did you know?

scre103

I'm not standing over my bike to check(plus I have aftermarket reservoirs) but in most of my experience with the "race" plastic reservoirs, they are mounted with a rubber grommet and metal bushing such that you can tighten them, but it will allow the mount and reservoir itself to move about on it's rubber "cushion" to absorb vibration.

This keeps the plastic mounting tab from breaking(although they still do at times) from fatigue.

So to answer your question, unless the mount/reservoir is flopping around loosely, it is normal for the mount/arm to be able to move with some small effort even if the bushing is tight.

al

This is true. There should be some 'play' in the mount.

Recently I discovered a crack at the hole where the bracket mounts to the clip-on. This soon became a 2-piece bracket. It is apparent that the lower mounting hole (slot?) extends into the bend. Certainly a formula for fracture with this level of vibration.

I've got the reservoirs from Rizoma and like them quite a bit. I think they look pretty snazzy and are a bit smaller than stock, which I would think in combination with any bar-risers would be an advantage toward fairing clearance. Further, the stalks are chrome-plated steel, so that also a plus on the durability side. ...although I see on their website that they've updated them a bit.

On the down side though, the Rizoma's have(had? ..new models may not, I can't tell from the photo) a near useless tiny oval sight-glass, that is actually plexiglass. I've never heard of any of them failing, but I keep an eye on mine, as they have the usual stress marks from plexi that has bolts torqued down upon it. I might have to replace them with something more durable at a later date. Fortunately there is a "TAP" plastics store around the corner from my house and I'm sure they could come up with something better for me easily.

You can see some photos of mine mounted in my Yahoo briefcase, just follow the link on my profile here if interested.

al

the screw and rubber grommets are completely tight but the whole reservoir can still easly move back and forth. nothing seems broken or cracked. i guess i just never noticed this before. in a cycle mag i once saw a reservoir that was an anodized red color and machined out of aluminum. i should have cut out that ad. has anyone else seen that before?

Sure, they are actually fairly common as an aftermarket replacement, but I don't recall the brand off hand. I'd just do a "google" for them and I'm sure you'll find some.

The only thing I didn't like about these though were that in every case I found, the "brand" was machined into the top of the cap. Too "squidly" for me :rolleyes:

al

last night i went through every freakin motocycle mag i have and would'nt you know that i would find the ad for the brake fluid reservoir in the last mag. it's made by "hooligan". they have several different colors of anodized aluminum and you are right al they have hooligan etched into the cover. there is a view slot so you could see the fluid level. i would like to know if they have the smaller size for the left brake, i'll have to call them!