Tighten Up Those Filters, Boys . . .

Greg Field

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets re-vist Greg's first post.

Heard of another V11 Sport today dead because the filter backed off. That makes three in the last month and two in the last week that I personally know of. He, too, called needing rod shells and bolts. Guzzi is out of rod bearings and rod bolts. Coincidence? You decide.

Tighten the filter well, and watch your oil light. It is also considered wise by some to use a hose clamp to be double-dog sure it won't come loose without your blessing.

I can't see anywhere that he's saying it's compulsory to fit a hose clamp. All he says is that he's heard of three that it's happened to in the last month, there have been a couple more since then I believe. The suggestion of the hose clamp is simply added as an idea after the suggestion of making doubly sure that the filter is done up tight.

Since this thread started there seems to have been an amazing amount of negative invective floating around? Sorry, I just can't understand it. No doubt this will be written off off as another example of me and Greg along with Mike Harper and a variety of other long term Guzzisti being 'Blowhards' with some sort of vested interest in promulgating falsehoods to befuddle and bemuse unsuspecting owners for our own capricious greed. Sorry, that simply isn't the case. Whether people choose to believe me or not is of course completely up to them and I can't and wouldn't want to speak for anybody else as, as far as I'm concerned, we are all supposed to be grown ups here.

All I can see in Gregs original post was a heads-up that there seemed to have been a rash of looening filters and there was no known explanation as to why it was happening so it would be a good idea for everyone who uses the later *tall* filter to take especially good care when installing it. The idea of the hose clamp was just a suggestion. :huh2:

Anyone is free to do any damn thing they like with their bikes. I thought the whole point of boards like this was to share information, not point-score and try to run other people down? Perhaps I'm wrong???

Pete

I can't see anywhere that he's saying it's compulsory to fit a hose clamp. All he says is that he's heard of three that it's happened to in the last month, there have been a couple more since then I believe. The suggestion of the hose clamp is simply added as an idea after the suggestion of making doubly sure that the filter is done up tight.

Since this thread started there seems to have been an amazing amount of negative invective floating around? Sorry, I just can't understand it. No doubt this will be written off off as another example of me and Greg along with Mike Harper and a variety of other long term Guzzisti being 'Blowhards' with some sort of vested interest in promulgating falsehoods to befuddle and bemuse unsuspecting owners for our own capricious greed. Sorry, that simply isn't the case. Whether people choose to believe me or not is of course completely up to them and I can't and wouldn't want to speak for anybody else as, as far as I'm concerned, we are all supposed to be grown ups here.

All I can see in Gregs original post was a heads-up that there seemed to have been a rash of looening filters and there was no known explanation as to why it was happening so it would be a good idea for everyone who uses the later *tall* filter to take especially good care when installing it. The idea of the hose clamp was just a suggestion. :huh2:

Anyone is free to do any damn thing they like with their bikes. I thought the whole point of boards like this was to share information, not point-score and try to run other people down? Perhaps I'm wrong???

Pete

I'm with ya but don't like the idea of a clamp in there, any idea if the backing off filters were possibly all the same 'cheap' aftermarket from somewhere? I'm going to get a K&N filter this spring for'er have any of these backed off? I might just put a smidge of weak lock tight and a good extra firm crank on'er and let'er buck. should I worry? hmm. I wonder if Motoprimo actaully replaced my filter or if they couldn't get the stock one off and left it. how long would the original be good for? :lol:

I might just put a smidge of weak lock tight and a good extra firm crank on'er and let'er buck. should I worry? hmm.

Where do you propose to put the loktite? If you are thinking of on the threads then I myself would worry if it were my bike. I would worry using loktite anywhere on an oil filter for that matter .....

This is one of the rare safeguards I think is a no brainer. With my guzzi's, I have a policy, anything that falls off 3 times wasn't meant to be there... However, I wont be testing this with my filters. Cant see any down side... I'm sure Greg and Pete will make a killing on their hose clamp stocks though :homer:

Guest Gary Cheek

Pete Roper Quote;

"I can't see anywhere that he's saying it's compulsory to fit a hose clamp."

....Nor is the other side forbidding that use.

Part of the issue here is that some of us firmly beleive this is like an accelerating Audi syndrome. We are convinced that most if not every single one of the loose filters is an installation problem. We voice the opinion and the reasons we don't care to add un-needed potential shrapnel into our crankase. At that point we get the horsey shit type blather for not heeding the Guru's directive. We aren't saying not to use the filter/hose clamp any more than the other side says to use it. Why anyone is bringing the money element in is pretty petty bullshit either way.

Don't just read Greg's FIRST post. To get the real picture you will have to read the OTHER threads here and elsewhere, on the subject. This one is very tame by comparison.

Read every reply when someone gives an opinion on why they feel no need to comply with Greg's directive. Not to mention solid reasons for NOT putting the clamp in the sump. At the first heads up it was pointed out that the filters were most likely not properly tightened. (If they are tightened with a TORQUE wrench they are VERY LIKELY not properly tightened). That is when the fun began.

Greg, you can take your Cobra pipe issues up with Cap Nemo. I have no idea what that is all about. Nor do I care in the least.

Let's also re-read the reasons for not using the clamp. I think the reasons against outweigh the reason given for. No brainer? Only if you don't think it through.

This is one of the rare safeguards I think is a no brainer. With my guzzi's, I have a policy, anything that falls off 3 times wasn't meant to be there... However, I wont be testing this with my filters. Cant see any down side... I'm sure Greg and Pete will make a killing on their hose clamp stocks though :homer:

As one of the "victims" of the "roached engine" (Greg's technical term) for whom Greg has been wonderful at sourcing parts for, let me offer a great tip on saving money on the hose clamp.

After intense negotiation on purchase of crank, cylinder, rods, cam, etc. - I got Greg to throw in the hose clamp for free thereby foiling his attempt to become obscenely rich selling these high margin devices!

Though I am certainly not out to materially harm Greg, Pete or anyone else that makes a living selling hose clamps to Guzzitsi, I felt compelled in all good conscience to share this shrewd negotiating tactic with all the fine members of this forum. :bier:

BTW - for those who might ask, my oil filter was installed by an authorized Guzzi dealer at the 600 mile break in service and came loose at about 1900 miles. I have not personally seen the filter but assume it was UFI. Guzzi will not cover this under warranty so it certainly does not seem that they acknowledge any design issues. Regretably the dealer is not taking ownership either so we have to seek a higher power for settlement.

Well, have a nice argument folks.

:2c: I think all this sloppage sheet and hose clamp stuff is a bit like the sky falling due to global warming. Maybe there are a few bikes out there that will benefit from a sheet if they are ridden hard or hoist a minger regularly, and maybe if every Guzzi was fitted with a hose clamp on the filter, no filters would ever have fallen off.

Trouble is, it's all maybe this and that.

Myself, I don't ride it hard, pull wheelies or let the oil level fall much below full. I wasted money on new relays when I first got the bike because of what I read on here. Guess what. 12000 miles later the Siemens relays are still in there and working fine.

Beware the GUZZICHONDRIACS!

Guest Gary Cheek

A Dealer doing sub-standard work? Now that's a new one!

Another excellent reason for doing the work here at home. :luigi:

Price has never been a consideration here. I haven't yet seen the price of the hose clamp mentioned by anyone other than those who may use them. I already buy the high priced oil and up graded filters even though some say that money is wasted. :D .

Come to think of it my bikes still have the Siemans relays too! Maybe a good time to toss those silly Chinese spare relays I've been toting around like little good luck charms for the last 50,000 miles!

I wasted money on new relays when I first got the bike because of what I read on here. Guess what. 12000 miles later the Siemens relays are still in there and working fine.

How often is your headlight on durring those 12,000 miles?

US bikes have the headlight on constantly with the current going through the starter relay.

It may make a difference if you turn your headlight on after starting.

Not using your horn or the highbeam flasher will also extend the relay's life.

Using the high beam flasher or the horn while the low beam is on is what probably pushes the current over the load rating of the relay.

It certainly could be you got the relays from a good batch. :bier:

But there is a fundamental wiring problem on the early US V11s.

But yes, one CAN go thousands of miles before the problem starts, especially if you don't use the high beam flasher nor the horn, or you don't ride with the headlight on.

I suppose some people's bikes put out 14.0 V and some put out 14.5 V.

This can change the stress loads on the relay.

Mine was putting out a maximum of 14.3-14.5V before the regulator died :(

A Dealer doing sub-standard work? Now that's a new one!

Another excellent reason for doing the work here at home. :luigi:

Price has never been a consideration here. I haven't yet seen the price of the hose clamp mentioned by anyone other than those who may use them. I already buy the high priced oil and up graded filters even though some say that money is wasted. :D .

Come to think of it my bikes still have the Siemans relays too! Maybe a good time to toss those silly Chinese spare relays I've been toting around like little good luck charms for the last 50,000 miles!

While it may be that this subtopic on this thread may disapear quickly, I had to comment. I'm very glad that the Seimens relays are doing well for you. I however had nothing but issues with mine from day one. Many attempts by the dealer, giving me handfulls of replacement Seimens did nothing. It wasn't until I purchased [for the dizzying price of 1 pound each] those silly Chinese relays did this constant relay failure stop. I am not a proponent of the job robbing trade practices of China, and in my business I am constantly faced with installation of horrifically bad quality products from China. I can tell you that these silly little relays had a huge input into my current ownership of my V11 Sport. Without them, my bike would have been gone long ago!!

And now, back to the talks of hose clamps and thread locktighton oil filters!!! :wacko:

Ciao, Steve

Pete

I don't see why any of this needs to be hostile. Greg is a knowledgeable guy with lots of Guzzi experience. He gave me some great advise on the install of the Motobits foot controls I bought from him (I got a couple of sump gaskets that day too!)

He brought an issue to light, he suggested a bit of insurance. All of that is OK. Some of us however don't think it is necessary. From the sound of the replies, some of us have had spent some time around spin-on filters. It is all personal choice, if you loose sleep worrying about your filter creeping off while you are not looking, add a clamp. As far as I'm concerned, if I put my filter on properly I don't think it will come off until I take it off, and if the issue is faulty or poorly formed threads, then a clamp will not help anyway.

I thought these "discussion" boards were about discussion. Doesn't that require more than one point of view?

This is getting a little silly. I'm going to see if there are any new hooters now......

I thought these "discussion" boards were about discussion. Doesn't that require more than one point of view?

...and sometimes we have disagreement.

Nobody is getting out of line here.

Pete Roper is whining about a little disagreement, but if you post something he disagrees with,and he hasn't had his meds, he often starts cursing and raging like a barbarian warlord!

111_bone_barbarian.jpg

But we love him anyway(or maybe because of it).