WP

Guest Jaap

Guest Jaap

A while ago someone (?) asked me to contact WP suspension to get information on replacement front forks. Well I did, by email. 3 times, no reply at all! :bbblll: So in the 4th email I told them I bought an Ohlins fork :not: and would advise others to do the same... :wacko: So much for the Dutch...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I mailed them that I have WP forks, and wanted a manual, mail back in one day, and a copy of the manual with the post in 2 days. I send a mail to wp@wp.nl, and was awsered by harry@wp.nl.

TLM has new wp forks in stock, upstairs, you can make a deal on them I think. Or you can buy mine, then I buy Ohlins:-)

Hrmm, curious.... well no matter what, I'll be interested to see what the price of a pair of WP forks might be if they ever do get back to you, either directly or through TLM. Especially if they are just a bolt-on affair with no major modification required to fit, etc.. Keep us informed.

I wonder how well they stack up against Ohlins?

BTW, I thought you were also checking into Paoli(sp?) forks as well Jaap?? ...never heard anything.

al

Paoli?? My Ducati friends say "pay-o-la."

Do you think they're really any better than the Marzocchis?

Jaap, I was the one that asked for the WP fork pricing. Thanks for trying. Well I guess that narrows it down on which forks we can use!

On the Ghezzi an Brian site, they offer the Paoli forks but state with slight modifications. What in $#@$# does that mean?

Mike

The slight modifications will be that the front axcle won't fit right away maybe, and the brake mounting is made for the 40mm older brembo mount, instead of the 65mm from the new ones. I also think the paioli is 730mm long instead of 760 for the v11, but the bike will be a bit more quicker in steering. The triple clamp is 35 mm offset agianst the 40mm from the v11. I think one of the v11's racing in italiy uses the paioli, see guzzisti.it site.

If you are interested in a paioli, A friend in france has one for sale, 300km old= new. He got himself ohlins superbike forks.

his email is: thejmm@yahoo.fr

Ohlins has 3 lines of forks

1. simple the oem, like on the scura/rsv-r/duc ? euro

2. better road and track forks = 2200 euro

3. best superbike forks fg370 = 7000/8000 euro

I think the WP at tlm will be some 1400 euro

Paul, thanks for the additional information on the Paoli. But question: how do the Paoli that your friend in France has compare to one of the three "classes" of Ohlins you list above?

Also, the forks your friend has for sale, are they the same measurements and "issues" as the ones on the G&B site as you mention above, or are they a different model that is a straight equivalent swap for the stock pre-2003 V11 Sport/LeMans?

thx! :)

al

I asked Öhlins about V11 forks since they are not

featured on there website http://www.ohlins.se/

I got the answer that V11 forks are sold (probably

due to contract issues) exclusively by Moto Guzzi.

Someone (not officially) mentioned the a Monster fork

probably would fit OK.

Guest John T

I did the full Ohlins treatment on the R.M.

Ohlins will not sell the Guzzi items directly, must go through Gu$$i.

Did more research and found that the Ohlins for a Ducati monster 900 slip right on with just a small spacer needed for the upper triple clamp. Readily available. Just needed to fabricated a simple mounting point for the stock fender. (easy)

This might not fit the newer bikes with the bars mounted above the triple clamps, measure first!

The rear I ordered from Ohlins with spring rates for my weight. It also has a remote spring pre loader that makes adjustments a simple twist.

This shock is not the one Guzzi uses, it is MUCH more compliant than the stock Guzzi shock and the ones on the Scura.

Happy with suspension.

I can't give a comparison between the Ohlins and the stock V11 suspensions as I haven't ridden the Ohlins version of the bike. I do have a Sport 1100i with the WP components, and the WP stuff seems to be much more compliant than the stock Sachs or whatever is on the V11 Sport. The WP rear shock seems to have a less stiff spring and soaks up road bumps pretty well. I'm not at all good at suspension stuff, don't ride that hard, and haven't ridden the Sport 1100i hardly at all in the last year (it has problems), so it would be hard for me to do a reasonable analysis of the differences. All I can say is that the V11 Sport seems to be too stiff. The Sport 1100i has that extra degree of rake and the slower steering tends to color comparisons because you simply don't ride the bikes in an identical fashion on the same piece of road. The Sport 1100i is more comfortable when riding because it doesn't feel like it's bouncing around on pavement irregularities as much. This is kind of important in California, because we have miserably bad pavement in this state compared to most of the others.

Hey John T.

Do you have the model number and part numbers?

Thanks in advance!

I am interested in the shock absorber and want to make sure I get the right one.

I guess my biggest concerns are buying one with a piggy back resevoir that will not fit, or getting travel that does not match the suspension linkage.

Guest John T

Rear shock is listed on the Ohlins site, just search for guzzi V11. It is part #MG127 Type 46 HRCS

Front forks are the FG43 for Monster 900. Just make sure you get the 65mm spacing for the calipers not the 40mm.

John T,

Did you have to change the front wheel or just the wheel bearings when going to the Monster Ohlins front fork? I believe the front axle is quite abit larger in diameter and is hollow.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest John T

Much to my surprise the stock Guzzi axle was a perfect fit!!

No need for bearing replacement or any fabrication. Guess you could use the high zoot Ducati hollow axle also.

Like I said, the only thing needed was a spacer/shim for the upper triple clamp and some small work to get the stock fender to mount. Spacer was machined by Compu trak.

Note: Might not work on the newer bikes with handlebars mounted above triple clamps.

Measure first.