again - this is just me, but if I were to ride my Guzzi with raised bars behind the Stucchi, I think I'd be hatin' life after a half hour at 80 mph - or carrying a medicine cabinet full of pain killers in my tank bag :o - and I ain't into pharmaceuticals. :whistle:

So my overall suggestion is: Mess with it less, adapt, and enjoy it more. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM & YMMV.

Oooh, a couple of these reposponses kinda hurt in a sense (not in an offensive way, but in reminding me of what I had to do) because I remember how tough it was for me to go the way of adding the risers. The problem for me was that 10,000 miles of "conditioning" led to progressively worse wrist trouble, especially as I did a considerable amount of "general purpose" riding (commuting etc) -- maybe it is my size (6'2") or just bad joints. In some sense you feel that you are taking some of the "Sport" out of the bike when you do so. And you are right that at some stage I will need to consider the seat. Still, if these are the adaptations I need to make to ride the bike because my body respond appropriately, better to make them than leave the bike in the garage.

Apologies to the over-40 crowd that do not necessarily share my level of decrepitness.

While I have no direct experience with them, I've seen pictures of V11's with Givi universal windscreens attached. Here's their A750 screen on a Guzzi:

V11SPORTGIVI_3copy.jpg

That pic is from Harper's Moto Guzzi. See http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/windshie.htm Larger screens are available too.

Here's another site with the various models, sizes, pictures and pricing:

http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Accessori...windscreens.htm

I've got a Givi A750 which I can easily install/remove in 5 minutes on my 2001 V11. This is used for long trips that you mention to stop the fatigue. I prefer the look without it, but there's no denying the usefullness the this sort of fairing.

Ciao, Steve G.

I believe a riding position can be tuned to an individual but it is not as easy as it seems. Sitting more upright is putting more wind pressure on your neck. A small shield is not going to do much for that, it may take some pressure from your chest, but likely will just create turbulence from the shoulders up. As Ratchet said, one fix can create another problem. For extended stints at high speed you want to be leaning into the wind. Is it possible to rotate your risers forward for more reach to the bars when taking a long trip, and adjust back to the upright for around town?

I guess eveyone is built a bit different from everyone else. I have been riding unfaired, naked bikes since 1965. Out of 45+ only two had a sheild, plus the pseudo-shield on the Scura. At a very decrepit 56 yrs I find the plain naked Jane 2001 V11 fits like a glove. On long trips an Airhawk seat pad provides just -right seat comfort and unwinds my stumpy legs just enough for 10 hour a day riding. Speeds BELOW 70 are the hardest. At 80>90 MPH it is grrrreat!

Likewise except I started in 1971, am only 55 and have had far less than 45 cycles. I did have to lower the clip-ons though, I like to cruise at around 80 mph and that's about right for where I put the bars. The Airhawk has allowed me to do 600 mile days on the V11 Sport. That's about as far as I care to ride these days anyway.

I'm 6'2 also and did have to do a couple things to my bike to get it "comfy". First was the Givi screen - it works great! Nice pocket to tuck into on the highway, can stick my head in the wind if I want. Second was the pegs. My knees were bent past 90deg with the stockers, made it hard to get up off of the seat when riding hard. Evolusionne used to have the kits but I think they stopped making them... Nice now.

I would like to get the pressure off my wrists a bit (slight riser) and I'd like to get Rich to make the seat a little softer (feels like I'm sitting on a 2x10 plank).

But no great complaints. Done some looong days in the saddle and it was fine. But then, I'm under 40...

cheers,

Rj

I'm 6'2 also and did have to do a couple things to my bike to get it "comfy". First was the Givi screen - it works great! Nice pocket to tuck into on the highway, can stick my head in the wind if I want. Second was the pegs. My knees were bent past 90deg with the stockers, made it hard to get up off of the seat when riding hard. Evolusionne used to have the kits but I think they stopped making them... Nice now.

I would like to get the pressure off my wrists a bit (slight riser) and I'd like to get Rich to make the seat a little softer (feels like I'm sitting on a 2x10 plank).

But no great complaints. Done some looong days in the saddle and it was fine. But then, I'm under 40...

cheers,

Rj

I have to tell you Ryan, my 47 yr old wrists are starting to complain just a tad about the reach to the bars. Have you contemplated any kit out there for the bars? I may be interested in a "package deal" from someone.

Ciao, Steve

Steve - on my list of things to do this winter is to make a set of risers. Try to get the bars up an inch or so. I like the idea of being able to play with it a bit. I've got a full machine shop at my disposal so I'll see what I can come up with. Just rough bits until I find something I like. I'd like to try to keep the stock brake lines.

I have trouble forking out hundreds of dollars for new bars, helibars, risers etc. when I don't know if I'll like them any better.

First I need to get her back up and running. If I can't work out her issues this summer, ergos won't matter much as it will get dumped.

cheers,

Rj

Guest Gary Cheek

Likewise except I started in 1971, am only 55 and have had far less than 45 cycles. I did have to lower the clip-ons though, I like to cruise at around 80 mph and that's about right for where I put the bars. The Airhawk has allowed me to do 600 mile days on the V11 Sport. That's about as far as I care to ride these days anyway.

There are still another 50 or so bikes I hope to own!. As far as the ergonomics,I took a little different approach on the 2001 V11. I raised the legs 18 mm in the trees. Very close to the same result as dropping the bars but it decreased the effective rake and quickened up the steering too. I am thinking about a mod to move the bars a bit forward and uncramp my poor old , worn out from 35 years of hammerforming metal- wrists. The stock set-up is a bit of the wrong angle in this case. Sure miss the versatile swan necks on my old V-7 Sport!