Griso

belfastguzzi

So next month's (that's December in magazine land) Bike will have a Griso in the Big Test. Wonder what they're pitching it against? What do you think should be in the mix?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So next month's (that's December in magazine land) Bike will have a Griso in the Big Test. Wonder what they're pitching it against? What do you think should be in the mix?

In 99/00 the V11 was pitched against the then also new Honda X-Eleven. Nice test, nice pictures. The X-11 was shown wheelying with the rider sitting on the bars, the V-11 instead with the rider knee and the bike sidestand and exhaust down.

But all in all it was a positive test. "If you want one, buy one!" What more do you want.

This time, and in another magazine, they could send a BMW and one or two of the new ducs as sparring partners into the ring. I think I saw something similar already in MOTORRAD some weeks ago. I should still have it.

Hubert

The 'G' doesn't really compare with much else. I'd think probably some 600/750 monster and a Buelly-thing. Any Guzzi is always going to be handicapped in terms of power, wheelbase and weight in comparison to anything even remotely *modern*.

I was heading into Canberra yesterday and the local dealers demo's went the other way, a black Griso and a black Breva. Seeing a brace of modern Guzzis on the road was so rare I did a u-turn and gave chase, rounded 'em both up in Bungendore and sat with 'em while they had a coffee and discussed the bikes.

One of 'em was BMW rider the other one was coming off a VTR, the BMW bloke thought that the Breva needed a screen and the bloke on the Griso thought, unsurprisingly, that it was underpowered, coming off a VTR you would think that :grin: . The problem is that because the Griso is an '1100'cc bike ordnary folks expect it to have the performance of something like an FZ Yam in terms of power and speed. The fact remains that with Guzzis you have to effectively forget about what the cubic capacity is, it simply isn't relevant. I think of my Griso in much the same way as I'd think about a slightly overweight 600cc machine from virtually any other manufacturer. No, it's not overly fast, yes it's heavy, but I personally find a bit of weight very handy on a road bike and it's stability and steering are second to none. I don't want a 'Racer for the Road' if I did I'd definitely NOT be riding a Guzzi from any year! I'll also try to steer people away from them if this *is* what they want, simply because they will be horribly disappointed.

That's the reason why something like these 'Comparison' tests, (even if you do believe that the journo's are objective!) can't really tell you a lot. They'll always pit the Guzzi against something unsuitable and then make quantatative value judgements based on irrelevancies.

You may not agree, that's fine but it's my :2c:

Pete

PS. The Griso demo is for sale at a substantial discount I believe. It's only got 600Km on it and needs setting up a bit better but if anyone's looking for one it's at Gecko in Canberra.

Pete

Yamaha MT01 (big Jap V Twin Torque machine)

Ducati Monster S2R1000 (different take on a naked Italian twin)

Benelli TNT (naked italian triple)

Harley 1200 Sportster (to make the guzzi seem powerful)

Maybe they could entitle the test "bikes for weirdos".

Griso will score low for power, but will score high for torque, style and originality.

Speed Triple - thats already won one of their tests - seems to a similar size/style, I'd think the Griso would definately come behind that.

What was intresting was the last all "group test winners" group test. The R1200GS which had been heralded as all the bike you ever need came last. They smashed the sump out and the next day crashed (only one they did) of the Ducati 999 and didn't hold that against it in a real world way as they reverted back to racer types.

and the distanced covered on the touring test :P

The riding skills writer stuffed his CBF1000 in to the undergrowth after an overtake into bumpy tarmac leading into a bend. He was quite badly hurt but looks like will mend so it can now be seen as ironic

I did stop buying it, managed a couple of months before relapsing, no hope for me now winter is nearly on us.

That's the reason why something like these 'Comparison' tests, (even if you do believe that the journo's are objective!) can't really tell you a lot. They'll always pit the Guzzi against something unsuitable and then make quantatative value judgements based on irrelevancies.

You may not agree, that's fine but it's my :2c:

Pete

Personaly I cant give a cent about what the magazines would write.There are quite a few of them that are serious in their tests.Sure thing is that Guzzi doesn't get any favors for being what it is from the press.More or less the Griso came second in the MOTORRAD magazine comparsion test ahead of the Ducati S2R 1000 and the Buel X12Ss , behind the BMW R 1200R.

:2c: in anyway though ,motorcycle it is only about taste in riding , and not tests in magazines ( with 'good' or 'bad' critic)

;)

Voxan, any chance?

Wish they'd put it against a V.11 and a 1200Sport, to see what's what.

That's an interesting pic. The bike has what appears to be the hi-cam motor in? Is that one of the early publicity shots? Or are they the fabled 4V heads for the pushrod donk?

I was assuming it to be the pre-production model. It's from one of those sites that says it has 5 speed box, etc :blush: