Lest We Forget

helicopterjim R.I.P.

.... They have been fighting all their life for recognition....

Now, that's exactly the point. What for? Why did they have to fight for recognition all their life? Because no one in the land that sent them was interested in what they did after they came home. Maybe because they've lost? Does win or lose make any difference for those who are dead, blown up, mutilated, disabled?

Hubert

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has a danger of missing the point of itself.

For all those who have died in War

"They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them."

This thread has a danger of missing the point of itself.

For all those who have died in War

"They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them."

That's fine. Then why do we not stop sending people in new wars, so that those could be remembered one day as Grandpas? That's the point that should not be missed.

We remember and the next day we start it all over again. That's not keeping those who have fallen in respectfull remembrance. They were cheaten then, and now they're cheaten again, as long as people pop up at their graves from time to time and mumble something about "not died for nothing" and the very same moment start a new war somewhere else.

I'm very sure that in countries with a vivid history of war very large groups of veterans can be found that fight against war more or less exactly for these reasons. "Look what happened to us! Stop making happen this to others!"

Guest Barnapkin

Don't the korean war vets face the same issue here in the states?? They participated in a UN "police action", not a conflict in which the US offically declared war. The Korean war vets can only join the American Legion, but not the VFW. Silly.

I think Bush declared war just so the VFW could open it's doors to new members.

All joking aside, too many folks in truly democratic counties take their freedoms for granted. Regardless of your politics, no soldier should be berated for doing his duty.

I do not think that post is appropriate Dave.

We are trying to remember the soldiers and not the politicians who directed them.

Jim

I agree Jim,

And there will be no further opportunity to "Vote Bush Out".

I tried, both times.

Pull the post, Dave.

It is an affront to the 99.9% of service men and women who have done their jobs, as directed.

I agree Jim,

And there will be no further opportunity to "Vote Bush Out".

I tried, both times.

Pull the post, Dave.

It is an affront to the 99.9% of service men and women who have done their jobs, as directed.

Just to be clear, which post, 15 where I toast gay soldiers, or post 21 where I roast commiters of attrocities?

Assuming you mean post 21 as it affronts Bush, I'll pull it if Barnapkin retracts their statement, "Regardless of your politics, no soldier should be berated for doing his duty."

I mean no affront to 99.999% of service men and women.

How dare you accuse me of such a thing!

Why do you see it as an affront?

Are we even speaking the same language?!?!?!?!

Am I adding more insult as I remind you what many of our nation's veterans fought against in WWII

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/execute. jpg

LEST WE FORGET );

Just to be clear, which post, 15 where I toast gay soldiers, or post 21 where I roast commiters of attrocities?

Assuming you mean post 21 as it affronts Bush, I'll pull it if Barnapkin retracts their statement, "Regardless of your politics, no soldier should be berated for doing his duty."

I mean no affront to 99.999% of service men and women.

How dare you accuse me of such a thing!

Why do you see it as an affront?

Are we even speaking the same language?!?!?!?!

Am I adding more insult as I remind you what many of our nation's veterans fought against in WWII

LEST WE FORGET );

That would be post #21, with the flashing/cycling pictures.

The thread started as a salute to veterans.

I see it as akin to a post recognizing Mother's Day, and someone feeling the need to point out some

whacked-out POS who killed their child in a crib with a claw hammer.

Pictures included.

I didn't accuse you of anything other than overstepping the bounds of what I see as appropriate.

You may see things differently. I'm ok with that.

I was offended by your post. I thougt it way out of line.

If that bothers you, I am ok with that as well.

The thread was about veterans.

I thank and respect them for what they have done.

We have other threads here about Abu Ghirab, Saddam hanging, etc.

I had a relative killed in Lebanon in 1989-1990.

On a "UN peacekeeping mission".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_R._Higgins

So no, you don't have to remind me what our veterans have fought against.

And, I will spare you the graphic details of his death. It was far from pretty.

:2c: well we have ANZAC DAY 25th april which recognises every one who served whether it be overseas the home guard or home industries to support the war efforts. many veterans would have little to do with industries established in the name of vets such as the RSL [returned soldiers league] ''LEST WE FORGET''

I didn't accuse you of anything other than overstepping the bounds of what I see as appropriate.

You may see things differently. I'm ok with that.

I was offended by your post. I thougt it way out of line.

If that bothers you, I am ok with that as well.

Good, I saw it as what you said literally, that I was making an affront to good soldiers.

That is bullocks!

I am not the one that brought up the topic of berating soldiers, and I don't like blanket statements that absolve evil doers.

Out of respect for the threads initial purpose, I pulled the embedded graphic and left the link to the graphic.

Mr. Dlaing and Mr. Luhbo,

Please respect this series of posts. This is not a political thing. It is not a pro or anti war thing. It is simply a nod, and lowering of the head, with pride and respect, to those who gave their life, their body, their mind, in war, in combat. Nothing else.

Please.

Ciao, Steve

Good, I saw it as what you said literally, that I was making an affront to good soldiers.

That is bullocks!

I am not the one that brought up the topic of berating soldiers, and I don't like blanket statements that absolve evil doers.

Out of respect for the threads initial purpose, I pulled the embedded graphic and left the link to the graphic.

Thank you Dave. I was only bothered by the reference to politicians even though I understood what your meaning was. I can see by your last sentence that you feel as much for the soldiers as anyone.

Again thank you.

Jim

I can see by your last sentence that you feel as much for the soldiers as anyone.

But not as much as people who have lost someone close in war, and probably not as much as those who believe in a war's cause. But regardless of a war's cause, I have to great respect for anyone* who has put their life on the line for their country.

*except the vast minority that abuse their power.

Mr. Dlaing and Mr. Luhbo,

Please respect this series of posts. This is not a political thing. It is not a pro or anti war thing. It is simply a nod, and lowering of the head, with pride and respect, to those who gave their life, their body, their mind, in war, in combat. Nothing else.

Please.

Ciao, Steve

Don't bait me and I won't get hooked. (FWIW I am not the one that started politicizing the topic. I felt baited by Ratchet post#2 and Nogbad post #3 and BarNapkin post #19 I could not resist)

And don't forget, it was Veterans Day, and a salute to all veterans, not just those who gave themselves to war and to combat.