Mistrals to stock

kevdog3019

Hey all,

I am actually thinking of trying the stock pipe on our rather new Lemans. The original owner put the Mistrals on and the latest owner and myself don't know if the bike was re-mapped when that was done. When I bought the bike, I also got the original cans and am wondering if it's an easy off and on, or if I'm going to have to re-map back to original?? Will I lose HP/and how much?

I really don't mind the Mistrals, but I'm just into more subtle sound. I have heard a Lemans with stock pipes and kinda like that subtle V8 sound.

Thanks!

I was told when I put the M4's on mine that I probably didn't need remaping. However, the rest of the intake/ exhaust system is completely stock. Those things may have been altered on your bike too. So, that makes your question a bit hard to answer. As to the work involved, it is pretty quick and simple to swap out the mufflers.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

Hey all,

I am actually thinking of trying the stock pipe on our rather new Lemans. The original owner put the Mistrals on and the latest owner and myself don't know if the bike was re-mapped when that was done. When I bought the bike, I also got the original cans and am wondering if it's an easy off and on, or if I'm going to have to re-map back to original?? Will I lose HP/and how much?

I really don't mind the Mistrals, but I'm just into more subtle sound. I have heard a Lemans with stock pipes and kinda like that subtle V8 sound.

Thanks!

You didn't mention whether your Lemans has a power commander or some other type of programmable ECU. If not then I would guess that no re-mapping was done when the Mistrals were installed so none would be required to go back to the stock exhaust.

After tracking this stie for several months, I predict you'll get an earful. However, you won't know how the swap is until you get into it - and it'll be easy enough to back out if things get messy.

Do the swap, and live with it for awhile. Even if it adds weight and (omigod) reduces horsepower. It may still be easier to live with. Neither pipes will help you judge corner entry speed, and this is far more useful than horsepower for riding "promptly" with a group or alone. After sending a day with older (and way older) Guzzi's at Bodega Bay last Saturday, I got say: Completely clean, stock, bikes are special.

It may be useful to get the experienced wrenches to comment on the benefits of assembly lube in fitting up exhaust. With or without? Come on guys - weigh in here!

Guest Mattress

And in the long term, more valuable.

My habit is copper based anti-sieze grease on any exhaust fastener or fitting.

Wipe off the excess before running, and after the post assembly warm-up.

These bits should not be overtightened once greased. Stainless pipes need a bit of wiggle room or they will eventually crack.

What is an appropriate torque value for slip-on muffler clamps? I think I might have ham fisted mine when I put on the staintunes, but now I have a torque wrench.

What is an appropriate torque value for slip-on muffler clamps? I think I might have ham fisted mine when I put on the staintunes, but now I have a torque wrench.

As your local Guzzi mechanic will tell you - 'bout tha' much mate.....!!!!! :luigi:

The best way to find out is experience - do it up to the tightness you think it should be, back it off a bit and see if it is happy. If it is you'll know how tight to do it next time.

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's a go in the near future. I'm just not a "rumble" kind of guy. Prefer a subtle more refined approach to the Guzzi. Don't care so much about HP either. A twist of the throttle can be fun on this thing!!

Do the swap, and live with it for awhile. Even if it adds weight and (omigod) reduces horsepower. It may still be easier to live with. Neither pipes will help you judge corner entry speed, and this is far more useful than horsepower for riding "promptly" with a group or alone.

I must say, this is a breath of fresh air reading this entry. So true the words above. I'm tired of collecting squids on 150 hp bikes in the corners, only to have them pull the trigger and shoot away in the straights.

Speed preservation in the corners is the best way to improve performance, rather than turning your bike into a money pit.

That said, I do have staintune exhaust, because I love the sound and looks. I really don't care if it increases hp. I have noticed that I no longer touch down the exhaust, so maybe they are set higher, this is a good thing.

Ciao, Steve