Trans oil change -- Graphic swarf photo

guzziownr

Trans oil changed, neutral switch swapped thanks to Moto Int. and Greg Field ("We stand by what we sell, it's a small showroom")

Oil was milky, steel and rubber washer replaced by aluminum crush washer. Yucky swarf picture below:

swarf.jpg

DW

That seems pretty normal to me. I saw the same thing when I changed my trans fluid. Btw I hope you used RedLine Heavy Shockproof, that made a big improvent in my bike. I havent drained the Redline from my tranny yet but I expect to see less of that metal on my magnet when I do.

That seems pretty normal to me. I saw the same thing when I changed my trans fluid. Btw I hope you used RedLine Heavy Shockproof, that made a big improvent in my bike. I havent drained the Redline from my tranny yet but I expect to see less of that metal on my magnet when I do.

Thanks for the support. When my Jackal was new I saw a similar amount of swarf. Less as time went on.

I wanted to use the redline but I don't know where to get it. (I am in NYC) Since I was changing the switch I did the oil as well. I just used the heaviest I could find in the auto store and plan to change again soon.

DW

Guest Gary Cheek

Thanks for the support. When my Jackal was new I saw a similar amount of swarf. Less as time went on.

I wanted to use the redline but I don't know where to get it. (I am in NYC) Since I was changing the switch I did the oil as well. I just used the heaviest I could find in the auto store and plan to change again soon.

DW

WHich Red-Line shockproof? There are three different grades aren't there?

If the oil was milky looking it's because it's got water in it so it's formed a mayonaise. This is a particular problem on V11's, especially those regularly ridden in the rain, because the gearbox breather is directly in line with the spray from the rear tyre. To be honest it wasn't the Guzzi design shop's finest hour :bbblll: To prevent a reccurence of the problem it's possible to make a *shield* out of something, (It doesn't have to be as hideous as Greg's whiskey fueled inner-tube offering in the Bodge thread but that'll work fine :grin: ) A piece of perspex cut to fit in the triangular part of the shock cantilever brace and drilled so it can be retained by cable ties seems to be the commonest form I've seen but I haven't seen a lot of them so someone else will almost certainly have a better idea.

As for the frag on the plug? Well, you'll always get frag. That does look a bit extreme to me but how serious it is will of course be dependent on how long it was since the oil was last changed and ow brutal you and the PO were with gearchanging.

Pete

... A piece of perspex cut to fit in the triangular part of the shock cantilever brace and drilled so it can be retained by cable ties seems to be the commonest form I've seen ...

I'll get right on that.

As for the frag on the plug? Well, you'll always get frag. That does look a bit extreme to me but how serious it is will of course be dependent on how long it was since the oil was last changed and ow brutal you and the PO were with gearchanging.

Pete

Brutal gearchanging! My size 14s have the delicate touch of a ballet dancer.

I do make more changes per mile than the average person. It's that NYC traffic. BTW how did the young 'n like our little town?

SHE (who must be obeyed) ordered me 4 quarts of the best from these folks.

http://www.hrpworld.com/RedLineShockproofG...;action=product

I'll get right on that....

Try a search. There's a few of us made em up & there was a a chap (Edge) made up a run of them for sale: search for Edge guard. Also I think it was Al R posted a measured drawing of one he made.

I cut one from a racing # plate: very light but strong black plastic. Protects the shock too.

KB :sun:

Edge makes a VERY fine EdgeGuard. It's black and textured so as to not be noticed. It fits into the swingarm nicely. It's formed to fit the tubes. I made one based on Al Rothlisberger's design which I replaced as soon as I saw Edge's.

If the oil was milky looking it's because it's got water in it so it's formed a mayonaise. This is a particular problem on V11's, especially those regularly ridden in the rain, because the gearbox breather is directly in line with the spray from the rear tyre. To be honest it wasn't the Guzzi design shop's finest hour :bbblll: To prevent a reccurence of the problem it's possible to make a *shield* out of something, (It doesn't have to be as hideous as Greg's whiskey fueled inner-tube offering in the Bodge thread but that'll work fine :grin: ) A piece of perspex cut to fit in the triangular part of the shock cantilever brace and drilled so it can be retained by cable ties seems to be the commonest form I've seen but I haven't seen a lot of them so someone else will almost certainly have a better idea.

Instead of a shield, I removed the vent plug from the gearbox, lopped the cheesy little cap off and soldered in a small piece of 1/4" copper tube bent at 90 degrees. Put the plug back in, attached some rubber hose to the copper tube and ran the other end up underneath the seat where I knew spray wouldn't work its way in. Haven't had the pea soup/frothy pink in my gearbox since... I'd post pics if my digital camera wasn't such a hunk o' s**t.

:grin:

If you touch the spikes it's probably only small flakes and metal powder. The magneto and the Moly build up such nice spikes, at least on my 66.000 kms used v11.

Besides that, it probably won't live for ever...

Hubert

Instead of a shield, I removed the vent plug from the gearbox, lopped the cheesy little cap off and soldered in a small piece of 1/4" copper tube bent at 90 degrees. Put the plug back in, attached some rubber hose to the copper tube and ran the other end up underneath the seat where I knew spray wouldn't work its way in. Haven't had the pea soup/frothy pink in my gearbox since... I'd post pics if my digital camera wasn't such a hunk o' s**t.

:grin:

The inner tube shield is pretty much an essential anyway (and at no cost) as it keeps crud off bits like the rear shock. I also put an extended breather tube up to under the seat, but didn't solder in a copper tube. Just take the cap off and wire on a hose.

Belt and braces.

post-890-1161642757.jpg

post-890-1161642780.jpgpost-890-1161642797.jpg

DSCN4099.jpg

DSCN4091.jpg

DSCN4097.jpg

Edge makes a VERY fine EdgeGuard. It's black and textured so as to not be noticed. It fits into the swingarm nicely. It's formed to fit the tubes. I made one based on Al Rothlisberger's design which I replaced as soon as I saw Edge's.

Sounds great! Where do I get one of these gems?